Average weight gain in first trimester ?

Sarah W Baby Belly

Reaction score
I feel guilty about asking such a trivial question when there are people who are suffering worse worries than me.

But I just wanted to ask a quick question about weight gain.

I have been lucky enough not to have been sick, but this does mean that my appetite has been normal. I have also been able to exercise.

my 'very slight' concern is that I have already gained 3 pounds. This was over the space of four weeks. I am bloated and my boobies are bigger so I am not excessively concerned.

I was just wondering how much weight everyone else put on in their first trimester. I know you are supposed to put on between 2 and 4 pounds in the first 12 weeks, but at this rate I will overtake this

Can anyone shed any light over this?

I wouldn't worry, I think the reason most people dont put on much weight in the first trimester is because of nausea and vomiting and not eating much, If you havent really suffered these then you will prob have but on a few pounds, as although the baby is tiny and weighs next to nothing, its likly that you will be starting to retail some fluids and but on some fat stores.
My weight went up initially then I hit a bit of late morning sickness and now Im balloning. I just weighed myself and I have now gained exactly 1stone and I feel like crying! :cry:

I am not too sure when it comes to weight gain... I weighed 9 st 5 when I 1st fell pregnant I got weighed on Friday by the midwife and I am now 9st lost 5 lbs i am 16wks and 4days preg too....

I've put on 4lb so far. Reckon I will put on a lot more once the nausea has subsided!

Cat

If I have only put on a stone by my 25 week I will be elated!

:D Well done! :D

I am expecting to have put on at least a stone and a half, maybe even more :x by that point.

A good friend of mine put on about seven or eight stone during her first pregnancy in 1996 and has never lost it. As a result of this I am making sure I eat good quality food and not eating junk. I am also getting my 30mins of exercise three times a week, which definitely seems to be boosting my self esteem.

How about everyone else?

Ah thanks Sarah, I jst know my mum never shifted baby weight, (but then againshe is lazy and dosent eat as well as she could) and I just hate the thought of being the same. I have always had a really good figure and loved the fact that I could get away with wearing anything, I want to be able to start dieting and exercising as soon as the babys born but I cant even do that straight away. I will be starting aqua natal classes in a couple of weeks, and I have my pregnancy yoga DVD but its really tame stuff that more shows you breathing techniques. Plus my back is bad so I cant over excert myself.
I dont know if you can diet after giving birth as it might effect brest milk, as I think you need tokeep your calorie intake up. I will have to check this with my midwife next time I see her.

Hi again

Yes I too am concerned with weight because I gain weight very easily. I have a really good appetite and the pounds creep up on me quite happily.

Back in 2000 I was obese and it took me three years to lose the weight that I needed to, to become 'normal' and it was a long journey.

The thought of gaining loads more weight than necessary and being obese again on a permanant basis really freaks me out.

At the moment I am just trusting my instinct and appetite, but if I start gaining more than they recommend I may have to keep food diaries, just to check, because it is so easy to inadvertantly load up on sugary drinks and biscuits without thinking about it.

Its a good sign that you have been able to lose a large amount of weight before, you know that you can, and your skin must have a fair bit of elasticity to it. I have never been over weight and have gained stretch marks already, I know what you meen about the food thing though, its hard to know if the weight being put on if from pregnancy weight or eating the wrong things, I must admit I have been snacking in the evenings recently which probably isnt helping! My partner doesn't understand why its bothering me, but I guess its cause I feel I have no control over my weight gain, I cant go on a diet or start working out like hell, I just have to sit there and let myself get bigger. Im hoping that if I start working on getting my figure back asap I have a better chance of suceeding, plus I am still young, which should work in my favor.

Weight gain?! I've lost 9lb since being pregnant :shock: I'd better put a whole stone on in the next 4 weeks then!!

I haven't been sick yet (believe me, I am counting my blessings)

But I have had nausea which comes on every two hours, so I am eating to combat it.

I am eating loads of healthy food, but I tend to have big evening meals, something that will have to stop now I think. I can't eat every two hours, and then have a big meal and expect the pounds not to pile on.

I am hoping that my nausea will stop in four weeks so that I can return to eating slightly less frequently than in the last six weeks.

