Baby Grace Elizabeth

So this week we are having central heating fitted so have been staying at mum & dad's, been a little bit unsettling for Grace but generally she's been good. Been a bit upset at times with teeth and been wanting lots of attention, at the group on Monday she wanted me with her the whole time. What has been nice about staying at mum & dad's is having quality time with Grace, not having all the housework/chores to do we've been spending time playing with playdoh, colouring and doing stickers. She's very into colouring at the moment and her latest obsession is pirates after getting a "Jake & the neverland pirates" party invitation! Also took her to the library and got lots of new books out.

That said am looking forward to getting back home though, as much as mum & dad love having us there I sometimes feel a bit awkward or bad when Grace is kicking off and having a tantrum! Must be tiring for them both. Was hoping to get the christmas tree up on Sunday but having some re-wiring done on Saturday so unlikely we will even be back in the house :-( May just offer to mum & dad's up instead! Grace has been showing lots of interest in Christmas & when we go anywhere where there's a tree she loves looking at it so I think it's something she'll really enjoy :)

Have had a pretty good week with Grace although still living at mum & dad's, electrician let us down no less than 3 times so we now have another one in to finish off the work. Hoping to be back in by Sunday! That said Grace has enjoyed all the attention from her nanna & grandad, and is still sleeping really well. On monday we had her christmas party which one of the mums from the tots group arranged, I bought her a little mother christmas dress to wear she looked gorgeous in it. Her speech is coming on in leaps and bounds, she's starting to pronouce her words so clearly and is always coming out with funny phrases or things we've never heard her say before. She always does seem to have a language explosion whenever we stay with other people.

Bought her some lacing beads which she has enjoyed doing, like i said last time she's definately one for arts and crafts. Has been making a few different things at the 2 tots groups she goes to, this week she made a christmas stocking and some glittery christmas trees. We did have to take her to the doctors earlier in the week after noticed a large lump on the side of her neck. He examined her chest, ears and throat and whilst confirmed it was a swollen gland said there were no other signs of infection which was good. Said most probably a virus and that it should go down within 3 to 4 weeks. Was a bit worried about how she would be with the doctor, especially as when I have taken her previously she has made a massive fuss. This time though I explained to her where we were going before hand and that the doctor would need to look in her mouth/ears etc, as a result she was such a good girl and I think she even enjoyed him fussing over her! Have yet to make her first dentist appointment which I've been dreading but after this positive experience I have hope that she will behave lol.

Grace had a lvoely Christmas & new year, as usual she was thoroughly spoilt! During the run up she had lots of fun helping me make mince pies and sausage rolls :) On Christmas eve we made a big deal out leaving a carrot out for Rudolph and a mince pie & drink for Father Christmas. She was so excited come Christmas morning to see they had gone and find lots of presents under the tree! We got her a playdough table, some puzzles & a peppa pig dvd - didn't go crazy as we knew she would get so much. Among her presents from family and friends she got a trike, a scooter, a farm set, books, clothes and some owl accessories which will go in her new bedroom once it's decorated.

Was lovely to get quality family time..a couple of days we would eat dinner and sit down and all watch a disney movie - bliss. Also took her swimming which she just loved - is doing so well and floated around on her own just being held up by armbands :bunny:We just let her set the pace and build her own confidence.

This week we have started the dreaded potty training! Thought now was an ideal time as she has shown some interest in the potty after seeing some of her friends using one and also Mark & I were both off work and able to dedicate the time. Had been a lot harder than I anticipated though! Initially I think we were pestering her too much by asking her every 10 mins if she needed a wee, she would automatically say no and be defiant so on day 3 Mark went back to work and I used a much more relaxed approach, looking for signs (such as holding her crotch or crossing her legs) and then ask her if she needed a wee wee. She did actually tell me a coupleof times she needed to go but then once on the potty didn't do anything. Would then say she was finished, get up and 2 mins later wee on the floor! She did however do a poo on the 2nd day which was a great acheivement :) Have got her a reward chart so she gets a sticker whenever she manages a wee on the potty.

Going to give it a week and see how we go, if she gets too stressed or we feel like it's perhaps too soon will give it a break and try again in a couple more months. Would ideally like her dry in the day by the time baby no 2 comes along, just think if I try to potty train her once new baby is here it will be too upsetting/too much for her all at once but we will see. If she's not ready she's not ready.

