Baby Gaviscon problems?

SaraLouise

Reaction score
I took Harrison to the gp today for his reflux and they prescribed me some infant gaviscon.

I tried to give it to him after his feed when we got home but it was a nightmare! He was screwing up his face and gagging at just a tiny taste, and when I managed to get a decent amount in his mouth he gagged and then threw up a load of milk (which when your bfing is depressing at the best of times!) and starting hysterically crying! I took me about 10 minutes to calm him down.

Needless to say I am not all too keen on trying it again!

Anybody have anything similar?

I made it up exactly how it says on the box, with 5ml of cooled boiled water, make it into a paste then add another 10ml of water and mix. I tried giving it via cup first and then bottle.

Infant gaviscon is not designed for BF babies!!!! My HV went mental when she realised we'd been given that. It's a thickner and is designed to be mixed with formula.

My DD couldn't tolerate it at all and screamed in pain when on it.

Ask your GP for normal gaviscon. Most don't start with this as it has a slightly higher salt content, but it is a neutraliser rather than a thickner.

It made my baby really constipated :(
In the end I just rode the sickness out as it only lasted a week.

Infant gaviscon is not designed for BF babies!!!! My HV went mental when she realised we'd been given that. It's a thickner and is designed to be mixed with formula.

My DD couldn't tolerate it at all and screamed in pain when on it.

Ask your GP for normal gaviscon. Most don't start with this as it has a slightly higher salt content, but it is a neutraliser rather than a thickner.

Just by-pass the gaviscon completely and ask for ranitadine. Infant gaviscon did naff all for my son. As said already, it's just a thickener, so we just kept our son on the anti-reflux formula which does the same thing. After 24 hours on ranitadine, our son was like a new baby! Going back to having 7-8oz feeds again.

Yep def go back to GP and ask for ranitidine. So much easier to give - small syringe twice a day. Randitine works differently to gaviscon- ranitidine will slow down acid production so they don't get the pain from the acid. Wish you luck.

My LO has been having gaviscon for a few weeks now. We give her it at the beginning of a feed as I found she threw it all up at the end as she was obviously too full! She doesn't like taking it but I use a wee dropper and try and get her to take as much as possible before she gets too irratible. I stopped giving it to her with every feed as she just got constipated and now only give it with first feed, one in afternoon then bedtime feed. Hope you get on better.

Been back to the docs today and got some ranitidine for him. Hopefully this works!

Sent from my HTC One S using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back