I am exercising well though, so hopefully it is helping. I went on a 30 minute gentle bike ride last week. I know that it isn't highly recommended in case you fall off, but I loved it, every second and I was elated when I got back. (very exhausted the next day though)

If I can't control my food, then the least I can do is make sure I keep my fitness up (within limitations of course)

Hello

Well I've had the worst morning sickness ever and am the size of a truck. No idea what I weigh but my husband compares it to a small buffulo sitting down when I sit on his lap. tee hee.
Had to buy big trousers this week - hurray!

Louise

Hi!
I am 14 weeks and I have put 3.5 kgs ( is it 7 pounds?) In England, they say you should put on weight between 2 and 4 pounds the first trimester but in France ( where I come from) they say you should put on weight 1 kg ( 2 pounds?) per month. So the french way, i have not put too much weight while the english one, i have. So ladies, it all depends on countries as you can see so chose the one that suits you the best :wink: !!!

im 14 weeks and haven't even put on 1 pound, and i haven't been sick so thats not why, should i be worried? although i am starting to get a belly now x

Well i weighed myself on saturday morning and the three pounds that I originally gained were just bloating after all! I currently haven't put any weight on at all.

The midwife said not to worry though, as the weight you gain, bares no resemblance to the health of the baby.

I suppose if I am very worried I could always eat a stuffed crust pizza. :wink: just kidding of course. I don't think I could digest it at the moment.

I didn't gain any weight during my second pregnancy. I had a glucose intolerance in my first, so as soon as I found out with number 2 I had to drop the sugar out of my diet. This resulted in me effetively loosing a lot of weight! I was lighter after I gave birth than I was before I got pregnant. Unfortunately it didn't take me long once he was born to pile it all back on again!

I have just lost 2 stone before I found out I was pregnant, through hard work and careful eating. I am not being so careful with the eating now (though still watching the sugar!) as I am eating to combat the queasiness and am not working so hard on my exercise (the will is there, the energy isn't!) so I have noticed I have gone a bit flabby again. After throwing out all my big clothes I want them back now as I can't stand anything too tight around my belly! When I weighed myself the other day I had only put on a few pounds, here's hoping I can keep it to a minimum!

Hi Sunshine

When I was at your stage (two weeks ago) I was hideously bloated and couldn't stand to wear my normal trousers eiher.

Howver, now the bloating seems to have gone down and I am wearing my trousers again. It went all of a sudden on saturday morning. I got out of bed and caught a glimpse of my tummy in the mirror and it definitely looked a lot less bloated. :D :D So in an excitable state I launched on the scales and the three pounds that I had mysteriously gained had gone.

Wierd!

I have mixed feelings about it though, as I know I am supposed to gain proper baby weight at some stage and didn't expect the scales to go down. I was quite happy to think that I had already grown a baby belly. I don't look pregnant now. :cry: I certainly feel it though! I am exhausted again today.

Well I have a baby belly and had put on approx 4lb, then I weighed myself before I had a bath earlier and am back to what I was. Guess it's cos I am not eating as much bad stuff because of the nausea and becuse I just don't fancy a lot of foods anymore.

My appetite is very strange.

I am having to eat every two hours to stop myself feeling sick, but when it comes to my evening meal, I am so exhausted I can only get a third of it down! So not like me! I then treat myself to a packet of hula hoops in the evening to stop the inevitable nausea that comes back again.

I don't mean to sound like I'm moaning, but I am secretly hoping that this strangeness ends at 12 weeks and I can eat the way I used to again.

But until then I plod on.

Strangely I am able to cook the meal OK, but when I sit down to eat it, I find the whole eating thing quite daunting and it takes me forever to eat. Oh well, its a learning curve in the strange world of pregnancy!

Eek!!!

I weighed myself yesterday at 22 & 1/2 weeks and I've gained over 1.5 stone already! AND I had really bad nausea for the first 17 weeks (but found snacking on high carb foods actually helped!).

But I was a smoker and a little underweight before I fell pregnant. I gave up smoking as a NY resolution and am sure I gained 1/2 a stone just from snacking and from slower metabolism etc as a result of that.

Had second scan yesterday and baby is fine - right size etc, so I'm not worrying just yet!!!

LB

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back