babys eye

trixipaws

Reaction score
my baby is a week old today and this morning one of her eyes was stuck shut with crusty yellow stuff. we bathed it off but her eye keeps making yellow goo- although she can open it when theres no goo.
has anyone else had a similar problem and how can i treat it?
it think its conjunctivitis can i treat that with breast milk?
hope someone can help.

The MW told me to try breast milk 1st to see if that works. If not your MW should take a swab to see if its infected and you will get eye drops. You can but it from the chemist but I think with Babies so young they like a GP to take a look.Thats what they did with me anyway. I think you can also use salt water cos thats what they give you in hospital but I'm not to sure.

Dylan had it when he was very young too..I was advised to use breast milk which really worked..if not us boiled and cooled water..I was told if it started going ggreen or wasn't clearing then see GP

Austin still gets crusty eyes. We first went to the doc when he was 10 days old and he prescribed eye drops, we finished them but they're still crusty, especially just aftre he wakes up. The doctor said it's immature tear ducts, apparently they can take up to 7 months to develop properly.

Try wiping the eyes from inside out with either breastmilk or cooled, boiled water whenever they look crusty. If in any doubt pop along to your GP, they should be able to reassure you and treat them.

If you wipe both eyes make sure you use a different piece of cotton wool for each eye to prevent cross-contamination.

i do believe breastmilk works wonders with this sort of thing.

Ryan had this last week too, the midwife was going to swab it but it cleared up before she had the chance :)

Our babe had this quite badly twice. GP told us its very common in newborns, had two different lots of drops. Cleared in the end. Bathed eyes each morning with cooled boiled water, one piece of cotton wool per swipe!

Euan had it too when he was first born. I took him to the docs and he gave me cream to put in his eyes which was impossible, After this didn't work the midwife did a swab which took ages to come back. Once it did I was given some drops but had already cleared it up by bathing with cooled bolied water.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ARCHIATER
Back