at my witts end....please help

rhian85

Reaction score
okay Christopher was a big baby, almost 11lbs but had reflux from a few weeks old so the whole feeding mission has been a nightmare. he is now 17months and has only just stopped suffering badley with relux..he has poor weight gain and i know he is under weight but i just cant get him to eat.. :cry:

i think the whole reflux thing has made him "scared" of food..every meal is a nightmare he will just play with food and not eat apart from a few mouthfulls then we have tantrums :cry:

i need to get him eating as im worried he is not eating anythin near wht he should be doing..he is stil having trouble with finger food as 8/10 he will gagg and/or choke so as u can see im in a pickle here

but i need to get him eating and fast as we are back with the consultant next month and he wants weight gain..and im worried hes lost not gained :cry:

how can i get this child to eat?? and what do i give him that wont cause him to gag or choke..cuz as soon as this happens he will refuse food all together :wall: :wall: :wall:

please please help me here

I'm sorry i don't have any answers for you but just wanted to give you these :hug: :hug: :hug: it sounds like your having a nightmare with it hope someone can help xx

Oh dear Twinny.
Have you tried well-cooked vegetables like sweetcorn, peas, tiny chopped up bits of carrot, broccoli??? Tom loves them and they're so soft that they won't choke on them. He loves the different colours. Also keep giving what you're giving him but maybe chop up even smaller.
Every time he eats a mouthful give him loads of praise. When he won't eat, ignore it and when it's clear he wont' have any more, take him out of his highchair, put him down and don't feed him again until the next meal-time. That's Supernanny tactics but it always seemed to work for her!
:hug: :hug: :hug: Lxx :hug: :hug:

TALK TO YOUR HV.. THEY MAY HAVE SEEN this b4.. asnd haVE ADVISE. XX

lisa&alex said:
TALK TO YOUR HV.. THEY MAY HAVE SEEN this b4.. asnd haVE ADVISE. XX

health visitor is a nightmare..i have spoken to her about this on 2 occassions and all she did was get a poster out and show me "what he should be eating at his age" :wall: well yes..if i he was eating what he "should" be i wouldnt of gone to her to ask for advise :wall: :wall: :wall:

so have lost ll hope in her as she is plain right usless..i mean the woman couldnt even get his name right she was callin him Christian....urmm nooooo its Christopher love :roll:

was just hopin someone on here has had a very fussy eater and can give advise :think: :think: :think:

I can't offer any advice myself but there is a programme on next week which may be of interest to you, it's "My Child Won't Eat" - on ITV, Monday 16th June at 9pm. Perhaps they will offer some help and advice for parents in this situation.

Good luck and best wishes.

sunnyday said:
I can't offer any advice myself but there is a programme on next week which may be of interest to you, it's "My Child Won't Eat" - on ITV, Monday 16th June at 9pm. Perhaps they will offer some help and advice for parents in this situation.

Good luck and best wishes.

ohh yes i saw that advertised....thanks will be watching that :)

I have no experience of this and I don't know what or how much a 17 month old should be eating, but I wonder if those things that look like mesh dummies that you can put food on would work?
http://www.munchkin.com/products/detail.html?pID=37
I think they are aimed at younger babies but that way it would be mostly taste to begin with and he might be OK with that. Or freezing a banana so again it's mostly taste and it would be something he is taking out of his mouth and maybe less intimidating?
Good luck!
:hug:

the relfux aside, this is the age when they are going to start being picky with food. At that age both mines would go days without really eating anything.

Your problem sounds a bit more than a picky baby. If he is scared to eat because it might hurt him then thats understandable, none of us would do anything that would cause us pain.

I think the doc will need to refer him to see someone to help him get over the fear.

I can honestly say mines were very very fussy and I dreaded meal times (with Joe I still do but he isnt just as bad). I stopped getting so annoyed at meal times though, they either ate it or didnt, no fuss. I think they liked seeing me annoyed about it, little monkeys.

lauramumof2 said:
the relfux aside, this is the age when they are going to start being picky with food. At that age both mines would go days without really eating anything.

Your problem sounds a bit more than a picky baby. If he is scared to eat because it might hurt him then thats understandable, none of us would do anything that would cause us pain.

I think the doc will need to refer him to see someone to help him get over the fear.

I can honestly say mines were very very fussy and I dreaded meal times (with Joe I still do but he isnt just as bad). I stopped getting so annoyed at meal times though, they either ate it or didnt, no fuss. I think they liked seeing me annoyed about it, little monkeys.

THANKS HUN....i think the actuall "fear of food" is begining to pass he has been on some medication for a few months that has helped SO much we now no longer have episodes of screaming due to the acid..but i think now he has to re-build his confidence with food he is no where as bad as he used to be. but i just need to help him get back on track. i mean hes not too bad as for breckie he can demolish 2 weetabix and a yougurt.

thanks for ur advice tho hun...i think ill ask the consultant if there is anybody who we can see who can help with the confidence side of thigs....thanks again :hug: :hug: :hug:

lauramumof2 said:

THANKS HUN....i think the actuall "fear of food" is begining to pass he has been on some medication for a few months that has helped SO much we now no longer have episodes of screaming due to the acid..but i think now he has to re-build his confidence with food he is no where as bad as he used to be. but i just need to help him get back on track. i mean hes not too bad as for breckie he can demolish 2 weetabix and a yougurt.

thanks for ur advice tho hun...i think ill ask the consultant if there is anybody who we can see who can help with the confidence side of thigs....thanks again :hug: :hug: :hug:

lauramumof2 said:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mara14
Back