Birthing Like Your Mother?

Autaven

Reaction score
Just an off question as I've never heard it mentioned before - if it has then please if you could point me in the right direction.

Which of you who have already given birth - done so in the same way as your mother? For example if you required an emergency section, did your mother as well? Anyone have the same problems as their mother or was it a completely different experience?

I ask only because I'm in fear of giving birth like mine, who was rushed into surgery after not being able to dilate more than 3cm.

both me and my mam went overdue, needed inducing, had epidurals, tore/episiotomy, and had large babies.

so yep was the same for me.

Both my mother and I were induced for medical reasons, had long labours, epidurals and intervention (me ventouse, her forceps).

Only difference is, I was born at 34 wks, my son was full term :)

Both my mum and I gave birth early for medical reasons (her diabetes, me asthma), she was enduced, I wasn't allowed to be enduced, so it was a c-section for me, and my mum ended up having a c-section too!

So yep, the same!

xxx

Completely different!

My mum said that I apparently popped out without much pain using only gas and air.

Daniel was delivered with forceps, with hardly any pain relief. The last couple of hours hurt...lots! I dilated very quickly though. Mind you, I want to do it all again though so it couldn't have been that bad :lol:

We both had relatively quick labours (the combined labour time for me, my sister and my son is less than 9 hours!) and only used gas and air, so I think we were pretty similar.

my brother and I were both overdue, I was breech and emergency section, my little brother was a planned section.

My son was born normally at 39 weeks using only gas and air....

My mum had me on my due date with average labour, i went overdue with Ellie, was induced with a looong labour! So no completely different!

My mum was induced with me and I was induced with Lucy. That's where it ends, my mum gave birth with gas & air and 2nd degree tare (she still reminds me of my big head!) I had to have an emergency section despite getting to 9cm Lucy was having difficulty and wasn't progressing well.

However my mum's first baby (me) was 6lb 13oz and my first baby (Lucy) was 6lb 14oz so dunno if size ties in in the same way?

My labour and birth with Eva was spookily like my Mums experience with me except I was a week late and Eva was pretty punctual!
But dont freak yourself out about it, every pregnancy and baby is different so just because ypur mum had a hard time doesnt mean you will, also remember things are done a lot differently these days, my Mum was strapped to a bed for her whole labour and was so happy for me bouncing away on a ball during mine!
Good luck :hug:

My mum lost two baby girls at 22 weeks, had me 3.5 weeks early and my brother 6 weeks early.

Can't comment on my birth yet but I can tell you that as of today Connie is NOT early! :rotfl:

I don't know, my Mum was with me when Ella was born and she never said it was like hers. She had to have her placenta removed manually and I didn't.

Nope. My mum was hospitalised with high blood pressure but went naturally the day before I was due. My waters broke but nothing happened and I had to be induced.

She had no problems with her epidural, I did. I had a retained placenta, she didn't.

both our labours started ith waterb breaking but she had a normal birth 9 hours later with no pain relief, I gave birth 33 hours later, back to back after having TENS, G+A, dimorphine and an epidural. I was nearly 3 weeks late, Jake was born 2 days befoe DD.

my first labour/birth was NOTHING like my mums. mine was much MUCH worse. lol.

my second labour was very like my mums. :)

I don't actually know about my own birth :( Personally I think it's just coincidence if women birth as their Mothers birthed them, birth is so unique to each individual, the mental response alone can change the perception of two similar births :hug:
Wanted to pass on this link :hug:

http://www.nctsales.co.uk/prodshow.asp? ... &parent=69

i asked exactly the same question on here before i had mine.

My mum- had to be induced, had a long and traumatic first labour, and a big baby girl

Me- spontanoeus labour a week early, a quick and easy birth, and an average sized baby girl :cheer:

Nope! I was born on time, weighing 6lb 7oz, naturally with no pain relief and no stitches.

Ella was born 2 weeks early weighing 7lb 13oz, with forceps, an epidural and an episiotomy.

My mum had me 4 days early after a 6 hour labour, she was induced because of back problems. I weighed 7lb 2oz. She said my birth was an awful experience compared to my sisters 4 years later!

I went into labour spontaneously at 8 days over due, my labour was 6.5 hours long, I had to have an episiotomy and Jacob was 8lb 15oz! My labour was a wonderful experience and Jacob is my first :D

both me and mum had loonnng labours followed by emergency C sections as we were not dilating due to small pelvis....

mum was with me and said it was really spooky as though time was repeating itself...

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back