back carry with a wrap sling

kazzie-bo

Reaction score
can someone .....kalia?....please tell me how to do a back carry with a stretchy wrap sling please? i know it is hard to explain things in words but ill try and work it out lol

tia
kaz x

I'm not sure if they're all the same, but with mine it's exactly the same way as doing it on your front, but you're doing it from your back instead, iykwim? So when i start mine instead of wrapping it from my belly, i'll do it from my back instead.

I tend not to recommend back carries in a stretchy wrap with a larger baby as I found that over time the material gives due to the weight and it might not be as secure - I had to stop using my stretchy wrap quite a while ago as Cally was a lump and also wriggled loads and I found that over a period of half an hour the wrap just wasn't as tight as I wanted it. That is just my experience and opinion though. Therefore I have no experience of a back carry with a stretchy wrap, only with a woven wrap. My main recommendation would be to buy a woven wrap - you will find it more supportive and will last you for a lot longer so is a fantastic investment. If you do want to use the stretchy wrap for a back carry though I would perhaps go for a back cross carry as opposed to a ruck as I think it would give more support, see here for example. Perhaps one with a chest belt would be best as I feel that way you would be able to get the tension better - example here

LisaJ1986 said:
I'm not sure if they're all the same, but with mine it's exactly the same way as doing it on your front, but you're doing it from your back instead, iykwim? So when i start mine instead of wrapping it from my belly, i'll do it from my back instead.

thanks but how do you get the baby in??

thanks also beanie, adam is still quite small at only just 15pounds so should be ok for a bit, but i am intending on buying a woven wrap or a mei tei soon as he is getting bigger. if i was to buy only one which type would you recommend?

i'll give those holds a try tomorrow thanks

kaz x

Great advice from Beanie :D The other risk with a stretchy in a back carry is that if your LO decides to push away from you they may be able to push themselves out of part of the wrap.
At 15lbs you can keep using a stretchy but you will find a woven to be far more supportive. By 10lbs there is a noticible difference in the support and comfort. You have the time to debate and decide what suits you best, you don't need a woven that will arrive tomorrow but you would benefit from it as soon as you got it :D

You don't get baby in to a back wrap, you put baby up and then wrap round them. Maybe start just by practising getting him on your back and off again without trying to wrap. The way I am most comfortable with is puting DD on my hip, reaching round my back with the opposite hand to support her so that I can get the arm beside her in front of her then shuffling her into a piggyback. She loves this!!! You can also cross your arms, pick him up by having a good hold on the top of each of his arms and lifting him over your shoulder - as you uncross your arms he will end up facing the same way as you and you can lower him to the height you want. I seem to be hit or miss with this - I either get it right or I tangle us up :rotfl: While baby is on your back you keep at least one hand on him at all times. Lean forward until the wrap is round him securely.

Have a look on videos on you tube - lots of people have filmed how to do carries and I have found that really useful. Good back carries to start with are ruck and secure high back carry (SHBC) as with this one LO is secure quickly and then you don't have to worry as much about holding him while you complete the wrap.

So, one wrap and only one. I ask myself this from time to time and usually the answer is Storchenwiege Leo. Not my prettiest (I have it in natural - it's not ugly, but I have some gorgeous colours) but sooo forgiving if your wrapping isn't perfectly done. I would recommend getting a size 6, which is 4.6 metres. In this length I currently have a Didymos natural Hemp which it has been suggested to me is even better but I haven't given that a proper trial to say. I also have Didymos Pfau, which would be up there with Leo and will be thinner in the summer. I have Blue Bears (dyed eggplant) and black Fische, both by Didymos (I like animal wraps) and they are very sturdy but have less bounce than leo or indios. That doesn't make them less supportive though. I have Earthy Rainbow by Girasol and although not my most supportive it is supportive and I think it is sooo pretty. Don't underestimate the importance of choosing a wrap that you like the look of, after all you will be wearing it a lot :D I have a Calin Bleu that we used all last summer but I doubt we will use it this summer. It was brilliant when she was little but by 16lbs it was less comfortable. I have had and sold on didymos cashmere Silk Ellipsen (soo expense, handwash only, basically I was scared to touch it in case I damaged it), Didymos sik indio (it caught on my watch and it took me ages to fix the pull ), another Calin Bleu and another Girasol which I didn't need as I preferred the colours I kept. I don't have a hoppediz wrap but I do have one made in to a wrap conversion and it is fantastic so I imagine it would be as a wrap too.

I hope this helps!

wow Kalia- you certainly know a thing or two about wrap slings! It's like reading a foreign language- I'll be honest!

I'm going to have a look at some of the ones you've suggested- feel the need for a woven wrap- tried using the ruck-sack type carrier that my SIL gave us (hand me down) the other day and hated it! Totally inaccessible once Kathryn was in it and I didn't feel that she had any of the usual benefits of me carrying her - it was like I'd strapped a pushchair to my back! I didn't think I'd like it but I will give anything a go just to be sure. I should have trusted my instincts!

flowergirl said:
wow Kalia- you certainly know a thing or two about wrap slings! It's like reading a foreign language- I'll be honest!

sorry :oops:

flowergirl said:
it was like I'd strapped a pushchair to my back!
:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: Was it one with a metal frame?
OH and I were in Mothercare and basically slagged off all their carriers - one of them was a metal frame and the child was sat right away from the parent - it would be sooo uncomfortable!!!!

A mei tai would also be good for back carries. You tie the waist on then put baby on your back and then bring up the mei tai and tie the straps.

i tried this tonight, and did the washing up with adam on my back, we both loved it thanks!!

just a quick q is he supposed to have his arms inside the wrap or can he have them over the top, he moved them up over the top and he didn't feel so secure so was a bit worried though my older son said he still looked secure!

think i may invest in a mei tei and a woven wrap!! :lol: :lol:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DreamRapeVic
Back