Back to back maternity leave in the NHS

redringdragon

Reaction score
Hi all

Found out today that I'm pregnant with my second ! :dance:

My first is has only just turned 7 months old.

I went on a full year of maternity leave from my full time position with the NHS in May 2015 and was due to return in May 2016.

I had accumulated 10 days in lieu before going on mat leave and subsequently 32 days of annual leave whilst on maternity leave bringing the total to 42 days. The managers agreed to add this to the end of my maternity leave pushing my return to work date out to mid July 2016.

I'm aware that one needs to be back at work for a full 3 months before becoming eligible for maternity leave again.

I'm hoping I could use the 42 pre approved leave days towards the required 3 months of full time service and thus actually only have to work 5 more weeks. Would this be allowed?

My intention would be to go off work as soon as permissible i.e. 11 weeks before the due date.

Many thanks for your feedback. :wave:

Your annual leave counts as you being back at work as your mat leave has officially ended xx
Ps. I'm a manager for NHS xx

Hello

I am roughly in the same position as you. My daughter is 8 months and I am due to return on the 25th! As it turns out I'm pregnant again but pregnant or not there is no way I could return to my current role! I have a left rotation in my pelvis which won't allow me to be on me feet for an hour never mind 13hrs. I will probably need surgery to correct the problem. I will keep an eye on this thread to see how you get on!

thanks for that!
A followup...
my employment contract runs from Nov - Nov
Therefore of those 10 days in lieu + 32 days of annual leave, perhaps 15 days (approx. 3 weeks) would have accrued from Nov 2015 onwards.
Can I therefore request that I go back to work in late June instead of mid July and use the 3 weeks of leave accrued in the current employment year before the new mat leave starts?
Cheers

You can return at any time as long as you give 28 days notice x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lauramayne90
Back