She can receite her alphabet now which is really cute and have proper conversations with you on the phone which is so lovely. Have chosen a pre-school we would really like to send her to so hoping to go and have a look round in a couple of weeks. Would ideally like to start her on a couple of half day sessions a week in April when she'll be 2 and a half. Other than that for the past 3 days she has not wanted to nap - despite me taking her out in the car which always makes her fall asleep - so am thinking perhaps she's starting to not need them now. In some ways will be easier as I will no longer have to plan days around naps - we can do things in morning or afternoon as oppose to just mornings.

So it's now day 6 of potty training and I really feel as of yesterday we've had a breakthrough! She has started to recognise when she needs a wee and will either tell me or go and get on her potty herself. Today she managed 5 big wees on the pot and only one tiny accident..so proud! We have been doing the bare bottom thing these past few days which made it a lot easier for her to make it to the potty on time rather than having to struggle to pull down trousers & underwear. This afternoon I did re-introduce knickers and she managed well pulling them down.
Went swimming yesterday as felt we'd been cooped up in house, put her in knickers & took the potty along with us. She wore a swim nappy in pool but happy to report no accidents whilst out! Then today I need to get a few groceries so waited till she'd been on pot then knew I had a window of time where we should be "safe" lol! Worked well and although only out for about 30mins she held it for over 2hrs in all.
Have still been using nappies at night but they have been getting drier so seems she is gaining more control of her bladder. Think the biggest test for us will be when we go back to groups and she's distracted. .going to give it a few more days though before we attempt it!

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

She's doing so well! Thinking of trying this week with Kynon, tonight he said wee wee, ran and got the potty himself, sat on it and did a wee! Was totally amazed as I've not really tried him yet! He had nothing on as it was bath time so must be easier for them like that. Does grace go nursery? Not sure how to work that with pottying.

Oh bless him that's so good he did that without prompting! Sounds like he's ready :) Grace isn't at nursery yet, on the 2 days I work mum has her one day and my friend the other. However hoping to start her March/April time so hoping by then she'll be fully trained. If Kynon's already at nursery maybe choose a week when they're closed for half term to start? Am sure the staff will be really helpful though as they must get several kids that are mid potty training xx

Think well give it a go over the weekend as he's only there 3 days and see how it goes, they are going up too quickly! X

Good luck Sarah! Let me know how it goes x

Grace is continuing to do well on the potty, did have a little accident at tots group Wednesday but we were outside and she did manage to tell me but we couldn't make it to potty on time! Today we went round my friends and she did 2 wees on the potty there which was great. Today was the first day without a single accident :bum:yay: so pleased.

She's been eating really well this past week, wonder if she's going through a growth spurt. Has been generally good but was a little monkey tonight when we were skyping Mark's mum, I think because she knew she didn't have our full attention. That said she took great pleasure in showing his mum her potty and even did a wee for her lol!!

Been thinking about telling her about the pregnancy, will most likely wait till after the 20 week scan and then introduce the idea, have no idea what she will think or say or even if she'll understand but plenty of time to get used to the idea!

Last edited:
Had a bit of digression with the potty training earlier this week, Seems the novelty of using the potty and getting stickers had started to wear off and Grace was starting to rebel - stopped telling me when she needed a wee and when I asked her she would get really grumpy and refuse to sit on the pot. So had a few accidents which was a shame after we'd done so well. Then on Wednesday my friend Emily came over with her daughter who has been potty trained for a while, she is now using the proper toilet so as soon as Grace saw Poppy use the big toilet she decided to wanted to use it too! Luckily I already had a Minnie Mouse toddler seat which rests on the big toilet and she has a little foot stool so can now get up there herself and feel quite independent. Likes to flush the loo herself also and we have instilled in her the importance of hand washing.

Although we always put a nappy on her at night they've been dry most mornings even after 12 hours, this morning she said she needed a wee and went to use the toilet even though she still had the nappy on which was great.

She had a lovely time playing with her friend Poppy on Wednesday, is now getting to an age where she'll interact more with other children and they looked so sweet together; Grace sat in her wagon whilst Poppy pulled her around! Then they both got dressed up in princess dresses and play shoes with little heels and clopped around the house holding hands.

