Birthing ball

keli

Reaction score
I bought a gym ball blew it up the other week and its really small.. don't know why but expected it to be big. I'm only 5ft2 and my ball is 22ins. Does that sound right? And when i sit on it it hurts my back after a while.. anyone else have this problem? xx

60cms it should be and when you sit on it your hips should be higher than your knees and tilting you forward.

*edit* Oops 65 cms I meant. Sorry

Thanks Sherlock i'm thinking it ok then it 55cms about right and just sat on it and hips are higher than knees. x

keli said:
Thanks Sherlock i'm thinking it ok then it 55cms about right and just sat on it and hips are higher than knees. x

That sounds right.

I think its a case of you learning the posture and finding a comfy position. I tend not to open my hips too much when sat on it bouncing and rocking etc. I also keep a straight back as I find if I curve it I get a bit of an ache. But its the hips being higher and the tilt forward that makes the most difference.

Also build up on it, 10 minutes a couple of times a day and work up from there.

Hope it gets better :)

I'm around 5ft and I think mine is 65cm. A lot of the websites selling birth balls seem to only stock 65cm or 75cm :think:

I meant 65 cms, my bad.

Although I'd think smaller ladies could use a smaller size. So long as hips are above knees etc its doing its job.

I had to get teh 75cm one as I am over 5'8

I'm such a hippo at the moment mine deflates quite quickly, I keep having to blow it up :lol:

Have you fully inflated it? I thought my first one was too small (it was OH's sister's) so bought another. I noticed as I pumped it up that it did look done long before it was and sure enough, when I checked the box of the other ball it was big enough but OH hadn't pumped it up enough :wall:

I bought one... think its the smaller size one.

But im small.. so... :)

mine is 65cm

i am quite small but it needs pumping up a couple of times a week as i sit on it all the time for the computer...browsing forum and internet

i cant sit on normal chairs due to backache....and lovely things like pile :oops:

I'm prob just being stupid but....

what is the purpose of a birthing ball?? :oops:

Sitting or rocking on the ball encourages the baby to get into a good position for labour. Can help prevent it going back to back.

Bouncing on it can help encourage labour.

Once in labour rocking and moving your pelvis in circular movements can help the baby move downwards so you dilate quicker. Apparantly can help with the pain too.
You can also kneel in front of it with your arms drapped over the ball.

I've started sitting on mine when I'm on the puter, and I find it more comfy than a chair when I've got period pain or backache. Also a lot easier to get off it, then getting off the sofa! :lol:

ETA: Asda do a 65cm gym ball complete with pump for £4.99 that does the job :D

thankyou :D i may have to find mine when my room is finished and start some bouncing, im finding chairs uncomfotable now, will be interesting to know what position shes in at mdiwfie next week

You can also do numerous other exercises with it to help get your body into shape for labour. I have mine pressed against the wall and use it rolling it up and down with my back etc. Got a leaflet with pregnant lady exercises on it when I ordered mine :D

Mine was £4.99 from Argos, 65cm too I think - my friend came round at the weekend and told me it was too big for me :shock: can't be right!

I like my ball it's CUMF!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back