34 week hospital appointment

lb1787

Reaction score
Just got back from a 34 wk scan and consultant appointment, they said all was ok but baby already weighs approx 5lb13oz and I have increased amniotic fluid (10cm at deepest pool).
Have to have another scan and consultant app in 3 weeks time when they'll decide appropriate course of action.
I had a glucose tolerance test at 28 weeks and the results were normal, and apart from if I had diabetes (which i obviously don't) the consultant didn't give an explanation as to why baby is bigger. Her abdominal and head measurements were both in the 95th percentile.
Anyone else had this?
DH and I both think baby is going to make an early entrance - consultant mentioned about 3 times in the appointment about coming in straight away if any discharge/contractions so we got the impression she thought baby was going to come early too!

Dont have any experience of this but didn't want to read and run, maybe you're just having a big baby and that there is no explanation?

:hug: :hug: :hug:

like charlie ive not had any experience of this but it sounds like your in good hands :hug:

At 21 weeks my baby was on the 90th. At 20 weeks it was above.

After 27 weeks my findal height has shot up.

So, I have a growth and liquor scan tomorrow.

My babies estimated weight was 3.5 lbs (I think) at 27 weeks.

They said I will have to come back to see docs if they find a problem. Other than the baby being mahussive or having the atlantic ocean in there, I cant see what problems there could be.

I shall ask them tomorrow what there can be other than diabetes, or simply having a big baby (as I was neg for diabetes too)

Will let you know :)

no experiance of this either but :hug: from me
im sure your baby will be fine hunny and if baby comes early he will be a health :hug:

measurments do vary alot. what is said at scan is not exactly 100% true as in birth. my baby measurments are not all average. some are above some are below and yes we do worry and say . why isn't our baby just average. but after all there r ranges.

Mine was measuring over the 95 centile for tummy at my 34 week scan. And just on the edge for head also.

They told me I was having a big baby and esitmated weight then to be around 6.5lbs. Much bigger than yours at that stage :wink:

At 37 week scan baby had levelled off, was all just under the 95 centile, and estimated weight was less than 7.5lb, so in 3 weeks gained less than one pound, when average weight gain is 1/2lb per week.

Galen was born one day overdue and weighed in at 9lb 15ozs. But head and tummy were far from large and he's all in proportion. I had a natural birth, birthpool, TENS, gas and air and gravity (I was standing and squatting to actually deliver him) and it was wonderful. No problems and baby is fine.

TBH my Registrars and Consultants tried to scare the crap out of me with regards to babys possible size etc at both my growth scans and all the problems that might occur because of it (I wanted a homebirth and they advised against it for above reasons). Don't fret overly. Its the Doctors job to look at it all from a medical POV :) Keep positive, don't panic and don't read too much into growth scans past 30 weeks ;) Baby's are running out of room and its harder for them to get decent/exact readings. I know its a worry, but chances are all will be well. If you are planning to deliver in hospital it will be very different from what I did at home, but big babies find their way out pretty well :) And who knows, after all that you may have a 8lb'er and be nowhere near 'big' baby size.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back