Aspirin in pregnancy

helenmelon5

Reaction score
HI

I have followed this forum through my pregnancy and really enjoy keeping informed about my pregnancy although I have only posted a few times. .

I am 38 weeks pregnant with my fourth. ( due on 3rd August ) I was consultant led initially due to my age ( 42) and the fact I had pre-eclampsia on labour onset with my first.

At 14 weeks I was prescribed a low dose Aspirin ( 75mg) to keep BP down due to the two above risks but released from consultant care as I they had no other concerns.

My consultant advised me to continue till birth.

My BP has been fine and I have a very smooth and uneventful healthy pregnancy for which I am most grateful.

Now I am so far along I am wondering ( on multitudes of googling and finding a lot of those prescribed aspirin were advised to stop at 36 weeks ) whether I should stop the aspirin before delivery - worried about bleeding more in delivery, delayed labour and other complications this may cause. Read many are advised to stop at 36 weeks.

Does anyone have any experience of taking aspirin during pregnancy - wondering when you were advised to stop?

I talked to my midwife about it and she said I should continue till birth but just curious.

Thanks for any feedback in advance.

Helen x

I've been advised to continue until birth, I'm 42 like yourself and on it for that reason x

Thank you so much for replying SCN. That makes me feel much more reassured.

I think I'm so elated to get so far along - as I near the end I have to worry about something .

I am at a very good hospital who has an excellent Fetal Medicine Centre so I know I am in safe hands with advice but its very reassuring to know you are the same.

Wish you well with your pregnancy - not long now :)

Helen xx

My perinatologist said the dosage is so low that it wouldn't have a big effect on bleeding and to continue until birth. Congratulations you are full term yay!

I am also on it for my BMI, been told to take it until the day this big boy comes out... not been advised on any side effects during labour, so assume what Toni has said is correct, that it wouldn't have a big effect.

Well done on getting to term, countdown to Friday for me!

I'm only on my first pregnancy past six weeks but with high BMI and unexplained previous early losses so they advised up to 34 weeks for my 75mg aspirin. I see consultant again this Friday and will check with them again about that for me as I'll be 33+2 by then.

Thanks Ladies.

Feeling more calm about it all now - its great to know others are the same. Must learn to step away from Google. . I am so excited to be full term.

I suppose it varies pregnancy to pregnancy as to when it stops being taken. I think it was because I was released from consultant care right at the start I don't have that facility to talk to them about my questions.

Now my other children have finished school and my youngest birthday party is out of the way I can finally relax and wait for baby.

Good luck to everyone on the labour countdown - exciting times for all :) xx

I have taken aspirin 75mg in my last 2 pregnancies and took them till birth, my most recent birth wing 2 weeks ago and everything was fine. I was just advised not to take it once my contractions had started x

Thank you First Baby White that is so helpful and really appreciate the feedback .

Congratulations on your little one.

Helen x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back