Been looking a lot on Pinterest recently to get some more ideas for keeping Grace entertained, aiming to do one or two new activities a week if I can manage it. This week she made cupcakes using play dough, bun cases and little gems for sprinkles which she loved. Also made a mini washing line indoors for her then gave her some little socks to peg on it - she couldn't quite the hang of manipulating the pegs yet but figure in a couple more months she'll manage it.

Had a duvet day today, have all been so busy lately with new house thought we'd have total lazy day so all sat and watched Disney's Peter Pan together. Grace enjoyed it as she's obsessed with pirates at the moment, was quite surprised she managed to sit through the whole movie. Made a nice change from Peppa Pig!!

Going to view a pre-school for her on Tuesday which is both exciting and scary, it's attached to the primary school which we hope to eventually get her into. Thinking of starting her on one possibly 2 mornings a week March/April time, didn't want to leave it later than that as was worried about her feeling pushed out if waited until baby arrived before sending her.

Have noticed again this past week how well Gracie's language has come on, we now how proper conversations and if it's a day when I've been at work she will tell me exactly what she's been up to and who she's seen that day, it's lovely. She was also say if she's hungry or tired which is so helpful! I always remember when she was younger how I wished for the day when she would be able to tell me what she wanted!! This week she's got into jigsaw puzzles; we tried out a different tots group and she did a couple of Peppa pig puzzles there so I managed to pick up 4 Disney princess ones from a charity shop (two 12 piece, one 16 piece and one 24 piece) and she's asked to do them everyday! Been nice to sit there together doing them.

She's now definitely back on track with the potty training, uses the big toilet almost all the time now. Having a few problems with poos though, she doesn't really have the patience to sit on the toilet for long enough so have had a couple of accidents..have a new idea though; have invented the "poo fairy" lol! Told her today after an accident that if she manages to go for a poo on the toilet the poo fairy will bring her a coin or present. She seemed quite excited about it so we shall see if it works.

Had a couple of nights recently where Grace has woken crying; I have a feeling it's from bad dreams :-( last Friday night she woke at 2am and we couldn't settle her again so brought her in bed..needless to say none of us slept after that as she was chatting away. Then another night She woke but when back down again in her own bed after some cuddles. Mark used to get night terrors when he was a little boy so I only hope she doesn't wind up with those.
Has had a recent growth spurt, noticed that some of her pjs are getting short! Her hair also getting really long now (way past her shoulders) which is lovely as I can do so much with it. She looks especially cute with a high top knot :) such a little lady.

Last edited:
So the biggest news recently is that we've told Gracie that she's going to be a big sister and going to have a baby brother! Her first response after pulling a face was "I think I'd like a little girl. Like me". We then said how fun it would be to have a little brother, just like my friends baby boy, Leo (who she loves) she seemed quite happy after that. We didn't mention it again then the next day she just came out with "mummy, your baby boy is in your tummy" so it was lovely to know she'd actually taken it in. She's made a few more references since, the funniest was this morning...we were making jam tarts when she stuffed some of the pastry down the front of her apron. "What are you doing?" I asked.."mummy I have a baby! In my tummy!" She replied, deadpan. So funny.

Still having a few issues with no.2s on the potty the "poo poo fairy" definitely helps as she loves getting a shiny coin but she can be quite lazy. Even with wees she has got a bit slack, might tell me she needs to go but then refuse to sit on loo or potty. Frustrating!

She can recite her alphabet now but misses out H and I, going to try and do a bit more work with her on her letters. She's really got into imaginative play recently, her favourite game is buses, she's the driver and we all have to go on the bus to the beach and have a picnic with her dolls. So sweet.

Awww how cute is grace! sounds so clever saying the alphabet :) Kynon also says he has a baby in his tummy he pushes his tummy right out!

Have had a busy but fun weekend, yesterday we went out for a 30th bday meal, was around 20 of us including 6 kids and all the kiddies were so well behaved. Grace did really well, sat & ate her dinner nicely and when she'd finished were able to keep her occupied with colouring books which was a big step forward. Meals out used to be a thing I'd dread as she'd never sit still and just want to run around all the while. She did still want to get down eventually but when she did sat in the window with the other kiddies looking out at the boats. Now I think we've finally cracked it we're about to have another and go through it all again lol!

