Birth Ball Help Please (come and Sherlock and Co..) :)

fuffins1981

Reaction score
Hi Ladies (Singled you out Sherry, because you know so much....So, I rely on your fountain of knowledge!)

My Oh got a gym ball out the garage today for me today....Is this the same as a birth ball??

And, when is best to start using one? And what are the best excercises?

Most sites are just set on selling them and books and don't really give helpful info.

Sorry if these are silly questions :?

Sophs x

Pretty much yes :D mine is a gym ball and they do the same job
i already had the gym ball so didnt have to go and buy one
When i quired it with my mid wife she said its fine to use as there the same thing really

so get a bouncing girl it :cheer: dose work most of the time anyway :lol:

sarah :wave:

Thank you Sarah :)

I quizzed him on if it was his or is exes first. He said hi. Hmmmm :rotfl:

Doesn't matter really....Back to the issue at hand lol

I read somewhere it can help to relive backache and spd. So am looking forward to it.

I am a big girl, so I wont bounce TOO hard :rotfl:

bouncing.gif

I love my gym ball its good for back pain your right
didnt work for me last night :( but usually it dose :D so defently use it!!!!!
Have fun :D

I have a gym ball at my computer desk instead of a chair!
Its helped with my posture and pelvic pain. Its also great fun! :lol:

bhe101 said:
I have a gym ball at my computer desk instead of a chair!
Its helped with my posture and pelvic pain. Its also great fun! :lol:

Thats a really good idea. I will try that :)

OK lol :lol:

Gym ball is fine. How tall are you? I am guessing its the right size for your height?

Need to have it so your hips are higher than your knees and feet flat to the floor. Encourages baby forward and takes pressure off your back and internal organs. Sitting bolt upright or back is best avoided. My MW said to not use it before 30 weeks.

Exercises I do (I got a birth ball with a leaflet on use in pregnancy) are rocking back and forth on it and also side to side. I do rotate slowly also. I don't actually really ever bounce up and down on mine but many do.

I also use mine for leaning over for support when I can't be bothered to be on all fours.

Also you can use it to do exercises that are benificial to and during labour.

Standing - Place ball between your back and wall. Feet shoulder width apart, knees slightly bent. Gently moving up and down in small squats or rocking side to side.

Squat - Facilitates the dilation of the uterus during contractions.With partners help - You squat with your back resting on the ball, feet flat on floor, legs apart, bottom raised with your arms resting on on your partners thighs. Hold position for a few minutes, breathing naturally.

You can make shapes with your pelvis. Going in circles, triangles (forward, side, side), spirals (circles getting smaller then bigger), squares (front left, ront right, back right, back left...).

Mostly I bounce! Stay close to other bits of furniture to grab if you tilt / fall if you tend to get over enthusiastic about the bouncing like I do :D It's like a stationary space hopper :rotfl:

I use a gym ball although if this baby doesnt hurry up I'll be over the weight limit :rotfl:

I never sit on a chair really, just the ball. I stick my music on and bust a groove on the ball for an hour or two 8)

Thank you Sherry and Co :)

I am 6ft2.5, so am guessing I need a bigger ball! :shock:

Thank you ladies for all your helpful responses. I didn't do anything with my son and ended up with a back to back labour, where I took ages to dilate.

So, this time I want to do the ball and then start raspberry leaf later....I don't want to be in labour forever!!

fuffins1981 said:
Thank you Sherry and Co :)

I am 6ft2.5, so am guessing I need a bigger ball! :shock:

Thank you ladies for all your helpful responses. I didn't do anything with my son and ended up with a back to back labour, where I took ages to dilate.

So, this time I want to do the ball and then start raspberry leaf later....I don't want to be in labour forever!!

5'10 and over = tall :lol: Means you need a 75cm ball inlfated to 75cm diameter (circumference 235cm)

I'm 5'9 and have gone for this anyways. Should be fine for you also even though you are a fair bit taller.

Thank you :) The ball seems quite big....so gonna get OH to measure it lol

Tried the all fours way earlier....and it felt lovely :)

:) the midwife at the antenatal day was demonstrating ways to use the ball and she fell of backwards... i probably shouldn't have laughed but i did...

BabyBee said:
:) the midwife at the antenatal day was demonstrating ways to use the ball and she fell of backwards... i probably shouldn't have laughed but i did...

:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:
Don't!! I will pee myself!! :rotfl:

I would have laughed too. That is sooo funny :rotfl:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111