Bedtime

nikki8092

Reaction score
Wondering if anyone had any advice. My daughter paige is 3 and a half and now refuses to go to bed, can get her into bed no problem but as soon as i go downstairs she starts screaming at top of her voice and banging on the door. Luckily her little brother sleeps through it all but she can do this for hours, even after we have been up and put her back into bed several times. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks x

Hi hun, do you have a bedtime routine? Like supper, glass of milk, maybe a bedtime programme, brush teeth, bed and a story? Most girls on here swear by routine, and now I have my little one in routine as long as I do the same thing he goes down awake without a bother x

Bribery? You just stay in the bedroom with her? LOL I'm pretty sure I've done both before ... Do you think it's just a phase? I find my daughter can almost be asking to go to bed at 7pm to swinging the other way and is still downstairs at midnight on the odd occasion.
Some things I do to get her to sleep, reading her stories in a monotonous tone and doing plenty of loud yawning hoping its infectious and will send her off! ... putting a dvd on for her but a really boring one, she fell asleep to Iceage the other night ... giving her a box of toys in bed and saying 'head on pillow and you can play with these'' then I go in when its quiet and just empty the bed!
Good Luck xxx

I wouldst just keep putting her back, no talking, no cuddles. But that's me. X routine is brilliant, bedtime story, but i would never put a dvd on, she's 3, not 13 x

Last edited:
I think at 3 personally she should know it's bedtime and not fight it. I suggest the same as isobel, keep putting her back to bed no talking etc. I still have a mini bedtime routine with my 5 year old that she's had since she was young. Into pj's, glass of milk in bed, bedtime story then kiss goodnight and leave room. Good luck

I wouldst just keep putting her back, no talking, no cuddles. But that's me. X routine is brilliant, bedtime story, but i would never put a dvd on, she's 3, not 13 x

My hv said a dvd is a reasonable sleepaid if needed, and it can work.

It's just my opinion, I think its better to learn to fall asleep on your own. I'm not pointing finger but in my eyes, a dvd to fall asleep to is lazy parenting, take controll as a parent now as the older they get, the harder it will be. I know i sound harsh sometimes but I'm really a big beloved in a no nonsense upbringing. A bedtime story is all that's needed, kiss n good night.

It's just my opinion, I think its better to learn to fall asleep on your own. I'm not pointing finger but in my eyes, a dvd to fall asleep to is lazy parenting, take controll as a parent now as the older they get, the harder it will be. I know i sound harsh sometimes but I'm really a big beloved in a no nonsense upbringing. A bedtime story is all that's needed, kiss n good night.

Wow i'm a lazy parent :eh: thanks alot

Hi Ladies, yes she has been a routine from day dot. Slept through from 6 months and only started doing this recently. I have tried bribery, staying in the room with her till she falls asleep and also just putting her back to bed over and over again but she seems to be a bit stubborn and wont let up. Im hoping this is just a phase especially as im now pregnant with baby number 3. Oh the joys :)

I had three within the three years , and I'm afraid the years passed , and they won I was worse and worse at bedtimes, I have tried everything, and struggled! Even had them say my kids are tired on the school reports! I asked for HV advice and had tried all the suggestions, I would say keep going, it's the hardest child raising task I have had. Being consistent and starting the routene early to allow for problems. Eg early tea, bath, supper, milk, story/reading time and lights out. Mine do the I need a drink thing, so now I ask them to have water early on and tell them they are not coming back for more at all. Be firm they will push it further.

My boys sharing was an issue for me and still is! they are 12,10 and 9 and still run rings round me esp since devon was born, when I'm busy and distracted , they run amok!

The one thing I found was brilliant is book lights, I know she is only three , but for future and other mums , M&S book lights clip to back cover of book and encourage reading, they stay in bed!! they feel special as they are allowed to read past lights out time and then you can come up later and close the light / check its gone off.

One of my boys hates reading, but does it as this way he gets to stay up a bit more with light and is asleep in no time!

Last edited:
when i was training to be a nurse i did a placement with childrens community team and we did a lot around bedtime. routine is essential physical things that can help are having a warm bath then getting into a cool bed as it helps release hormones that make u sleepy and no tv or lights on as this supress the release of melotnin which helps us fall to sleep

hope this helps x

Not sure what to advise then hun, could be a phase, does she know you're pregnant? Could she be playing up because of this? x x

Hello again ladies, thanks for all your great advice. Unfortunately RBryan Paige cant go to bed without the light on she says she is scared of the dark(although im sure this is another stalling technique!) She doesnt know im pregnant as we are waiting for first scan so she can see the baby and then understand a little better. Im actually now thinking its a case of she is just not tired enough when she goes to bed. She ended up coming downstairs last night after putting her to bed and didnt return till 9:30 but i left the room telling her goodnight and she went straight to sleep. Kids eh!! lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back