First appointment tomorrow

Rachel

Reaction score
Hi, I have got my 1st appointment tomorrow with midwife, she is coming round to my house and im really nervous because I dont know what to expect.
What will she ask/say to me? Will she take a blood sample tomorrow or will she do it another time in the hospital? Also I have heard that they look in everyroom of your house to see if its suitable for baby, is this true?
Sorry about all the questions, its my 1st pregnancy and im well nervous about tomorrow lol.
Rachel xx

Hiya,

Firstly try to relax - you will raise your BP if you worry too much!

I cannot say exactly what will happen but i can explain how it worked for me.
I have booking in appt at 12 weeks at home. The MW came to my home and sat down to fill in a hefty book full of questions. These are nothing to worry about and it's more like an informal chat about you and your oh's medical history, allergies etc - they will also ask about multiple births in your family and any complications that may have arisen.

Then you will go through the usual, weight height age smoker etc

It differs from area to area but i didnt have my bloods done at home - i had them done at the doctors at 16 weeks

Allow yourself to get excited! It's the first time you get to talk about your baby without feeeling like your going on and on..it's great!!

If you are really lucky the MW may try to find the heartbeat with a doppler, mine did at 12 weeks but not all do as it can be difficult to locate (that DOES NOT mean there is not one there!)

Enjoy and good luck - look forward to hearing all about it!

xxxxxx

Hiya,

I first saw a maternity nurse at my doctors surgery and she took a few details down and told me what to expect when I saw my actual midwife and gave me the numbers for who I need to seeetc and told me to make an appointment when I was 10 weeks for a blood test, which I had done at my local hospital. I took my hubby along & i'm glad I did coz I just couldn't remember everything she said!
I then saw my actual m/w at 12 weeks (the same day I had my scan) like Jessika said she asked me all sorts of questions about my health/families health/allergies/where i'd like the birth etc. It was very informal, she also gave me loads of stuff to read.
She also tried to listen to Minni (what we call the babe!!) but couldn't detect a hearbeat at that stage as she/he was too low down.

Everything will be fine and don't get nervous, it is exciting and does make it seem more real. I wrote down questions too as I knew i'd forget them when I saw her.

Let us know how it goes.

Nicki.x :D

I have just had 1st appointment, midwife just left now. Not as bad as i thought it would be, just asked a few questions and i got to listen to my babys heartbeat :D :D :D.
She tried taking my bloods aswell but couldnt do it so ive got to go to the hospital later so they can do it.
Shes given me loads of info to read. She said I should get an appointment through in the next 2 weeks for my scan :D.
Rachel xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lauramayne90
Back