• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Best age to start swimming lessons

Hazel

Reaction score
I really enjoy swimming and DH and I used to go a lot before pregnancy SPD put a stop to that so I want to start going as a family regularly soon. My local pool does something called aquababe classes for under 5's so didn't know if it was worth taking Connie to them or if she is still a little young to get any benefit out of it yet. I rang the pool and they said they have the instructor there to show you what to do to help get babies used to water. It's only £2 so thought it might be fun. Anybody else go to these sort of classes and what do you do?

We've taken her twice whilst on holiday a few weeks ago but I clung onto her for dear life while we were in the water. She didn't cry just looked a bit worried.

I have always thought it is a good idea to start asap. We are taking Olivia tomorrow to a parents & tots session. Will let you know how we get on.

(FWIW my dad taught me, my bro & sis when we were tiny and we are all good swimmers and have always enjoyed it.)

My friend is an instructor for Swim Babes and she has taken me & Maia through a few lessons and she says its much easier to teach a new baby to swim as opposed to one that is past 6 months old. When baby's get to 6 months old the gag reflex opens up so more chance of swallowing water when they go under, whereas if they go before this age they learn to hold their breath whilst their reflex is still closed so when it does open they are holding their breath anyway.

Its amazing to see babies swimming, Maia has her eyes wide open when she goes under its really freaky!

They get the babies to go under water :shock: . I'm definitely going to go along to it next week :D .

Hazel said:
They get the babies to go under water :shock: . I'm definitely going to go along to it next week :D .

Google baby swimming and you will get loads of results, take a look at the website and they usually have some photos of babies swimming underwater. UrchinRock do all the photo sessions at my friends work so maybe they have their own website????

Hazel said:

Yeah its great, that's my Dan in my avatar under water!
He started baby swimming lessons at about 13 months, I think the cut off is 14 months :think:
Its scary at first but they seem to love it! :cheer:

i started Dylan swimming at 2 months..he goes to waterbabies. It isn't cheap but it is so worth it..He can swim about a nmeter independantly, grab the side and climb out if it isn't to high edge
he is so confident in the water
His latest game in the bath is stand up ..back up to the back of the bath then use it as a slide till he is flat on his back rolls over and gets up then laughs and does it again...

From what i have seen the younger the babies start the more confident they are.

I'm taking Evie tomorrow with my brother! I'm not getting in, my brother is. (Because of my psoriasis - People would be fleeing the pool if I stepped in :rotfl: )

It's not a class we're going to, just normal swimming. Can I take pictures or do you think that'll be a no-no? :think: xx

As soon as i get some arm bands for her and a swimming costume for myself im going to start taking Lovella :)

thye cetainly don't let you at our local pool...that is why i also love the private leasoons

enjoy though

dannii87 said:
I Can I take pictures or do you think that'll be a no-no? :think: xx
Generally you are not allowed to take pictures at a public pool. It's just better to have a blanket rule for everyone than to say who can and who can't. :| But if you explain to the receptionist on your way in then the manager will prob be able to give you permission so long as the photos are taken under supervision. Sounds harsh but guess it's for our kid's safety. Having worked at several public pools, I'm glad the rule is there.

As a swimming teacher myself, I have no doubt in my mind that the earlier you can get a child swimming regularly the better for them. I have seen kids aged 6 or 7 who are petrified because they haven't swum enough before they started lessons. This really holds them back. Far better to get them used to it before they are old enough to risk assess! :lol:

I have also seen 3 year olds who cry through their first few independant lessons but so long as the parent doesn't give in to the tears then they are normally fine once they realise the tears aren't working. At that age, it's normally just them getting used to a new situation rather than being scared of the water.

My girls have all swum within their first couple of weeks of life (I did check with the midwife and they agreed it was fine) and are very at home in the water. I passionately believe that swimming is an amazing gift to give your child - to me things like ballet and football are luxuries, but swimming is a basic necessity. It could save their life one day, it's brill exercise and they will still be doing it when they are 90. :)

dannii87 said:
It's not a class we're going to, just normal swimming. Can I take pictures or do you think that'll be a no-no? :think: xx

I asked the lifeguard on duty the first time we took her and she said no. When I explained it was the first time and said I just wanted to take one pic with DH holding her in the corner of the pool with no one else in it then I would put camera back in hanging room she was fine but said to do it quick :D

Most pools don't let you take pictures - you never know who people are I suppose. Some pools I know of don't even allow spectators during the kids swimming lessons. Its a horrible society we live in when you can't even watch your kid learn to swim. :(

All of the pools I have worked in as a lifegaurd and a swimming teacher don't let you take pictures and tbh I wouldn't want people taking pictures of the kids while I am teaching (even though people have tried) never mind me in a swimsuit! :lol:

Personally if you are going to take your LO swimming I would consider leaving the arm bands at home and just hold your LO until they are more confident. One of my biggest missions is getting arm bands off kids who have become too depandant on them, even older ones! I find that if that option isn't there in the first place they then don't become depandant on them. Its different if you have more than one kid and are taking them on your own as its their safety that comes first but from a learning point of view they aren't a help, more of a hindrance IMO. I don't teach my classes with armbands and the company I teach for has a policy of No armbands in the lessons.

Also take a bath toy with you for the first time as it is something they recognise and will help to calm them down. The first time I took Finlay he was anxious but I took his bath frog and he was fine. Spent the whole time chewing it :lol:

Just wanted to add that the underwater swimming should only be carried out by a trained professional so PLEASE don't try it on your own.

Have fun!

Bee said:
Personally if you are going to take your LO swimming I would consider leaving the arm bands at home and just hold your LO until they are more confident. One of my biggest missions is getting arm bands off kids who have become too depandant on them, even older ones! I find that if that option isn't there in the first place they then don't become depandant on them. Its different if you have more than one kid and are taking them on your own as its their safety that comes first but from a learning point of view they aren't a help, more of a hindrance IMO. I don't teach my classes with armbands and the company I teach for has a policy of No armbands in the lesson.
I agree with this. Avoid armbands if you can safely. Also, I avoid teaching with tummy bands as it can make children lazy with their leg kick. But if it is a question of them wanting to go off independantly then do whatever keeps them safe. Most of all though, keep family swimming fun, not a lesson. I get parents asking what they can do with their children in between lessons and I think the most important thing is for them to get water confident, especially with submerging, and to enjoy their swimming.

MummyJess said:
Bee said:
Personally if you are going to take your LO swimming I would consider leaving the arm bands at home and just hold your LO until they are more confident. One of my biggest missions is getting arm bands off kids who have become too depandant on them, even older ones! I find that if that option isn't there in the first place they then don't become depandant on them. Its different if you have more than one kid and are taking them on your own as its their safety that comes first but from a learning point of view they aren't a help, more of a hindrance IMO. I don't teach my classes with armbands and the company I teach for has a policy of No armbands in the lesson.
I agree with this. Avoid armbands if you can safely. Also, I avoid teaching with tummy bands as it can make children lazy with their leg kick. But if it is a question of them wanting to go off independantly then do whatever keeps them safe. Most of all though, keep family swimming fun, not a lesson. I get parents asking what they can do with their children in between lessons and I think the most important thing is for them to get water confident, especially with submerging, and to enjoy their swimming.

And I agree with this ;)

Have fun with your LO - don't concentrate on teaching them. Let us professionals do that bit - we like it ;) :lol:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fatema53
Back