Baby Grace Elizabeth

Have begun to wean Grace off her naps this past week, she has got to the stage where if she does nap she will take a good hour or so to fall asleep at night so has currently only been napping every 3 days or so. Have found though that come bed time she is very tired therefore even worse at co-operating with getting undressed and ready for bed. Therefore on days when she doesn't nap am trying to ensure she has a good hour or so of quiet time even if it's just relaxing and watching a bit of telly...think she definitely needs that "switch off" time. Made that mistake on Tuesday where I took her straight from a play date to Aldis and she had a huge meltdown at the checkout when I wouldn't let her have a kinder egg. Struggled getting her out of the trolley into the car!

Yesterday had one of her worst ever meltdowns, took her straight from tots group to her pre-school for her photo, she sat really well for her individual photo and well for the group one too but didn't want to leave afterwards. ( I guess because she is used to staying there to play). It was a really hot day too and she was giving me the run around, kicking when I tried to carry her out. In the end one of the senior staff members saw me struggling and carried her out for me, so embarrassing. Then when we got half way to car she kicked off again and laid on the grass in someone's front garden! Luckily my mum was with me so she stayed with her while I walked to get the car and we finally managed to get her strapped in. Absolutely exhausting behaviour to deal with at the best of times let alone on a hot day when nine months pregnant!! Once we got home I explained how upset she had made me and she apologised. Spent the rest of the day chilling in the garden.

She did get upset again just after dinner, said her tummy hurt so was pretty certain she was constipated. Threw a tantrum about getting in the bath but managed to cox her in there with the distraction of a book and she did calm right down so think the warm water helped relax her tummy. Gave her lactulose before bed and she did a massive poo today so been much happier! Today we went to next to have a quick look at armchairs before treating her to Pizza Hut for lunch. She fell asleep in car but woke up as soon as we laid her on sofa so just had chilled afternoon and she's been much better.

Did take her to my midwife appointment Wednesday, she waltzed in her office and announced "we're here to check on baby boy!" So funny. Was a really good girl and the midwife really made her feel involved by letting her stand on the step and listen to the heartbeat. Have made arrangements that my mum will come over to be with her when I go into labour, to try and keep things as normal as possible.

Last edited:
So lots has changed in the 2 months since I last updated...Gracie has become a big sister!! Her little brother Dylan was born on 16th June and she just loves him. I was very anxious at first that there would be jealousy issues, so made a point of including her by reading to her when he was feeding and telling her lots how much I love her and what a fantastic big sister she is. At times she can be a bit too loving with Dylan, squeezing him when she cuddles him lol.

Did have a bit of a digression with nursery once he was born, when Mark went back to work and I dropped her off she got hysterically upset, saying she didn't want me to leave and wanted to come home with me, I guess because she knew I would be going back home with Dylan and felt insecure. Was awful, did all I could to comfort her but in the end had to come away whilst she was still crying as Dylan was due a feed and I had nothing with me. I knew taking her home with me would be the worst decision as would make life harder the next time round. I sobbed in the car but by the time I got home her key worker rang to say within 5 minutes she was fine. It then happened a couple more times after that but I didn't draw it out and make it worse...just said goodbye and promptly left. She then seemed to get over it and was fine again going after that.

She was so well behaved in those first couple of weeks after Dylan was born I was amazed...probably because she had Mark there off work too so had lots of attention. Feel very proud at how she's adapted to the change, must be hard after having mummy and daddy to herself for so long. Had her end of term assessment at nursery, they're really pleased with her progress and she's actually a little bit ahead in some of the developmental stages.

