Babies and pets

I'm probably going to mimic what a lot of ladies have already written...but I definitely agree that pets are part of the family and it shouldn't have to cross your mind to get rid of them just because your having a baby. I have two small-ish dogs, they are my babies too lol and as long as I set up rules and a strict routine and train them from the start there's no reason to ever get rid of them! I also have a cat arriving from Spain (I used to live there and came back here few months ago) so looking forward to my little Timmy coming to join my two dogs, they all adore each other :) My family also like to poke their noses in saying how stupid/irresponsible I am, how I should consider re-homing my cat and it's bad enough with two dogs, telling me horror stories that cats like to sit and suffocate babies...it breaks my heart that they can't trust that I made the decision to have animals and to have that responsibility. I will follow through and continue to be so when my baby arrives!
It really is down to common sense at the end of the day, no one with two brain cells would leave a baby alone with any animal, no matter how much you trust your animals, dogs can be a tad rough and cats do like cosy spots and if anything as long as your animals and home is clean it is a FACT that it is very good for a baby to be brought into that home and it helps to build their immune systems :)

xx

I totally agree! I mean my 2 are a bit hyper but for most of the day they are cuddled up together sleeping! Once they meet the baby and get used to the fact that the baby will be a permanent part of the family the will learn to adapt. Like I said I wouldn't leave a baby/child alone in a room with ANY type of animal big or small, fur or feathers so its not like we're being irresponsible about it! Like you said its good for the baby to be brought up with pets!

We had four cats when our dd was born. they just stayed away from her.

we now have snakes, bigest being a 10ft burmese python, tarantulas, bearded dragon (all in tanks/vivs) and 2 cats. all of them will be staying as we know they wont do any harm x

If I am honest Skippy our JRT/Alsatian is getting on a bit and she will pass before baby gets older, which I am not looking forward to she has been my total rock for 11 years, she has been through buying/forced selling a flat, she has been through Divorce with me and all the time she has been there, she also was the dog who sits there guarding me before we even found out about baby lol that's pretty much how I knew!!

Skye our Beagle/Spaniel is scatty and hyper, she hasn't been done yet so that will happen before baby but I don't tink much will change.

I don't think anyone can tell us what to do with our animals we love them as if they are our babies, so I say stuff em :)

yep bella, me and OH where talking this morning b4 i left for work saying we would love a german sheapard, we lost a german shepard cross back in march. but we both agreed to wait until johan our dog has passed but could be another 4/5 yrs, so by then kid/s will be big enough to understand dogs etc.

Bellariven - a JRT cross alsatian ...... You've made my day!!!! Please post a photo!!! :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::lol:

To me pets are part of the family, i mean i wouldnt get rid of one of my kids just because they didnt get on with another one of my children. The biggest problem i had when jake was born was not to do with the cat but to do with paige, she would try and scratch him through jealousy. I know she will be more of a "mummy" to this baby as she understands more now and jake is used to having a sister so dont think it will bother him. As for the cats, Paige pulls them about so im sure they will continue to keep out of the way! xx

i must admit i worry about my cat, shes had a tuff life. shes had 2 lots of kittens 1st lot died. as i was about to get her done, they said she was pregnant again. shes moved house with me sooooo many times. her bro died 4 yrs ago. got ran over, that changed her. then she got ran over, and lost her back leg and half her tail. but my mum and step dad want her if she dosnt get on with the baby (i had to live with the inlaws for 9 weeks while we brought a house and she wasnt aloud to move in, mum had her and was gutted when i took her back)

As requested here is my ickle Skippy :) I love her to pieces and I have spent too many drunken nights trying to figure out which was which.........
n700011001_1238547_8680.jpg

Skye is there too lol, Skippy is the size of a terrier and as noisy, she has alsatian teeth, claws and colouring :)

Awwww! That pic is gawjus! I do love a doggy :) Got more pics of my 2 than I have me and my OH together lol

Sooo cute bellariven!! Thank you! I have a patterdale terrier. He's a bit mental but that's just a terrier thing!! It's going to be funny giving as much love to my wee babba after all the love i have given to my dog, but priorities change and itll do mine no harm to realise he's not number 1 in our house!! I love your wee ones xx

Oh my word bella, skippy is the spit of my friends dog, will find photos and upload them. Same colourings as my johan, will put a photo of him up as well.

I'm probably going to mimic what a lot of ladies have already written...but I definitely agree that pets are part of the family and it shouldn't have to cross your mind to get rid of them just because your having a baby.
xx

Absolutely agree..........although some people do use this situation to get rid of their pets because they can't be bothered to put in the work before baby arrives to get the pets acclimatised.

I have 9 dogs and 3 cats - none are going anywhere!!!

We've put in hard hard work in the last few months making sure that their training is completely up to scratch and beyond ready for the new arrival. They are all trained to a high level and we are both experienced dog trainers!!!

I think common sense has to come into too. Don't leave baby and pet(s) alone in the same room, give pets a baby free zone and baby a pet free zone if possible, use crates (dogs love their own 'room'!!) and baby gates and teach mutual respect.

I am sooooo looking forward to my LO getting involved with the dogs, we show and race them so hopefully we'll have a mini musher to run the dogs too!!

I'll have to watch my cat because he's a bit of a scratcher and biter. He's only playing like and he has never broken the skin but I think that sort of stuff can cause fears about animals to take hold if a child experiences it early in life.

I would love 9 dogs. Hubby would kill me.
My dogs (fluffy one is oscar he passed away in march) dark slimer one is johan my baby.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9810 using Tapatalk

I have 4 dogs and they will all be very much involved with baby, being around etc. In a sensible and safe way of course! They are part of the family....and were here first!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
itsa1231
Back