babies in carseats?

Dee1985

Reaction score
im sure i heard somewhere that babies should not be kept in a car seat for longer then 2hrs? is this right? i heard it puts strain on the babies back?
as my preg friend is looking for a buggy she was going to get a car seat one but shes out alot and it would mean baby being in carseat all day?
i personaly prefer the prams so baby can move about.

does any one no if there is any recomendations for babies in car seats to long?

i heard the same as you hun. i have a car seat one too but there is no reason that you cant put them in the main pushchair bit. alex went in from new born as our reclines right back to sleeping - has a nice big coseytoes so he was all snug too.

they are handy if babes falls asleep in the car and you want them to stay that way while you shop. but if you know you'll be a long time then just pop them in the pushchair.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Yes that's right...is she not getting a 3 in one then Dionne?

My 3 in 1 was great, I'd use the big pushchgair bit when I was doing something like shopping, and the car seat bit when I drove Mason to school then had to push Brody for 5 mins to and from the carpark.

If she can I'd go for a lightweight 2 in one, so she's got the car seat but also a stroller type one she can get plenty of use out of too.

urchin said:
Yes that's right...is she not getting a 3 in one then Dionne?

no she has a tiny car and wants to get quinny zapp. you use the car seat bit for the first 6months then when baby can sit unaided they can then go into the pushchair?

i just thought there were some guidlines as to how long baby can be kept in a car seat. i told her this she looked at me gone out so now im just making sure what i said was right :lol:

i had the 3in 1 and used it as and when it suited. long walks round town i used pram. popping into a shop i used car seat

Hmm...maybe you could suggest to her to buy a baby carrier then....although I don't know if that's any better for the baby's back

Sorry hun i thought you meant a 3 in 1 like urchin was talking about :doh: thats what i have!

hmm wouldnt be happy with something that wont go flat when they are wee personally.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

They should be pretty much flat till they can hold their heads up really. We had a 3 in 1 and it was great till we got a stroller. What car has she got then?
Doesn't the quinny have a pram cot attachment??

NO THE QUINNY DONT IT CAN ONLY SUPPORT A CARSEAT SHE HAS A MICRO

yeah it is true hun if bubs will be in the pushchair instead of in out of car could she go for summit like a pramette?

That's why I won't drive far with Damien Beanie, good link. No wonder the poor thing had an apnoea in the carseat :(

I had a travel system but never used it as a travel system if I was going to be out for a long time. When I went on a day out I'd put him in the main pushchair.

Hi

ive never heard of this but would think they shouldnt be kept cooped up that long
Katrina

How about a travel system with a newborn snug insert??

http://www.toysrus.co.uk/Product.aspx/B ... ref=Search

If you click on image gallery it shows you. The newborn insert lies flat and faces the parent like a normal carrycot but is really light and soft so can fit into a small space in the car.

I don't know how true this is but a woman in clinic yesterday told me that in Birmingham the new craze is to put babies to bed in their car seat rather than a cot/moses basket, and there has been a significant increase in cot death. I've never heard of this until yesterday, has anyone else heard it??

never heard of that before Kim
i had that pushchair B was only in his snug for like 8 weeks tho to tall for it lol

oopppps Ellis is always in his car seat when i am out will not really for more the 4ish hours! when i went to chessington i had him in the buggy bit.

he seem really comfy in the chair though!! :?

xxx

I never understand things like this. If those car seats/travel systems are so bad, why are they on the market still? Just curious :wink:

I have a travel system and when Rebecca was a new born she used to sleep in it during the day, as it was snug and cosy, I'm sure she felt secure in it. it hasn't done her any harm, no mangled spine or anything! :wink:

When I bought my pram I was advised against getting a travel system in Mothercare as the sales advisor said that it's advised against leaving babies in car seats for long periods of time.

From the link Beanie provided it seems that they advise against using them for longer periods due to the evidence that babies don't take in as much oxygen whilst they are in them because they have little control over their necks etc. I also know from when I was researching Ella's flat head problem that it's advised that you don't leave babies in car seats or on their backs for long periods as it's makes the flatness worse.

I guess they can still sell them as they probably don't expect people to keep their babies in them for a long time? Normally when people use the car seat attachement on their pushchair it wouldn't be for hours I imagine? :? Not unless they're bloody fit and out walking miles! :lol:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back