Had a couple of evenings where she didn't want to go to bed and would make a fuss when there saying she wanted to come downstairs, mostly when we've had people round as I think she feels she's missing out. Also think she's got that age where she's more aware and some of it is probably also a reaction to Dylan which may be making her feel a little insecure. Also mowing he's downstairs with us. This past week we went up to Liverpool to stay with Mark's mum and we had real problems at bedtime, she was in a strange house and slept in a bed rather than a cotbed like she's used to so we had tantrums and tears at bedtime. In the end one of us had to sit with her until she fell asleep. Been home 2 nights now and this has continued here in that she just wants us to sit with her so indulging her at the moment. Luckily tonight she was asleep within 10 minutes, and mark sat further away nearer the door so hopefully she'll gradually become secure again.

Still having problems with no.2s and potty, has got the point now where I think we've gone on about it too much. Kept saying quick sit on your potty! Every time we saw her straining for a poo and so now she panicks and holds it in, saying "don't want to!" This has led to her become so constipated and this week she went 9 days without a bowel movement. Eventually took her to docs who prescribed laxatives and suppositories. Luckily got things moving just using laxatives although she was crying out in pain poor little girl. Been giving her prunes and got some bran to sprinkle on her cereal. Trying to include as much fibre as we can in her diet.

Last edited:
Congratulations on baby Dylan hun!! Sounds like u r all doing really well and the issues with Grace sound v normal to me!...... Hope she settles down with bedtime again soon and u find a way forward with the potty training!
I'm 41+6 today so being induced tomorrow (just like with Ethan!!!) Its been good to read how you've been getting on- given me a bit more insight! Thanks :)

Since I last wrote Grace continued to be unsettled at bedtime so thought it best to just plough through and make the transition to a full bed given she was unsettled anyway. Has been eventful to say the least! Has been in the bed a week now and every night we have to sit with her till she falls asleep. She also wakes in the night and with either call us or come and find us and we have to put her back to bed and sit with her again until she's fell asleep. Some mornings if she's woken at around 5am she doesn't go back off again so it's such a long day! I then find she's getting exhausted and wanting to nap in the day but if she does she won't go down at night so it's a vicious circle!

It would seem she has a genuine fear of monsters, and will often say "mummy I'm scared of the monsters!" Which is just horrible to hear poor little girl. So I got creative and invented "monster spray" which is basically a bottle of fabreze which we spray around her room thereby illiminating any monsters! This has helped a bit as well as Mark reassuring her by saying he won't let them in the house and tells them to go away back to their cave! She still wakes unfortunately though so we're just riding the storm for now.

Did have one awful night a few nights back where she just wasn't tired so after sitting in the room for an age I tried to leave the room when she was still awake and she kept getting up and continually kept putting her back down. She then took her own nappy off and wouldn't let me put it back on. Ended up putting her on the naughty step as she refused to put it back on and she got hysterical. Eventually she fell asleep from exhaustion and I just sat and cried, felt so out of control with the whole situation. After that night mark got her some Disney princess pull up pants which she has been happier wearing at night, and I've made sure not to let her nap during the day so she will be tired by 7pm.

Yesterday Mark & me went to a wedding and stayed out overnight so nanny & grandad came to look after her, she woke 3 times in the night but said she didn't take long to fall blackout to sleep once they had gone in.

As for the potty training, had a word with my health visitor who sent me some really useful information and said to give it a couple of weeks and if we're still having problems to contact her and she would arrange for someone to visit and do some role playing etc. so we shall see!

Happy to say Grace has been doing much better this week with her sleep, we don't let her nap at all now during the day so she takes no time at all to fall asleep, as a result will take her up a little earlier so 6.30pm some nights. To help with the monster fears I thought it would help if she had something she could cuddle at night to help comfort her so she doesn't rely so heavily on Mark & me to help her fall asleep when she wakes. She has this cuddly plush Princess belle doll so I said to her a few nights back that if she felt scared in the night to cuddle belle and she would make her feel better. It really seems to have worked as most nights this week she has only woken once and even then when she does wake she can settle herself and not need us to sit there. Last night she didn't wake at all which was fab.