She's made lots of references to "mummy's baby boy" in my tummy, will still come out with things though about having a baby in her own tummy, says stuff like "mummy my tummy hurts. My baby boy is kicking". I got a really sweet book out from the library called 'there's a house in my mummy' which has helped her understand things.

This morning I put her in time out for the first time, she'd said she wanted to pay outside and I said she couldn't right away as we were about to skype nanny & grandad and she got in a temper and started throwing her toys. Was amazed that she actually stayed in the hallway for 2 minutes during which time she did calm down a little. Then got her to apologise while I explained why she'd been put there. She has such a fiery side to her and can get in quite a temper now!!

Still having problems with poos on the loo/pot, she gets quite constipated and only goes every 2nd or 3rd day so it's quite a big deal for her when she does go and takes ages. Feel I can't be a cross at her if she's struggling to go poor little girl. Am trying grapes & raisins which helps to an extent but need to up her veggie uptake a bit more as that helps.

She really is a little sponge soaking up new language and information, comes out with hilarious things. Yesterday she said to Mark "Daddy I like your knickers. You look very handsome in them" (he was definitely wearing boxers not knickers lol!)

This week the weather has been warmer & sunnier so she's been spending a lot of time in the garden, so lovely now we have a big garden with lots of room for her to run around in. Will pretty much amuse herself, pushing her dolls around in the pram, playing on her scuttlebug or in her playhouse. She's such a tomboy though, loves getting filthy digging in dirt or stones. Can't wait till summer when we can get sandpit and paddling pool out, I have a feeling she'll be wanting to be out there all day.

Have been living back at mum & dads for the past 3 weeks as we're having more work done on the house, plastering & decorating in our living room & electrics in the bedrooms. The first week Grace was pretty unsettled and we had several meltdowns which resulted in time out/naughty step instances - to the point where I was at my wits end - after that though things improved and she's been much better.

As usual when she's around a lot of people her vocabulary has come on in leaps and bounds, she talks like a 3 or 4 year old. Have finally had some progress with no.2s and toilet training, a friend at work had the same issue with her 2 girls and suggested reading some stories to Grace whilst she sat on potty to encourage her to sit there longer. It has helped massively! Had a lovely day at the beach last weekend with Grace and mum, she was so content digging in the sand, can't wait to go more often in the summer.

I do worry how she will cope once baby no.2 arrives as she is so used to getting all the attention...I can definitely see some jealousy issues and her losing patience if I can't be at her beck and call! We had her nursery induction this week where I went along too & stayed for the session, overall it went well, I think because she is used to going to groups therefore playing alongside other children. She did get a bit clingy/shy when it came to story time and they all had to sit on the rug together - she came over to me to sit on my lap and put her thumb in. They then did some singing and dancing which she did eventually join in but towards the end of the session she asked to put her coat on so I think that was her way of saying she was ready to go home. I Feel quite anxious about her first session without me which will be after Easter, I've never left her with anyone other than friends or family before and I'm worried that she's not going to want me to leave. Have to stay strong though and not let know that I'm anxious as would hate her to pick up on it. Her key worker seems lovely and will be coming for a home visit the day before she starts which is good. She also said she's happy to ring me after the first hour to let me know how she's getting on. Can't believe how quickly my baby girl is growing up!

Finally got back in our house on Easter Sunday! :) Had a lovely Easter egg hunt on the Saturday at Mark's dad's, Grace really got into it with the other grandchildren and had a great time. Since then we've done one in our garden here and she's just loved finding the eggs and then getting me to hide them again.

Last Thursday she started nursery, I was far worse then Grace was, I had a little cry the night before lol! When we got there I decided to stay for half an hour or so until she got settled, she was a little bit shy initially when her key worker spoke to her but then we went outside and she got engrossed in the sandpit with some other little girls and was all "yeah see ya!" When I said goodbye! Her key worker called me after the first hour to say she was absolutely fine and had had snack so that was nice and reassuring. Then when I went to collect her they were sitting outside in the lawn singing nursery rhymes and she was joining in singing and clapping her hands, so sweet to see. One member of staff commented on how confident she was which nice.

Today was her 2nd session and as soon as we arrived she took her coat off and sat herself down at a table by the messy play with her keyworker so I said goodbye and left. Both mark and me went to collect her as he had been working nights and she was hyper when we got there lol! Had done a couple of pictures too. Really hope it lasts as have heard many stories that kiddies start to become clingy after a few sessions once they get to know you're leaving them and play up but we shall see.

