Swimming lessons

Rosieroo

Reaction score
I've put Ella on the waiting list for swimming lessons at our local indoor pool - we wont get a call til the end of the summer as they are so booked up. In the meantime after her first jabs we'll take her ourselves.

I've been wondering how I deal with her afterwards? Do we just shower together (i.e. rinse off) then I get her dressed and ready, then myself? Where do I put her if there isn't a baby unit?

i was thinking this myself, probably a nightmare lol. because like my hv said 2 me your dripping and freezing while you get baby dry and dressed first.
If there is a baby unit it may be easier to wrap baby up warm in a towl while you quickly dry yourself and throw some clothes on, then dress baby, otherwise you will be dripping on her! i dont know though i suppose this is easier said than done if baby is screaming. I guess it is a case of trial and error!

When I took Mason as a baby I always tried to get in the "family" changing room. There should always be a baby unit so don't worry about that, just make sure you find it before you go in the water so you know where everything is.
While your swimming leave a big towel by the side of the pool so you can grab it quickly.
Grab a quick shower, with baby soap to get the chlorine off, then wrap them in another big towel. It is a pain as you will be freezing while you look after them and make sure they don't get cold. I would take plenty of towels, at least one for them side of the pool and one for after a shower, as well as your own.
A real plus is if you get the family room and turn the hand-drier on, I used to dry Mason under it :lol:
I work at a fancy gym so our family room has 2 hair dryers and I put them both on Max heat as soon as I get in the room hehehe.

Good luck you'll have loads of fun!

I just get Jessica ready first when I come out. There isnt a family room at our bit and its really just a case of lying her on a bench ona towel and making do. Then I put her in her pram and sort myself. I never bother with a shower, I do that later at home.

Im sure baby will love the pool

Laura.

I wondered about that, and the chlorine? I wouldn't have worried much about it but OH has a thing about chemicals. Plus how young is too young? I wouldn't like her to forget the water in the uterus, some babies are born knowing how to swim. BUT I'm afraid of my life that she'd get a fright and hate water until it's too late. I had a bad fright swimming as a baby and it took a long time to get over the trauma and learn how to swim.

Sue

i want to take ewan swimming too - but am a bit worried about dealing with him on my own - as i'm not water confident and would hate him to pick up on my vibes...

I was also worried about Seren being scared of the water, so have been taking her into the bath with me. I know it probably sounds stupid, and that a pool is oads bigger than my bath sadly, but I thought she would like the fact its deeper and I can get used to handling a wet baby. It is working, she always cried in her baby bath but loves bath times with mommy x

Hi,

I have been taking Dom since he was 3 months old at our local pool in the special babies pool.

The first time he cried but since then he loved it. I put him in a special baby inflatable seat.

It is a mare getting ready sometimes as you don't have enough hands but heres what I do.

Find a family change room
Lay Dom on the change unit or bench if no unit - on a towel or mat etc and give him a little toy
Take my kit off but already have swim suit on
Strip Dom off
Put gear on locker while holding Dom (this is the hardest bit and sometimes I have to leave some stuff and go back for it as I can't do it at once)
Go in the pool

And after

Change Dom first while I drip dry pretty much
When he is done I then do myself

It is a bit of a hassle and is easier if you have a mate with you so you can take turns to look after each others babies.

I don't really worry about the chlorine side as so many babies go and I have not heard any major health warnings, otherwise no one would go.

Enjoy they love it as time goes on.

my hv said you can take them swimming after their second set of injections. I take Ella in the bath with me wash her then pass her to oh, and she loves it, she only cries when she gets out!

I take Ella in the bath with me wash her then pass her to oh, and she loves it, she only cries when she gets out!

:lol: Sounds just like my Ella!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back