As for poos we have had some success there too; my health visitor sent me a copy if the "poo story" which I have read to Grace several times; she did defiantly grasp the concept as in the story it talks about how the little boy knew he needed to go to the toilet as his bottom & tummy tickled, she has then said to me "mummy my bottom tickles I need a poo" so I think for the first time was able to recognise when she needed to go. We also enlisted the help of her cuddly Elmo who I made "talk" to her and guide her through going on the potty promising that she would also get a chocolate button after! We have now had 2 successful poos on the potty so very proud!

As her birthday is less than 2 months away we decided we needed to make plans, we were actually lucky enough to win a voucher at her pre school fate raffle for free bouncy castle hire..with that in mind we decided we may as well use it and have a birthday party for her in our garden. Decided to book it a month earlier though in the hopes the weather will be better in September so have booked for sat 13th September. So far have 9 children coming which is great. Have decided not to tell Grace yet though in case the weather is awful and we wind up having to cancel. Thought food wise we would keep it simple and do hot dogs on the BBQ and ice creams, then I'll make a cake. Can't believe my baby will be 3 years old!!

She starts back at pre school on Thursday, this term I have opted for her to stay on and do the extra half an hour lunch club so will pick her up at 12.15pm. Feel quite anxious about her starting back after having 6 weeks off, worried that she will be really clingy again and not want me to leave. Also worried she will freak about having her lunch there as so used to me picking her up and bringing her home for lunch. Just have to plough through though and hopefully if she does react badly she will settle down again in a few weeks. Must admit I'm looking forward to a bit of time for me to get a few jobs done and also some one on one time with Dylan, has been quite intense being with both kids all day 7 days a week!

Last edited:
Sounds like things r going much better hun! Its great reading how u r getting on with potty training and pre school as we r not there yet with either! Ethan starts in a couple of months and looking to try and crack toilet training over Christmas break when hubby around for 2 weeks straight (unless Ethan decides he wants to before!). Hope it goes well for Grace back at pre school! Enjoy more time with Dylan :)

Ahh good luck for when Ethan starts nursery! Wise idea to wait till your hubby has time off to potty train...that's exactly what we did when we started...did it over Christmas hols and just had a week of staying at home. Hope alls going well with the new baby how is Ethan finding it? Xx

So far he has been really good! Wants to b my little helper! Lol! Some little signs of jealousy but nothing major yet! I'm waiting for it though!! Health visitor was impressed by how he's dealing with it.....like I say though I think we've got worse to come before everything settles down!
Ethan is definitely getting closer with being ready to potty train but I think waiting til Xmas is our best plan at the mo! Xx

Last edited:
He could well be fine hon might find he continues to adapt well and it isn't an issue! We're now 3 months down the line and Grace not really shown any jealousy signs but they do say sometimes it doesn't come until little one gets old enough to start stealing their toys then they get annoyed lol! Glad all going well for you :) xx

Have had a really good few days with Grace, turns out she was really excited to be going back to preschool and even more excited by the prospect of having lunch there with her new Disney princess lunch box! Was really happy when I dropped her off and hyper when I picked her up! This morning when I said she had preschool she said she wanted to stay at home with me but thankfully she was fine once we got there. Make sure I get really organised the night before as quite a mission getting out of the house before 8.30am with 2 kiddies! Get outfits all laid out night before, packed lunch made and breakfast things set out, makes such a difference and have even had some time to spare! This afternoon the weather was lovely so we played out in the garden, I noticed a change in Grace in that she was a lot more independent in her play which has to be a result of preschool...she played really nicely with her dressing up clothes and her baby dolls.

As for poos she has only had one accident while we were out at Jimmy's farm but other than that has used her potty of her own accord and been so excited to get some chocolate after. Why didn't I do the chocolate bribe months ago?!! So nice to be finally feeling like we are turning a corner with the potty and also the sleep. Feel a bit like things are returning to normality now after several months of unsettlement...in the past year we have moved house, then moved back in with my parents twice whilst had renovations; Grace has switched bedrooms, moved from a cot to a big bed, begun potty training, started preschool and become a big sister! That's a lot of changes for a little person!

