Baby Breathing Monitors

Candygirl

Reaction score
ok, so Im a little paranoid about cot death
is anyone else??
I have seen a baby breathing monitor I would really like to get, but its £75...do you think its worth the money or am I just being a silly cow??

Hiya Hun,

If its the Angel Care Baby Monitor that your talking about I have one of those.

I was so worried about the risk of cot death especially when at 9 weeks I put Jack into his own room. I bought one of these and it has out my mind at rest no end. I can now relax on an evening knowing that if he stops breathing the alarm will go off. Obviously the worry of cot death never goes completely because it can't prevent it happening but just knowing it will let you know if anything does is, in my eyes, worth every single penny :D

its worth it for your peace of mind I think

I won't be getting one as I live in a studio flat so I'll be able to hear the baby breathe even if I am in the bathroom :lol:

I'm going to get an angel care monitor for peace of mind. Had one for James too. Bear in mind they do sometimes give false alarms!

James stopped breathing at 6 days old and had to go back into scubu for intravenous antibiotics so it's a big fear for me. I dread the first few days at home with the new baby more than labour!

It is quite rare that your baby would stop breathing though so try not to worry too much :hug: :hug:

thanks ladies

the one I was looking at is the respisense one - its portable :D

Like you say - for peace of mind, I think its worth it..... and in the first few weeks Im sure I will need all the :sleep: I can get without waking every 5 minutes to check on the breathing

Lol course you're not being a silly cow!! I have the same worries, my OH's friends daughter died of cot death so we got the tomme tippee monitor with movement sensor, not a heartbeat one though. If it doesn't detect any movement for 20 seconds it will set off an ear-piercing alarm. It's about £50 from Argos.

Im so glad Im not the only one that has thought about this.
Cant help feeling like a silly cow... :oops:
I know that cot death is not very common, but its something that has been on my mind ever since I fell pregnant.

Im such a worrypot...if Im not worrying, Im crying :rotfl: :rotfl:

Which? magazine didn't rate the Angelcare monitor that highly because of reception and as I'm in a hundred year old flat and we have problems with the router seeing the computer depending on the room I'm in. I didn't know what to do as I really wanted a monitor with a breathing mat but that was the only one they had reviewed that had the mat! I decided to get the Angelcare for the mat, as lots of people on the forum have used the Angelcare and liked it, and another monitor for hearing baby. So I wrote down the ones recommended by Which? (yes, I do depend overly on that magazine :D ) and went shopping and was delighted to find the Tommee Tippee one that they recommended could come with a mat!!!!! And it was £80 in TK Maxx instead of £110 from Mothercare.

I know I'm paranoid so I think it's better to do things to relax me than to spend all my time being worried. The parent handset flashes everytime there is a movement so I will be able to 'see' baby breathing from whatever room :D

i have the angelcare, i would never settle without it!!!!!
the other day jack managed to either move away from the sensor or move the mat whislt wriggling and the alarm was going off at 7.15am, i have never moved so fast in my life!!!!!!!!!worth every penny!!!

My god-daughter died of cot death at 3 months old so it's something I really really worry about!

I got the Tommee Tippee one from Argos too and it was £50. You can get them from Mothercare and Boots but they are over £100 for exactly the same :shock:

I think they are well worth the money.... go and get one for your baby and your peace of mind :hug:

Personally I won't be getting one of those, I've already had two children and these were not an option when they were born, and the baby will be either sleeping in his crib next to my bed or in his carrycot during the day in the lounge, so this would mean moving the pad everytime he slept somewhere different and I would then worry more if I hadn't moved it.
We are getting a digital one instead so will have no interference from other monitors/walkie talkies etc

Having said that if he is born with beathing problems then I would go out and get one.

I was all set to get the tommy tippee one - but my OH was talking to his mate at work and he put him off by saying that it kept going off all the time for false alarms and in the end he took the mat away and just used the monitor.

I was going to get the one with a camera on it instead - I thought it would be more useful when baby is a little older (its more expensive too). Baby will be in with us for months.

Hmmm now Im not sure what to do???

Gemma, I'd say get the mat. You can change the sensitivity on the Tommee Tippee one if needed (mattress too thick/thin). And if you still get false alarms it is no use for what you have bought it for so you are entitled to a full refund.

I have bought the angel care on advice from a freind who says it's fab. I haven't set it up yet or tested it which I really should get round to doing.

The main reason I got it is because he will be going straight into his cot and although it's next to me I'll feel happier knowing it will alert me if anything should happen.

Yes Ive had a re think and we are getting the tommy tippee one!!
I have just read the inside soap magazine (i know its only a soap) Laural and Ashleys baby dies in emerdale,
Is the tommy tippee one better than the angel care one?

Hubby and I debated over getting and using one of these. He did lots of reading up on them and how good the results actually are etc. He was not overly impressed enough to want to get one.

His felt that chances are it would make me more paranoid than is good for me. He's right in a way. Also it would mean moving it from the cot to the pram etc and I'd never really know a moments peace.

LO will be sleeping right next to us for the first 6 months and I think that while I will worry, as all new parents do, I shall actually be better off without it.

Baby will be sleeping in the advised postion, feet down, in a sleeping bag on a new decent mattress. Also the room temp will be within the considered safe/good margins. We don't smoke, don't drink and have done what we can to investigate all the other things that are felt to make a baby at higher risk and try to address them. Will also have good baby monitor (digital thing) that rates highly.

If I do have any cause for concern I hope I can discuss with MW or doctor and see if they consider LO needing monitoring and if so then I'd use one, but otherwise, I'll start off without.

totally understand your views and each to their own really
for me personally, even though LO will be next to me for the first while, I still want one as I am such a deep sleeper. I am worried that because of the lack of sleep, when I do actually get to sleep I will be sleeping like the dead.
Its for this reason on its own that I want one...

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back