baby not gaining weight

Reaction score
hiya.
i went for a scan today. im 28weeks and having extra scans due to raised bmi, pcos and the fact diabetes runs in my family.

at the hospital, i had one scan and was called back in for another afterwards as the measurements the lady got of bubs' tummy and femur were small. so she did another scan, then called me back in for another by another sonographer to get the measurements again, and she got pretty much they same measurements.

i was then informed my baby isnt gaining weight. he's weighing approx 1lb 13oz, which i was told is the weigh of babies around 20weeks, and that baby should weigh at least 1lb more than this.

she had ran a doppler test and the blood flow to baby was strong. she also said as the baby was extremely active, she saw this as a positive sign.
she said due to the activity of baby, she was happy for me to go home today but has made me an appointment with the consultant in 2 weeks time.

so basically, although shes told me not to worry, i am! very much!
its my firt baby and im a bit of a pessamist and a worrier and cant help but feel somethings terribly wrong and baby isnt going to be ok.
worrying myself sick and i know i will be until i see the consultant.

has anyone got a similar story? or know what could be wrong? or any advice? i know i sound a bit desperate but im so worried :'(
thanks xx

Welcome to Pregnancy Forum :wave:

It sounds like everything was checked that could be checked to see if there was any indication of a problem. The fact the blood flow is strong is very good, that shows the growth is ok :)

Your baby may not going to be the average 7-8-9 lb baby at term, nothing wrong with that at all :) Maybe you or your partner aren't huge either?

Your baby is active on screen which is another good indication of his/her health as well :)

Try not to worry, if there was a problem they would have said x

I agree with Mamafy that the fact that the blood flow and baby's movements are good is a great sign. I'm sure it must be almost impossible not to worry, but the fact that they have sent you home and not booked anything for the next 2 weeks shows that they aren't too concerned. Weight estimates from scan measurements aren't very accurate, so it's possible that your baby does actually weigh more than 1lb 13oz already. I hope everything is ok :hug:

I just looked up weights at different weeks of pregnancy, and found that the averages are:

26 weeks: 1.68lb (1lb 11oz)
27 weeks: 1.93lb (1lb 15oz)
28 weeks: 2.22lb (2lb 3.5oz)

Considering they are just estimating weight from a few length measurements, there is a good chance they are not going to be very accurate, and from the above values, you are only measuring a week behind even if it was correct - not nearly as worrying as 8 weeks behind. Hopefully you will find that your baby is just on the small side of average, as Mamafy said :hug:

thank you for replies. trying not to worry, although its difficult.
ive been looking it up on the net and thinking more rationally. it says most babies that are small are a result of mums smoking/drinking/drug abuse/bad nutrition. i eat well and dont smoke,drink or take drugs.
hopefully its not as bad as i first thought.

and yes, i agree that if theyve made an appontment for two weeks they cant think its something aweful.
i just dont want my baby in any danger and want him to be healthy.
i'll just have to wait and see what they say

thanks again.xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
itsa1231
Back