Mark has this week off work so we are planning a couple of family days out; tomorrow going to take the children swimming and Wednesday may either go to the beach or Mark might take Grace for a ride on the back of his bike. Then Saturday is her party. Have borrowed some lovely fabric bunting off a friend to put up in the garden and have bought some balloons and all the bits for the party bags. Weather forecast good at the moment. Can't wait to see her little face when the bouncy castle arrives!

Last edited:
Hope she has a lovely day hun! Great its all settling down again- you've had a full on year! X

Disappointed it has been so long since I managed to update this journal! Life has just been so busy with 2 kiddies. Grace had a great time at her party the weather was lovely which really made the day. We had told her about the party a couple of days before once we knew weather forecast was good she loved helping me prepare the party bags for her guests! We hadn't told her about the bouncy castle though and her little face was a picture once it arrived and was inflated. She was so excited!! Think we had around 13 or 14 children in the end as some siblings came, besides the bouncy castle we also laid out her sandpit and some garden toys for the kids to play with. Did hotdogs on the BBQ and ice creams in cones with sprinkles, then made a princess castle cake which turned out rather well to my surprise! She got some lovely gifts too.

A couple of weeks ago she caught a sickness bug although thankfully was only sick the once and was fine after. She was sick all over the kitchen floor just after dinner so I literally just had to scoop her up and bung her straight in the bath as it was everywhere! I had thought something was up in the morning as she cried when I dropped her at pre school and didn't want me to leave. I caught the bug 4 days later and was also only sick once (in the night) but the next day felt terrible and ached all over. Luckily just 24hrs though and Mark was around to take care of the kids. Awful being ill when you have children!

Have been feeling a bit guilty of late as Grace has been watching more TV, it's something I've always tried to avoid too much of but difficult now have I the babe and she's been asking to watch it more. Limiting it where I can though so generally she will watch a couple of programmes in the morning whilst I'm getting everyone ready. Once we're all ready we almost always go out somewhere..be it nursery, to a tots group, to run errands or a play date. Then in the afternoons she may watch a movie to chill out and have quiet time as this used to be the time when she would nap. Then more often than not we'll play upstairs in her room for a little bit before dinner. Thankfully she has now progressed from Peppa pig!! This was her favourite programme for so long and I used to get sick of watching the same episodes! She is loving anything disney princesses at the moment, in particular the Cinderella movie & Tangled. We borrowed Frozen off a friend and she is hilarious singing the songs!

She's definitely used to having her baby brother around now although I do think the novelty has worn off! She always used to ask to "hold him" on her lap but hasn't done so for several weeks now lol! Sometimes she'll say stuff like "Dylan pushed me" if he's flaying his arms about like babies do and she's so happened to get in the way. Try to explain this is just what babies do and they have no control over it! She loves him though and will always give him a kiss goodnight.

This week at pre school it was grandparents week and my mum went along for the morning so was nice to hear about what she gets up to. She's doing really well eating her packed lunch there and she almost always finishes everything which is great. She has an online learning journey now which we can log into and it's updated every week with what she has done and a photo which is lovely. Can't believe in less then 5 days she will be 3 years old!! Have noticed a real change in how she looks even in the short time since Dylan has been born. Was looking back at photos of when I was in the hospital and she has got so much taller and leaner since then...her hair has got really long too and desperately needs and a trim...unfortunately she won't have it cut after watching Rapunzel!!

Last edited:
So my baby girl has turned 3! She had a lovely day, we just had family round and did a little buffet here at home; one of best friends also came over with her son which was a nice surprise for Grace. She got some lovely presents, we bought her lots of little things including a play dough icecream maker, puzzles, sticker book, Disney cd and play jewellery. As for presents of family and friends she got very spoilt! She's still massively into dressing up and got an Elsa from Frozen dress, shoes, tiaras, a Cinderella dress & cheerleader outfit as well as lacing cards, the jungle book DVD, clothes & money.

