• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Baby Massage

nori

Reaction score
Hi All,

Im thinking of giving this a go. The courses are quite pricey so thought id read up on it and do it myself? Could that be dangerous? What oils do you use and where can i buy them from? Also do i wash the oils off after?

Claire x

The class I went to didn't use any specific oils. It was more about the massage itself and the motions you make on babys body etc.

Hi ya hun, i got to baby massage every week but its free here, i have all the handouts with all the strokes on if you want me to scan them for you hun, and as for oil we use olive oil, and you dont wash it off afterwards as its good for their skin. let me know if you want me to scan the leaflets for you.

I'm currently going to a course run by Sure Start that's free - maybe you could look and see if there's on in your area?

I am on a surestart free four week course at the moment, try contacting your local children's centre for details.

I use organic olive oil on Oscar as recommended by the instructor, it is meant to be warming (and his skin is really soft after it sinks in). I think you should be ok to do it on your own without attending a class, the only thing to remember is always massage clockwise on his belly as that it the direction food moves through the gut.

Oz is quite a stresshead sometimes but it does seem to chill him out a bit and it is good for bonding. Classes are good for meeting other mums but I wouldn't want to pay for mine.

Our hospital did a free course, you could check there? James had colic and it did sometimes help. I just used almond oil, but they don't recommend using any nut oils in case of allergy (I was told that after the course had finished!).

Thanks all, i will look at the surestart website if there is one.

Emmie if you can scan them to me that would be great..

Claire x

i will try and do it tomorrow for you hun, do you have an email address i could send them to?

Hi Claire

The reason some people charge is because they pay for their own training and then work privately. I've heard that this is common in some parts of the country where as in most areas the sessions are free.
As has already been said, sure start often run free classes but if you can't get a place you can also enquire if there are any courses near you run by the NHS. As far as I know, an NHS course will be free as the person running the course is not working privately. I hope this makes sense! If your HV has a nursery nurse working with them they sometimes offer group or individual sessions so that may be worth checking out.

Becky said:
I'm currently going to a course run by Sure Start that's free - maybe you could look and see if there's on in your area?
Its free by sure start here too! I will be starting next week! :D

I really liked it although we only got half a leg done by the time he woke up, fed, had his nappy done etc. but he did seem to like it and was really chilled out after it too!

I am so so glad we did baby massage. If we hadn't, I wouldn't have met my wonderful Mummy friends who we are both now really close to.

DD loved it and OH went to one of our four (free with HV but paid £1 a week towards tea & biccies!) classes and loved it too so he learnt all the techniques too.

We were told to use grapeseed oil. Its much less greasy than olive oil - I would really recommend this. You just buy it in the oils section in the supermarket (next to olive oil etc) and I decanted it into a nice bottle with a cork stopper to sit in her room.

We did baby massage religiously every night until DD turned 1 and was just too wriggly and impatient but she LOVED it and has beautiful skin now. You just leave oil on and dress over it.

Valentine Xxx

valentine said:
We were told to use grapeseed oil. Its much less greasy than olive oil - I would really recommend this.

This is the oil we used in the classes I went to. I would recommend it. With Rebekah it was a drop in session, so
I went every Friday until she could escape me! I loved it. I was a bit disappointed with Erin as the demand was so
high they turned it into a 5 week course. I met some lovely mothers at the drop-in sessions and Rebekah was a really
chilled out baby! xx

They run the five week free block of courses here too. I took Ry along to the first session last week and he loved it - especially getting his feet massaged! Was a lovely bonding session with little one too so I try and do it after his bath now if he's in the mood. It's grapeseed oil they gave us to use in the class but I've just been using baby lotion at home.
Hope you find a free course in your area.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
joshatflare
Back