Other than that she's been pretty good but are having a few issues at the moment with her not listening...particularly when we're trying to get her undressed at bedtime or leave the house in the morning she's terrible and will downright ignore what we're saying little madam. Other occasional issues are reluctance to wash her hands after the loo..she'd rather be off doing more interesting things. But all part and parcel of a typical 2 year olds behaviour so I'm told! She is very affectionate which I love and she loves cuddles and having her back rubbed. I just love her so much!

Last week was a very challenging one, Grace was unwell with a bad cough and was sick with it one night. Didn't realise till the morning when I went in to get her up poor little girl but think it was the coughing that had caused it as she wasn't sick anymore after that. She then didn't have a great day at nursery, was ok when I dropped her off but was crying when I picked her up and her key worker said she had not been herself and was grumpy. Then we had a busy weekend..on the Saturday she had a birthday party and on the Sunday a christening which Mark & I were both godparents at and she was very whiny there and definately not on best behaviour! On Tuesday this week she was at her worst yet and ended up going on the naughty step twice in a row for being naughty and not listening, once we'd put her to bed I just sat and sobbed.

On the wednesday had arranged to go round an old work friends but I made an excuse as the thought of taking Grace there and her playing up again was too much. Was the best decision I made as instead we had some quality mummy/daughter time at home, baked some cakes together and she had a really good nap in the afternoon. By that evening was a different person so I think a chill out day was definately what she needed. The following day (yesterday) she had nursery again and had a lovely morning there, was really happy when I left her and when I went to collect her, although crashed out on the sofa for 2 hours in the afternoon! All in all I think the bad behaviour was a definate mixture of feeling unwell, overtired and the terrible twos!

On an exciting note her new bedroom is well underway, had the room plastered out Tuesday and the carpenter is coming to fit new skirting and architrave this weekend..then the painting will commence next week! Can't wait to get her all settled in her new room with her toys and things.

Last edited:
Last week was a much better week with Grace, she's totally over her cough now. We had a wedding to go to on Saturday though (just the church) and I was quite apprehensive about taking her after her behaviour at the christening the other week. We went though and she was so so good, sat really well during the service even though there were several other children there getting upset and the bride was 30mins late. We had to stand for he first hymn and Mark held her and we could hear her humming away to the song..so cute! We busted out some snacks too which helped but think she also liked to see the bride in her "princess dress". She did want to go out about 10mins from the end which was fine as most of the other children were outside, she had fun playing hide and seek with some little girls and actually cried when it was time for them to go home!

The weather has been lovely these past few days so she's been playing in the garden a lot, yesterday I got her paddling pool out and she's been so happy to be outside, especially now we have a bigger garden. Behaviour wise she tends to be good for much of the day but we still have issues where she will not listen at bedtime..same thing every night! She's a bugger for bouncing up and down on the bed laughing when we're asking her to co-operate in getting undressed or brushing her teeth. Last night she was on the naughty step for ages for not doing as we asked and basically being cheeky and shouting random words at us or blowing raspberries. Saying that though when we do actually get her to co-operate she is great at brushing teeth..we give her the toothbrush first to have a go then Mark or I will take over to ensure they get done properly. I remember it used to be a constant battle where she would scream or cry; I hated it.

She's still enjoying nursery, they do some makaton signing and the other night at dinner she was all excited to show us "sign of the week!" Very cute. They've been focusing on animals this term and had some guide dogs go in the other day. Her bedroom is getting there, painting all finished, radiator back on wall and blinds up. Carpet is being fitted Wednesday - exciting!

Last edited:
So Grace is finally in her new bedroom! Took her a few nights before she really settled, initially we only had blinds and no curtains up so the light was keeping her awake. Since then we've put curtains up with blackout lining and she's slept much better. So lovely to have all her toys set out in there and she has plenty of room to play.

Trying to make the most of the short time I have just me & little miss before baby arrives, lots of cuddles and relaxing together. Do wonder how I'm going to manage dividing my time between both kiddies, sure it'll be hard to begin with until we get into a bit of a routine. Have no doubt there'll be jealousy issues but all being well Grace will enjoy the big sister role too and helping out, just need to make sure she doesn't feel pushed out in anyway.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back