She's very much into imaginative and role play games at the moment, her favourite thing to play is shops..sometimes we play grocery shops or shoe shops, then this week we've used her new icecream maker and sold ice creams and sweets. Also likes to play libraries! So lovely to see her using her imagination.

Grace has been on half term this week so we've kept busy, Tuesday I had my friend Kerry round with her son and the kids carved their Halloween pumpkins. Wednesday I took Grace into town on the bus which she loved and we went to the library to change out her books. Unfortunately though whilst cutting though the mall on the way to get the bus she fell over and put her tooth through her lip! Poor little girl was hysterical but luckily a lady was coming out of a shop and called for help. The security guard radioed for a first aider but thankfully I managed to stop the bleeding by putting pressure on. Managed to get the bus home but she was so upset she fell asleep on my lap on the way home. Mum met us from the bus stop and I popped Dylan in her car in the car seat and then walked up the hill with Gracie in the pushchair. The next day she was much better, the swelling had gone down and she just had a small scab.

Thursday I took Grace to the doctors for a flu vaccine, thankfully it was a nasal spray rather than an injection and she was a really good girl. She now goes to bed at around 6.30pm rather than 7pm, gets tired earlier now she doesn't nap. She's loving her baby brother at the moment, is being so sweet with him it's lovely. I look forward to when he gets a little older and they can play together properly :)

Feel quite proud I have managed to keep this journal going for 3 years now even if I don't get time to update as often! Really feel like my little girl has grown up these past couple of months, she's getting so tall and personality wise she's grown up lots too. Is still loving her role play and really enjoying pre school now, she often likes to pretend we're going to pre school and will get her lunch pack and pack it (with wooden food lol) then gets her rucksack and packs that too. Eating out is now a pleasure as she will happily sit and eat and be easily occupied if we take a puzzle or book. Today was nan nans birthday so we went to a local pub which has a small soft lay area and she was so happy playing in there nicely with the other children. I remember the days when we used to dread eating out as she would just want to run around like a bull in a china shop and get irritable and not want to sit still. Sure it won't be long before we go through that phase all over again with Dylan lol!

Grace now has an online learning journey through preschool which gets updated very week with a new activity she has done. They post pictures too so it's great to see what she gets up to whilst there. Had to fill out the form for her preschool hours in January when she will get her 15hrs a week funding. Have decided to up her from 2 mornings to one full day and one morning so 10 hours a week. Thought 15hrs is a bit much initially so may up the hours gradually say next September up her to 15. This week she did a sponsored superhero walk for children in need and she dressed up as spider girl, also had to wear her pagans to preschool which she thought was great.

Is still loving her baby brother and will always give him a big kiss each morning and night. Will interact with him by offering him toys but will also gladly pinch them off him again (is intrigued by all these baby toys which are coming out now and finding she's digressing back to play with them lol). Looking forward to Christmas this year as shes going to be so much more aware and is already talking about Father Christmas coming down the chimney!

Feel like Grace has suddenly grown up so much these past few weeks, her confidence has increased dramatically and she is so animated and chatty, talking nineteen to the dozen all day! She will happily boss me about lol particularly in terms of her role play/imagination telling me what I need to say ie. "mummy you have to say that princess Grace is coming into the room!" Very cute and lovely but sometimes exhausting by the end of the day!

This past weekend we took her to see Father Christmas, went to hearts delight at Lawford as wanted to go somewhere they had real Raindeer. The grotto was extra special as they had a Disney's frozen section, Grace was a little unsure of em raindeer as they were so big but Father Christmas was a huge hit! She had a little chat with him and asked him for a dark pink bike (which I'd encouraged her to say as that's what we've bought her!) then she got a present. (Melissa and doug sticker pad and a Kids Christmas cd).

