Baby could come early!!

bwakeling

Reaction score
My wife (33 weeks) was told by the midwife yesterday that our baby is 6lbs already, will be 10lbs if she goes full term, and could be here in as early as three weeks!! We'd better start packing some hospital bags!!

Can we still have a home birth if my wife delivers at 36 weeks?

Ben

Ooooh how exciting for it to be sooooo near! I have no idea about home birth at 36 weeks but if alls ok with baby and mum I don't see why not! Do you have any names for him? Get packing that bag!

Bags all packed now - we've been knuckling down just in case!! Got a few names, but not sure yet!

I think the limit is 37 weeks for home birth but best to check they may let you go ahead at 36 if babe is that big already! Good luck

Because anything less than 37 weeks is technically preterm or premature, you wouldnt normally be able to have a home birth or even a birth centre birth. Regardless of weight/size there is a massive difference between outcomes at 36 and 37 weeks. They'd want you were the baby could be moved to SCBU/NICU in the event of it needing a little assistance.

Be wary of these weight estimates too.....they are notorious for being wrong.....:)

I was admitted with pre-eclampisa at 33 weeks and had a scan to check water levels etc and was told that DS was measuring exactly for his age but average 5lb 6oz!!! I thought I would have to deliver a small elephant if I went to full term....Charlie was born on his due date weighing only 7lb 3oz and ended up in prem baby clothes cos he was really long but slim so didnt fill them out!!!

Nothing to add that hasn't already been said :flower:

Thanks all! 35 weeks and no signs yet, although my wife is very uncomfortable all the time!

Not long now - you must both be really excited

Glad she's doing ok, other than being uncomfortable, thats not fun, not long to go until baby's fully cooked though

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DreamRapeVic
Back