Becoming homeless

No, my family is in Lithuania, my mom and grandma. Got no one else.

Ahh God. The landlord musnt have any feelings making you leave when your pregnant that's just awful!! Xx

I know, and first he said it was okay, and then he changed his mind. For the most ironic part, he is some sort of priest or minister in local church, and his family lives in this house. I don't know how he doesn't understand when he has family of his own.

I am SO much more angry with the father of your baby than with the landlord. Sorry. What an absolute *******. I hope you'll be going to the CSA for maintenance when the baby arrives - if he doesn't want his wife to find out he can shut up and pay up can't he?!

Keep going back to your council hun - take your letter and like someone upthread mentioned, if you need to stay put and wait for court action to begin to qualify as "unintentionally homeless" then do that. Explain to your landlord that you need him to do that in order to qualify for help.

I really hope you can find someone who'll listen to you when you go back with your friend.

Take care xxx

Exhox I thought the same about having room but I live up north. im sure you will sort something just don't give in fighting

Yeah I live up north too so no good Shame really

I am SO much more angry with the father of your baby than with the landlord. Sorry. What an absolute *******. I hope you'll be going to the CSA for maintenance when the baby arrives - if he doesn't want his wife to find out he can shut up and pay up can't he?!

Keep going back to your council hun - take your letter and like someone upthread mentioned, if you need to stay put and wait for court action to begin to qualify as "unintentionally homeless" then do that. Explain to your landlord that you need him to do that in order to qualify for help.

I really hope you can find someone who'll listen to you when you go back with your friend.

Take care xxx

I know, I will go to CSA when I have my baby, before that I want to keep myself safe just in case. I still can't believe what he made me go through, especially with forcing to have an abortion, as I always said I am against them. I even said I will leave him alone and never ask for anything if he just leaves me in peace to have the baby, but he kept forcing me.

I will go on Tuesday to the council, when my friend can come with me. I will keep trying as much as I can. I am hoping and praying I could get somewhere to live before baby arrives not too far from my hospital. I want to have my baby there. And I want to settle, have everything ready.

Thanks again all ladies, I so much appreciate x x

Was just browsing through the forum and saw this, hope you don't mind me commenting. I would just advise you to also contact your local councillor immediately.

You can get their contact details here. https://www.writetothem.com/

Went to the council today, was a woman who saw me, she said landlord can't kick me out without court order. The thing is, two days ago landlord came in and handed me two months notice that now I have to leave in September. They said "Oh there is a man who doesn't pay rent for 7 months so we kicking everyone out". It's obviously a lie as I asked everyone else living in the house.
Council said they will contact me within 10 days and say what options I have. She said probably I will have to ask for a loan to pay private tenancy. God help me, I am not earning enough to pay private renting. She doesn't know if I will get any help or anything to pay the rent, probably I have to pay it myself. My band C won't move higher, unfortunately. I'm still stressed out about it, now I have to wait for what they gonna say.

You need to tell your landlord that you will be staying put until they get a court order as that's the only way you'll get support from the council. Just be completely open and honest. Pretend you completely understand their predicament (even though you don't) but just warn them that you WON'T be leaving in September UNTIL they have a court order because that's the only way you'll get help. Please don't think you're being awkward here - it's what many people have to do in order to be classed as "unintentionally homeless" - seriously. Stay put. Do not leave. The council woman is giving you awful advice. Probably to avoid you being their problem. Don't take out a loan to pay for private rent - if you're made unintentionally homeless the council will have to help. Please, PLEASE don't leave your home until there's a legal document to enforce it!!

Last edited:
No I won't leave, speaking to landlords is quite an issue since they don't speak much of English, but I will wait and see what council says back in those 10 days about my options. If I don't like them I will tell my landlord to get the court order otherwise I stay. It just all seems so complicated when I have seen lots of women getting help, moving into houses and paying little rent with council help, and all I get advised is to borrow money and pay myself.

Did you go back to the CAB? I'm wondering if they could help to explain why you're being given the advice you've had from the council while others seem to be offered help? There is a charity called Gingerbread, which offers support to single parents: http://www.gingerbread.org.uk/ - maybe you could try them while you're waiting to hear back from the council? xx

Last edited:
Nuala that's the advice I got. They only bumped me up a band on council once I had a private rent. I was then in a 6 month tennancy so no good to me lol

I haven't been to CAB yet, wanted to see what council offers next. Thanks for the link, I will have a look x

Wifeywifey how much did you pay for private rent? Cause private rent here is very expensive, around 1500 a month when I only earn 800 monthly.

I live up north so nothing like that but surely housing benefit takes that into consideration? Our council referred us to a credit union who loaned us £1000 which we pay back at £4 pw.

And when you got the property was it affordable to pay monthly with your family income? Cause here I can only afford a room in shared household, everything else is too expensive. I am worried they will offer me a room in a shared house again, as now I live with other 10 people and it would be so hard with a baby.

Update, landlord said he had council coming in and that council said he has to change doors, otherwise it's not safe in case of fire. I said about going to court, he won't, he said I can stay if I want but I have to sign consent in case of fire not to blame landlords. So I either move out and become homeless because it is not safe for me, or stay here and risk. I don't know what to do with this. I will try go to council again.

Surely that's not legal?! Either it's fit for purpose (i.e. Rental/tenancy agreement) or it's not?! He can't force you into a home that (for example) could collapse/kill you in a fire just because he makes you sign a bit of paper. Again, I would go back to the council/CAB/charity and find someone who can help to answer your questions - you shouldn't have to take risks like that just because you're too desperate to speak up. Keep looking and keep researching hun because someone somewhere will have some answers for you xxx

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back