Bathtime for me question!

Levi89

Reaction score
Ladies - I had a 2nd degree tear, i gave birth on Friday, when is it safe to have a bath without stinging? I've got sensitive skin bath bubbles with some sort of milk in it for soothing and tea tree oil!

I also cannot find my notes from the midwife that she had written the name of something that helps the bruising... Is it arnica? I cant mind if she said the cream or the oil for the bath? Has anyone got this? I got the cream from Asda but I'm not sure if its safe to put 'down there' incase it gets infected?

Any help would be appreciated :) xxx

I had an episiotomy and was told not to have a bath until stitches healed. But then I've been told by other people I could of had a salt bath to help stitches heal and stay clean? All very confusing advice. I just stuck to showers until they healed.

And yes it is arnica but I don't know how to use it. One tip I got given was soak a maternity pad with water and put it in a bag in the freezer. Take it our and wrap it in an old hand towel or something and put it down below. Helps the bruising.x

Last edited:
I had 2 second degree tears and lots of grazings and the midwife ran me a bath while I was still in the hospital, as soon as my stiches had been finished. It didn't sting at all but I always made sure I used none perfumed bath stuff. I was advised to have baths often to keep everything clean and so things didn't become infected, certainly worked as I never had an infection :)

The midwife reccomended badedas bath bubbles, it's quite pricey though.

http://www.boots.com/en/Badedas-Essence-Bath-Gelee_1108/

i got given witch hazel by a mw to put on my pad for my episiotomy too and could have a bath as soon as i wanted, just make sure to dry properly and dont poke around down there too much lol

Thanks ladies! I've been having showers but I'm such a bath person! :) xxx

I was cut and had bad 2nd and 3rd degree tears and i had baths every day from the day i got hom, the first few i used sea salts and the rest savlon liquid the only place my bits were any way barable was in the bath

I was told to have baths straight away and to bath in salt water, I must say it worked pretty well cos my stitches healed pretty quickly xx

Salt baths are good. Also you can get arnica in tablet form. Xxx

I had a bath while in hospital after mine, I used tea tree oil and it helped loads its antiseptic too so stops infections xx

I was told to get 2-3 baths a day to keep the area soft for my episiotomy to heal.

I would recommend badedas and tea tree and lavender oil drops in the bath.

Keep doing your pelvic floor exercises too hun this promotes blood flow to the area and aids healing.

Mix lavender oil with milk to help it disperse better in the water
You can add lavender oil to a pad too

You would imagine a salt bath to sting but oh my god it's heaven on our sore bits!!!! Xx

Amazing all the different things we're told isn't it. I had an episiotamy and was told to have a bath straight away but not use any products at all for the 1st 5 days so I sat in a bath of just warm water for a soak then knelt up and washed the rest of my body with shower gel for 5 days. After that I carried on as normal. I didn't really have any pain at all right from the beginning anyway, it was more like a dull ache than pain x

Woo loads of things to try!

I had a bath last night, but went a tad OTT on the tea tree oil haha! When I cleaned down south I used a soft baby sponge (obv not Casey's one haha!) and femfresh. Thats ok eh?! Then i used the arnica cream when i was out and dry.... But today it feels like its tightened up quite crazily and now it stings a little and I'm more uncomfy! I told the HV and she said I'm maybe best not to use the cream as its practically broken skin which I'm lathering it onto haha - I never even thought of it that way :| typical! So going to get the tablets today! :)

When is it good to stop using mat pads as well? I got normal always as the blood isn't heavy - but I put one on and I thought for some reason that my stitches are going to get caught in the :( lol!

Thanks again ladies! I love this place haha! Xxx

I never used always cos I wasn't sure if they were designed for postpartum lochia. You can get slimline mat pads which are very similar.

I use a drop of tea tree on the pad too. Sure this has helped a bit.

I wouldn't use any creams down there cos that involves touching it and then it can get infected etc.

I also use a hairdryer on cool after the bath tk ensure its all dry

i bled for 4 weeks cos bf'ing contracts the womb so stopped using pads then :)

I used Always nightime pads after about 10 days because they're alot longer than normal Always pads. My stitches didn't snag and I didn't have any trouble with leaks or anything x

I had a bath everyday after having o! I had epiostomy and 3rd degree tear! I had tea tree oil and arnica in it :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
itsa1231
Back