Help with giving baby Gaviscon....

eldraW

Reaction score
Hey.

As some of u know my little man has reflux and has been prescribed gaviscon. He absolutly hates it and just gaggs on it n spits it out. He crys his eyes out everytime i try t giv him it. My doc told me to try just giving him half or quarter of th sachet which i did and he still wont take it. Its got to the point where if he is swallowing a little bit its making him be sick and hes bringing all his milk bak up. Anybody know if i can give him it before feeds instead of after as another thing is tht after a feed he is always too full and closes his lips really tightly when i try gettin the bottle in. It does say on the sachet to give it after feeds tho.

I have ran out of ideas now and i really want to do summit to help him. Any ideas??

Thanks xx

My neice had pretty bad reflux and im sure my sister just put the sachet in her milk... you could try that?

x

Thanks for reply.
Im breastfeedin hun and doc says even if i expressed he wud still taste it in his milk where as bottle fed babys cant.. Strange i know but thts wht he said lol. Summit to do with breast milk aparantly xx

i would of thought it would be less noticable in expressed milk just because our breastmilk tastes slightly different as to what we eat.
Does LO take a bottle? I think ive read about giving babies cool boiled water with a some fresh orange... (i may be wrong but im sure i read it on a thread) for constipation... a couple of drops may change the flavour but then i suppose you might give him the runs... more than a normal breastfed baby has anyway. hmmm Im stuck for ideas sorry x

Yeh he wil take a bottle. Hmmm not sure wht to do, and thanks hun u have been a great help :). The doc said the only other thing that he could have is somethin thts a lot stronger but can only be prescribed from hospital.

Xx

I had to put Ellie's in her bottle but I ff her.. Try it with ur expressed milk there's no harm in it.. If not maybe just an oz of formula with the powder in?? It does really help to get that gaviscon in the system.. Any possible way lol!

I was breastfeeding and used to mix the gaviscon with a small amount of my milk then syringe it in she still wasn't to sure but was allot easier! she ended up having rantidin Aswell which was prescribed from hospital x

Thanks ladies. Well i expressed just 2oz as we were going out and i always make sure i have expressed a little bot to take with me, well Leo had the 2oz and wen i got bak i tried him with the gaviscon how i would normally do it and he still wouldnt take it so i hand expressed a little bit of my milk into the bottle with the gaviscon and after a lot of trying he eventually took it and i am so pleasd. I only put a little bit gaviscon in like the doc had asvised.

So does anyone know if i can maybe a express a little bit into a bottle with a little gavison BEFORE every feed, give him that in a bottle n then feed him from breast for the rest of his feed? I know it states on box to give him the gaviscon after feeds but do u think it will matter as i think this mite be the only way it will work.

Also sometimes he feeds very frequently so i told doc i would give him it every other feed, but thts wen i ws trying to give him a full sachet. But now im only using a little gaviscon should i do it before EVERY feed?

Hope someone can help me.

Thanks xx

There's no harm in giving it to him before a feed, I used to put it in Ellie's bottle so she drank it while feeding.. Would be the same if u gave it to him then fed straight after.. I can't remember how long between doses.. But assuming it doesn't matter I'd be inclined to give it at every feed so he gets used to it, knowing a feed comes after the dreaded medicine lol, but if there needs to be a time gap I'd stick to the gap no matter how much he's had.. Best bet is to go into a pharmacy and ask them.. If not nhs direct should know.. Or ask a doc to call you?
Glad he's started to take it :)

Thanks again hunni.

It says only 6 in 24 hrs so im assuming 6 sachets. Im only givinf him bout quarter sachet at a time at min so i suppose quarter before every feed or with every feed for the time being will be fine. Ive just made some more gaviscon n hand expressed some milk into it. So... My plan is to keep him on the breast for a while and then try and judge when to take him off and give him the bottle so hes not to full to take it. Failing that im just going to have to give him it before a feed.

Thanks again hun xxx

How many feeds do you give him on average? Issac normally has about 5 maybe 6 feeds.. he was going 4hours between feeds until the other day. So if it was me id be giving him the full sachet before every feed.. but if he feeds alot more than that then you could spread the dose out, My sister gave my neice hers with every feed and even then she still had problems keeping her milk down but there was some improvement

xx

Sounds like a good idea.. If it doesn't say to leave a certain time between doses I'd assume it's ok to give it when u feed.. Hope it helps it's not nice when they are in pain :(

Hmmm didnt really work with the guessing when to take him off the breast so just going to have to express some and mix it with his feed. Im just worried as like i say it states for bf babys to give after a feed. Think its something to do with it creating a barrier so that th milk isnt able to come back up. I dont know i just want to do whats right lol xx

Oh and also it just says after every feed but like i said to doc sometimes he goes on every hour so i was just going to do every other feed but thts when i thought he was going to take a full sachet. Xx

Fin has reflux and I've been giving him the 2 sachets after feeds with water and stringing into his mouth to swallow which he loves. Unfortunately it gives him constipation and his once yellow soft poos ard now green playdo poos and he's not going as well or as easily :-( am stopping the gaviscon mow to help him get back on track.... It's nog easy at all.

Keep trying you'll find the best way soon :)

Sorry to hear that hun must've been awful, changing one problem to another :(

Have you tried using a syringe instead of giving it in a bottle? x

Thanks ladies.

Ive been managing to give him a little gaviscon in some of his feeds but only wen puttin it in a couple of oz of expressed milk and using tht as his feed? Wht do u rekon?

Xx

Sounds good, as long as he's getting it and regularly then however u do it is fine :) hope it helps!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back