• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Babies Surname

Flame

Reaction score
I know this is not really about what to name your baby, but whos surname are you using for your baby if you are not married? Yours or your partners?

My partner has a bit of a funny surname and i want to use it because i am a bit of a traditionalist like that and i think his parents would appreciate it, but at the same time i dont want to use it because i dont want him/her to have the mickey taken out of them for the rest of there lives.

What would you do? :think:

i have double barelled my daughters she is batham-tomkins registra said alot of people r doing it now

Our surnames would sound very strange double barralled because they sound pretty similar, but i have thought about it.

I kept my former married name so my DD would have the same last name as me,DS has his Dad's last name(my OH), and so will this baba.

Have you chatted with your OH about it?

No not yet, he isnt very talkative about the pregnancy yet, i think he is waiting till the next scan to make sure everything is ok before he gets excited or planning things.

Well i spoke to him last night about it and he said that he's not sure about what surname to use and asked what other people use :roll:

And in the end he said "we've got ages to think about that yet anyway".

Typical.

We're using my OH's surname, mainly because we're living together just haven't got around to getting married. I think if I was living on my own I'd use my surname. Maybe it depends on the level of commitment in the relationship?

At the end of the day it's a personal choice. There's no right or wrong answer.

me and OH have used my surname for Jamie as we r not married yet! when OH asked why he couldnt use his surname i said 'cos i grew him for 9mths so there!!'

just makes me pester OH to get married sooner than lil one can have daddys surname!

maybebaby said:
Maybe it depends on the level of commitment in the relationship?

Its not really a commitment issue for me more the fact that his surname is something that my child will be picked on for, if it was a normal name then i would definately use it.

I wasn't married when Aaron was born but I knew we would get married so he had my dh's surname for 7 months and then we got married so we all have the same surname and no having to change all his birth certificate etc.

I'll definitely use OH's surname. Just seems right somehow. Daft how you can be traditional about something when you don't have a traditional relationship.

I think it could get a little awkward with things like school and doctors if I have a different surname to my child, so eventually I'd like to change my name to OH's, either by getting wed or deed poll (romantic eh?)

I dont know whether i would take his name on even if we did get married, I get teased about it already at work. When he orders a take away or anything like that he uses my surname, but at the same time i dont think i would feel married if i just had the same name as i had before.

I have thought of trying to make a differant surname out of the two but they all come out pretty bad.

:lol: I use my OH's name for ordering take aways and stuff, as it's a lot easier than mine. Mine's Italian though and I really like it as it's so different. I do get a bit fed up of spelling it all the time but it's handy in an Italian restaurant! :D When I split up with ex-DH I couldn't wait for divorce to come through to get my name back and did a change of name deed!

I used to get teased about it a bit at school, but now I love it cos it's so different and people always remember who you are.

Is your OH's so bad?

If you were married, would you give baby his surname?

Maybe speak to you OH and see how he feels, was he bullied at school for his name?

Yeah unfortunately it is pretty bad, to give you a clue it is part of your body to the back of you, but it is spelt and pronounced with an e on the end

Do you think you will ever get married? If so and if you'll use OH's surname then maybe it would be easier in the long run to give little-one his name to start with (rather than have to change it later down the line).

If not then if you dislike DH's surname I don't think there's anything wrong with using your name! It's traditional to take the father's name but in this modern society I doubt anyone much cares either way really.

LBxx

the other thing to think about is that even if you get married everyone is presumeing(?sp) that u will take oh's sir name even if i get married which we will probably do one day i would still keep my own sir name.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blehhj
Back