That afternoon we put the tree up and this year got a real tree for the first time. Hung her stocking and explained that she would have presents in it on Christmas Day. All feels so magical this year now that she knows what it's all about. That said have bought a book about the Christmas story to read her so she knows about the true meaning of Christmas. She has a nativity play at preschool on the 17th so can't wait for that.

Had a review with her keyworker yesterday at preschool and they're very pleased with her progress, said she has gown in confidence these past few weeks and suddenly gone from playing mostly alone to having a group if friends now so that was lovely to hear. She has been mentioning several children's names so it's nice to know she's fitting in.

She's continuing to be a great sister to her baby brother, even giving him his first spoonfuls of baby rice yesterday. She also talks to him in a cute "baby voice" like we do, and if he's ever upset will come running in saying "Alright Dylan it's okay my darling I'm here!" So precious.

Since I last wrote we had a weekend away to Norfolk with friends and their children, staying in a huge house and Grace loved it! She got on well with the other kids and loved running around and all the space. When we got back she had her preschool nativity play, it was so cute, she was cast as a mouse and we had to make her a costume from grey leggings, tshirt and ears & tail. By the time the curtains went back she was the only one without ears on lol, decided she didn't want to wear them!

Christmas Eve was magical, during the afternoon we laid on the sofa watching Santa Claus the movie (until she fell asleep lol) then we made a big thing about leaving a mince pie & carrot out for father Xmas & Rudolph. Once the kids were in bed I made some "footprints" on the hearth beneath the chimney using talcum powder. Next morning she was delighted with the presents under the tree & in her stocking as well as her main present which was a pink bike. As usual she got ridiculously spoilt by the grandparents!

Tomorrow is her first day back at preschool since Christmas, she'll be doing her first full day! Have explained to here she'll be staying longer so hope she'll be okay, I expect she'll be very tired when she gets home but hopefully won't be upset for staying longer. She seemed quite excited about it when I explained so fingers crossed!

Cannot believe it's been over a year since I updated this journal! Life got extremely busy with 2 children! (and exhausting!) So grace is now almost 4 and a half and doing great, she is such a sweet,funny and loving little girl. She has a great bond with her little brother and is very mothering over him. She goes to preschool Tuesdays and Thursdays all day and in January we applied for a primary school place ready for this coming September eek! Makes me feel sad to think she will soon be a school full time, I'll miss her so much.
She goes swimming on a Saturday morning and ballet on Mondays. She's not overly confident at swimming and hates getting her face wet but really glad we are sticking with the lessons as I think it's so important for children to learn how to swim. She absolutely loves ballet and is very natural at it. She loves drawing but was never keen on writing letters but can now write her name and is getting much better at it. She's currently into barbie...both the dolls and the TV show/videos.

So Grace is now 5! Is doing well at school after a bit of an unsettled start; she would cling on me and cry when she went in. Was just heartbreaking. Thankfully settled now and has made lots of friends, October half term was a definite turning point. That said after Christmas she was a bit unsettled again, says she misses me but is absolutely fine when she gets in there and tonight said she couldn't wait for school in the morning!
Her reading is coming on well, has 2 reading books a week and then 5 new keywords to learn. Still has a lovely bond with her brother, they have lots of fun chasing each other around but have their disagreements too. Swimming wise she is doing so much better, still not swimming unaided but enjoys her classes now and has just started 6 weeks of one on ones to bring her on a bit more. In the summer she learnt to ride her bike without stabilisers so she's been well away riding around the close on it. Also last summer we went camping as a family for the first time, was great and the kids loved the adventure aspect of it. Going to go again this year with a group of friends and their kids too.
Sleep wise Grace has gone seriously downhill! Once a brilliant sleeper she now wakes in the night and climbs in with us! Think it's because she knows Dylan gets in with us so doesn't want to miss out. Problem is we can't all fit in one bed so usually ends up with me getting in graces bed while mark and the kids are in ours! Very exhausting and do really need to address it with both kids.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back