Blocked tear duct? **Just to update**

Tangerinedream

Reaction score
Jake has had a sticky eye ever since he was born, with green goo collecting every few hours and green sleep stuck around his eye when he wakes up. It is only in 1 eye. The doc diagnosed conjunctivitus and had prescribed eye ointment, which he has been having since he was 10 days old. Ive also been cleaning the eye 2 or 3 times a day with cooled boiled water. It still hasnt gone yet and he is nearly 12 weeks old. Ive always mentioned it to the Hv who said I just need to persevere (sp) with what im doing.

We visited a friend last night who said it sounds/looks more like a blocked tear duct. Ive just looked it up and it could be possible. Im just wondering if anybody elses LO had this at birth and if it sounds the same. Apparently I had this problem at birth but my mum lives over 200 miles away so I cant ask her to look at it. I think Im going to get the doc to have another look at it.

I just want his poor eye to clear up :(

******UPDATE NOVEMBER 3RD******

His eye spontaniously cleared up over a week ago and has been lovely and clear since :cheer: :cheer: :cheer:

Dan had sticky eye from birth too and he had it for ages. I'm trying to remember how long but it was way past 12 weeks, maybe about 5 months :think:
It cleared up in one first and then the other quite quickly. My HV said pretty much the same thing, as long as it's not infected just keep doing what you are doing.
But if you're worried hun, take him to your GP. I would, it doesn't hurt to check :D

Thanks, thats reassuring. Its just been getting to me as hes had it for ages :x

My bro had a blocked tearduct when he was born (he's 24 now!!! :rotfl: ) and had to have an operation to sort it out. I suppose things have moved on a bit in 24 yrs...

Kylie1007 said:
My bro had a blocked tearduct when he was born (he's 24 now!!! :rotfl: ) and had to have an operation to sort it out. I suppose things have moved on a bit in 24 yrs...

I hope so.... :shock:

our little boy was the same as you. we tried different eye drops but in the end we found just keeping it clean worked best. once they get older and the tear duct develops a bit it should clear. mark sometimes gets bit of a sticky eye still when he has cold but it soon clears up. hope this helps

keep pushing the docs 2 find out what it is and sort it.

millie developed this at one week old and hers spread to both eyes, ointments and drops didnt work so i kept on at the docs til they took some swabs. it came back that it was chlamydia which i had and didnt kno, she'd got it from me :(

we were both on antibiotics for 2 weeks and her eyes are fine and sparkley now :)

not saying thats what jake's is but do keep on at them if its not clearing up. :hug:

christopher was the same hun from about a week old till he was about 3 months then it just went all of a sudden just keep up with the cotton wool and boiled water i know its unpleasant but they wont do anything unless the white of the eye goes red if this happens take him back to the doctors
xxxxxxxxx

thanks for your replies. his eyeball is perfectly healthy, its just the gunk. Ive been massaging his tear duct a couple of times a day as recommended on a web site and it is a lot better. still producing some gunk but not nearly as much. phew... :D

Haydens had a blocked tearduct since birth, ive took him to the doctors loads of times and all they kept saying to me was massage it and keep wiping with warm water, when i last took him a couple of weeks ago they then said it had gone infected and gave me eye drops for his eye, his eye is still very gunky all the time so im going to take him back monday!!!
its gone on way too long with him now, im going to tell them i want something sorted!!!!!
anyway hope his eye clears up soon hun

Willow's had the same thing,and my HV has also just been like "cooled boiled water!" but it's not been clearing up.However I am going to start using teabags instead of cotton wool,apparently they work much better

Lola has also had a sticky eye since she was born with green gunky stuff coming out of it.

She had a swab taken in the hospital when she was a day old and that came back clear. I've taken her to the doctors twice as it seems to be getting worse but he said it's just a blocked tear duct and could take 6 months to clear :(

Arianna had it too when she was born - we were just told to bathe it in clean warm water.

Austin had sticky eyes from birth, we tried 2 courses of antibiotic creams/drops and the right eye cleared up but the left didn't. When he hit 6 months I took him back to the doctor and was told:

A blocked tear duct causes conjunctivitus, which can't drain to can't get better, so if you clear the infection & hope it gives the tear duct time to sort itself out. Most blocked tear ducts have sorted themselves out by 8 months so if your baby is under this age don't worry too much. If the eye is still not clear by 8 months I have take him back to the doctor and he'll be referred to the eye clinic where they'll probably need to drain the tear duct under anesthetic.

I've got some more eye cream and still clean his eyes twice a day with cooled, boiled water, so I'm really hoping it clears up because I really don't want him to have to have an operation to fix it.

Hope this helps with Jake & you get some answers soon.

Thanks for all of your great advice ladies. It seems more common than I thought then. The gunk seems to clear up then comes back :x I really hope it clears up soon, and for your LO's too :)

Aaron had a blocked tear duct when he was born. I just kept massaging it with a clean finger and it went after a while.

natalie&jake said:
Jake has had a sticky eye ever since he was born, with green goo collecting every few hours and green sleep stuck around his eye when he wakes up. It is only in 1 eye. The doc diagnosed conjunctivitus and had prescribed eye ointment, which he has been having since he was 10 days old. Ive also been cleaning the eye 2 or 3 times a day with cooled boiled water. It still hasnt gone yet and he is nearly 12 weeks old. Ive always mentioned it to the Hv who said I just need to persevere (sp) with what im doing.

We visited a friend last night who said it sounds/looks more like a blocked tear duct. Ive just looked it up and it could be possible. Im just wondering if anybody elses LO had this at birth and if it sounds the same. Apparently I had this problem at birth but my mum lives over 200 miles away so I cant ask her to look at it. I think Im going to get the doc to have another look at it.

I just want his poor eye to clear up :(

******UPDATE NOVEMBER 3RD******

His eye spontaniously cleared up over a week ago and has been lovely and clear since :cheer: :cheer: :cheer:

Same here, Imogens was horrible and its just cleared up suddenly this week and she looks beautiful and no more soreness!!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back