Appointment with Midwife

allycat

Reaction score
Hey guys! :wave:

I have an appointment with the midwife tomorrow and it's my 1st one. I'm a little nervous as I don't know what happens...all I know is I need to take a wee sample with me. When would you say is the best time to do this? What does the MW do on the 1st appointment? I'm worried she'll find loads of things wrong! :wall:

As long as the sample is fairly recent it will be fine.
Not a lot exciting happens MW will ask lots about you , your medical history, any relevant family hstory. She will take bloods etc and your blood pressure.
She will probably talk to you about scans and other screening tests available to you and maybe even book your dating scan!
At the end of it you will more than likely get given lots of info to take home and look through.
Mine lasted about an hour and it's a nice chance to meet your MW and ask questions. It's normal to be nervous but nothing to worry about honestly.
hope that helps

Thanks for the reply, that helps a lot! I didn't realise the appointments are so long! :D This is my 1st pregnancy and I'm not dealing with it very well as me and my bloke haven't been together long and our new flat is halfway through being decorated and has virtually no furniture in it! Also have to deal with my bloke's son staying with us every weekend and he's already jealous of the baby coming along..! Happy days :wink:

sounds stressful, I had to set up home when I was having my first and it was a nightmare! I'm sure you will have everything ready in plenty time for the big day.
I think it's just th booking appointment thats so long as theres lots of paperwork.
I'm sure your OH's son will come round eventually. I've dealt with the jealous sibling thing before and they do come round.

I really hope he does come round...thing that's hard is he only sees his dad weekends and seems to think that 'cause the baby will live with him all the time it will get more attention and more money spent on it etc.

As for the flat I'm sitting on deck chairs at the moment...not comfy at all! :wink:

:hug: Don't worry you will be fine tomorrow, and you will enjoy the appointment!
I had my first midwife appointment today, she's such a nice lady, and when she said 'I'm going to look after you', I felt so touched. :D My appointment was at home, and it took 90 minutes. She took 4 tubes of blood and a bottle of urine sample. She asked many questions, and answered my questions (I prepared a list) patiently. So do take this chance to ask anything you are not sure or worried about. I was also given a thick book about pregnancy and a lot of leaflets. She says I will be getting a 'Mother To Be' bag at my first scan with lots of samples, sounds exciting!

Hope all goes well, keep us posted. :cheer: :cheer:

I have mine on monday, really excited!!! Need to convince my MW to get my dating scan booked in by my original dates but not sure how willing she will be to do this!

Let us know how it goes and enjoy :hug:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back