been to childrens' E.R. today! updated

trixipaws

Reaction score
today went for an early morning walk with melissa in pushchair. she fell asleep on way back and i watched trisha or something while she napped in the pushchair. when she woke and whimpered, i got her out and her head on my cheek and lips felt like the back of hair straighteners! :shock: i stripped her off, took her outside and made her sit on my lap in the cold rain in just her nappy- just like my mum used to with me when i had a temp which i used to hate! she started shivering and crying tho and i felt bad so i brought her in, i took her temp and it was 39.1! this was about 11.30, i gave her 5ml calpol and some juice, and lay her on the playmat. she wasnt her usual full-of-beans-climbing-and-crawling-everywhere-and-into-everything self, altho she was showing an interest in her toys; but it was like she'd regressed several months she just lay on her back playing, rolled a bit but mostly stayed where i put her. i kept her naked cept for nappy, then gave her lunch, which she ate. felt tired myself and she looked sleepy so we went for nap i thought i'd wake up and she'd be cool from the calpol.
but i woke up bout 90 mins later and went into nursery, she was quiet til i walked in but went in and she was stood up and started whimpering. i scooped her up and she was raging! she felt like the ceramic bit on straoghteners :( there was a rash all over her legs too it looked like nettle rash. it disappeared under glass but still looked nasty and her temp had gone up to 39.2

foned my GP surgery they said to go to walk-in centre bout 20mins walk away, so i grabbed the small baby bag, a couple toys and 2 beakers of juice and set off with pushchair. i had the rain guard down, but she was dressed in short-sleeve babygro only so i thought i'd get there and be sent home looking silly, which of course i didnt mind better safe than sorry. it was 3.30pm then i txt my boyf and he called and said he would leave work early and meet us at the infirmary so we didnt hav 2 walk home in rain. got there and altho waiting room was full melissa got priority i'd only sat down when here name was called. she was checked again and her temp was creepin up still, 39.3 :( so they referred her to the peadiatric unit at the hosp where she would hav been born if we hadnt had our homebirth- bout 30/40mins drive away. they gave her calpol AND nurofen! didnt think could bombard babies with drugs cocktails! ah well they kno best.

well my boyf had arrived so we bundled into car and went to hosp. they checked her it was bout 5pm and her temp had gone down a little, not sure exactly we were told 38-something. had to wait in this little room for a senior doc to come look coz they werent sure why her temp was high and what the rash was, considering she's been eating drinking and playing a bit (and we had a few weak smiles!) but they ruled out the dreaded M-word thank goodness!

they wanted a wee sample so they made her sit in this horrible tiny stiff cardboard cup! and guess what the one time we DO want her to wee without a nappy on and not a single drop :lol:

they wouldnt let her home until her temp was down, i thought at one point i would have to leave my baby without any loved ones overnight for the first time ever i felt sick! :(

the senior doc was busy apparently there was a very sick child on the ward so we waited in the lil room bout 2 hours. they brought her an egg sandwich and an orange jelly and some milk tho, and we tried to keep her entertained while on this cup thing and stop her from crawling off on a mission in case she did a wee.

they checked her chest, ears and throat and altho chest and ears fine, they said her glands in her neck were swollen and her tonsils looked a bit sore and pus-y i think she said! the senior doc was too busy but as melissa was seeming perkier and her temp down to 37.6 they let us go home but told us to monitor and come back if she still seems poorly.

she's asleep in her cot now, i stopped popping in nursery to check on her before i went to bed months ago but tonite i will, just make sure shes ok b4 i turn in.

i do hope she is better 2mro, iv been really worried today :pray:

awww, poor melissa, the wee doll. I hope she feels better soon.
You must have had a fright :hug:

aww no it's so hard when they are ill. I hope she is better tomorrow and hopefully it's just a 24 hr thing. :hug: :hug:

my heart sank when i read the title,am so pleased she is ok.Massive hugs to Melissa and a massive hug to you, you must have been so scared

Aw poor baby - I hope she's okay trixi, keep us posted.

Are you off work tomorrow?

Valentine Xxx

thanku for your well wishes everyone! v, yes i am off work, i dont work fridays. ill take her to our GPs tell them we'v been hosp today, get them to check her over. im scared to go into nursery tonite in case she's mad hot. but im also tempted to go in right now and check on her i put her blanket over her do u think i should leave it off? she's still in the same babygro so she got bare arms and legs?

Awww get well soon Millie, I hope it's not tonsilitis, that's horrible!! :hug:

aawww poor Millie and poor you. Bet you were worried sick :hug: Hope she feels better soon hun :)

Poor Millie :hug: I can just imagine how scared you must have been.

I hope shes better soon hun.

Sending very BIG hugs to Millie and you, really hope she's all better for you tomz, very best wishes :hug: :hug: :hug:

Awwwww, I'm glad she is home and the temp dropped.

It is so worrying when they are ill!!

Btw, for future, babies CAN have both Calpol (which is paracetamol based) and Nurofen (which is Iboprphen based) together no probs.... they work excellent together for temps!

:hug: :hug:

I remember you posting ages ago about being worried and often checking if she was too hot or too cold etc but it is at times like this that you are really glad that you check and pay attention to things. I am so glad you got help quickly though and didn't have to wait around long at the hospital etc cos that is always worrying.
Hope she is better soon.

poor baby, hope shes better today hun, hugs for you and millie pops :hug:

last nite she slept with us- we havent co-slept since i was BFing! she's been far too wriggly since then anyway. but she was good as gold (perhaps coz she was ill tho) she was quiet and still. we put her on top of the duvet in between us and she just had her blanky which is a cellular blanket with a silky bit on 2 opposite sides. she'd awoken and was crawling over my head at idk what time, maybe 5.30 or something im guessing, but she felt hot again when i kissed her head so i gave her some calpol which was on the bedside table before giving her her bottle of milk which i always leave on the table too. when we all got up at 7ish she no longer felt hot. took her temp this morning it is 36.7 :cheer:
also she's eaten her breakfast and she's her usual pesky self! she still has the rash tho. got a doc app later at 4.30 will let y'all kno what they say thanks for all the messages x x x

awww I hope you get on ok at the doctors.

I have had Arianna to the docs quite alot with rashes and apprently it can sometimes just be a reaction to the child fighting off a virus/cold etc.... my doc said it is common in kiddies under 5yrs

:hug: :hug:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back