Anyone not had jabs?

millie15

Reaction score
A few of my friends and relatives are suggesting that I wait until Niamh is older to get her jabs done, and some of them are suggesting not having them at all due to the fact that the illnesses are 'almost eradicated in our society' (although I question this) and that it is too much for her tiny system to handle. Is this an option? Is it sensible? I can't bear the thought of her having 5 illnesses in one jab and then another on top but I also feel a sense of social responsibility to have them done. I hate the way the NHS is so underfunded that we are not given a choice re: jabs. Apparently in France you can choose to have the injections separately but here that's not an option. I do feel it's a bit of a catch 22 situation. What should I do?

In the current jabs the combined doses are small enough for a baby's immune system to deal with and I absolutely think that the jabs are 100% important. I feel that the risk of actually contracting these illnesses is potentially worse. When my sis was a baby the meningitis jab wasn't available and she had meningitis at 3 months old that nearly killed her. A few months later she then contracted mumps and lost her hearing...so in answer to your question I personally feel that the jabs are very important. Yes it is true that some illnesses are less rife but it does not mean they don't exist. The reasoning for the jabs are to keep these illnesses from becoming prevalent again and that why they are so important.

I think a lot of people don't realise the seriousness of some illnesses e.g. meningitus and mumps. These conditions can cause long term effects e.g. deafness etc or potentially death.

If you are very concerned it is possible to have the jabs separately if you are willing to pay privately. I understand your concerns as I also put a lot of thought into it and in the end decided that the potential health risks associated with these illnesses were too worrying not to take precautions against. It is of course a personal decision and you need to do what you feel is best for your child.

The reason that these illnesses seem 'almost eradicated in our society' is because most babies have these immunisations!
To me, they are very important too!
I also agree that the potenial dangers of the diseases far out weight the moments of pain the babies feel when they have the needles!

lea m said:
The reason that these illnesses seem 'almost eradicated in our society' is because most babies have these immunisations!
To me, they are very important too!
I also agree that the potenial dangers of the diseases far out weight the moments of pain the babies feel when they have the needles!

:clap: I agree!

I would much rather give the jabs, for those few days he might be a bit offcolour and whingey than him actually contracting one of these horrible diseases they protect against. So I will be getting him the jabs really without a second thought.

I'd ask your family and relatives what they are basing their opinions on. There is alot of information you can read on the internet about vaccines so I'd say read up and make up your own mind :D This is exactly what I did before deciding on the MMR.

My doctor told me that the "government" were not bringing out a seperate mumps vaccine and this is not common knowledge apparantly :think:
We went with the MMR as I also believe that its important x

.Christina. said:
I would much rather give the jabs, for those few days he might be a bit offcolour and whingey than him actually contracting one of these horrible diseases they protect against. So I will be getting him the jabs really without a second thought.

me too....I would never forgive myself if Violet contracted one of these diseases because i didn't get her vaccinated. She was only a bit whingy for a couple of hours at the most.

i completely agree with everyone's comments. India had a pretty nasty fever after her second lot, but liturally lasted a day! a baby in our neibourhood just died, which could have been prevented, as the mother was being warned that the MMR could cause autism. which has now been medically proven that it doesnt. there is a huge measels out break in florida too due to not geting vaccines.

I agree too, LO never had any reaction to her jabs. They are unpleasant and can have some side effects, but think of the illnesses that LO could get if not immunised. The jabs are dosed correctly so that it isn't too much for their system to handle - think of how many babies have them every day without problems.

You can have the jabs done separately if you go private, but having read up on this, it is a much riskier choice than the combined ones. For example, the separate MMR jabs are not licensed in the UK and have not passed safety and effectiveness testing and there is a much higher risk of an anaphalactic (sp) reaction to the single MMR vaccines. Plus, if you have them done seperately they have to have WAY more jabs done than if you do combined.

We were going to have MMR separately, but having read up on it LO will have the jab.

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies everyone.
You all pretty much echo what I was thinking instinctively but there were people making me feel guilty about giving her the jabs. :( I think I would feel way more guilty if she were to get one of the illnesses the jabs protect against, wouldn't I??? :shock:
It also makes me feel a bit ungrateful if I didn't take advantage of having the jabs, we are lucky in this country to get these things on the NHS as many other countries don't. However, I still do feel that it would be better to be given more of a choice and for there to be more information out there about the injections. So I will be getting the jabs. I do still wonder whether it would make a difference to wait a few months however?

millie15 said:
I do still wonder whether it would make a difference to wait a few months however?

Totally your choice but I feel that the risk associated with these illnesses at such a young age and with such an undeveloped immune system is far worse. Like I said above my sis contracted meningitis at 3 months old (in the days before the vaccine was introduced) and consequently nearly died (she spent 3 months in Great Ormond Street) and unfortunately lost her hearing. Also she was pumped so full of anti-biotics to try and fend off the infection that it totally wiped out her immune system and now at 25 yrs old she suffers constantly from colds, sinusitis, infections etc. I feel that the younger they can have these innoculations the better as the quicker they are protected.

You need to do what you feel is right for your child.

If everyone thought like your family these illnesses would all come back! It makes sense that everyone gets vaccinated to protect the most vunerable in society who aren't able to get vaccinated because of their age or an illness.

It is not pleasant getting them vaccinated though, after Logans jabs I did question whether I'd done the right thing because he was unwell after each vaccination and his eczema flared up. I'm glad I didin the end though as it was only a few days of feeling rubbish out of his whole life and it might save his life one day.

You must make the decision for yourself though :hug:

I agree with you rather than your family. The only jabs im concerned about is the MMR and that purely cos of what was in the press about autism and Inflammatory bowel disease (i have crohns) I will be looking into it nearer the time and may opt to pay for the jabs seperately if i can.

Claire x

nori said:
I agree with you rather than your family. The only jabs im concerned about is the MMR and that purely cos of what was in the press about autism and Inflammatory bowel disease (i have crohns) I will be looking into it nearer the time and may opt to pay for the jabs seperately if i can.

Claire x

This has been discredited, Claire. Andrew Wakefield actually faced displinary procedures for professional misconduct regarding the false claims, both about autism and bowel disease.

Have a read on Badscience.net, there is a lot of background and information given to the MMR hoax

Heard that jabs contain weird stuff like mercury, etc. We gave the best to our baby during pregnancy by refraining from drugs, alcohol etc but yet when baby comes out we inject weird stuff right away.

Heard that jabs contain weird stuff like mercury, etc. We gave the best to our baby during pregnancy by refraining from drugs, alcohol etc but yet when baby comes out we inject weird stuff right away.

Thermisol is an organomercury that turns to ethylmercury in your body. It doesn't stay there and is excreted within days. Many vaccines don't have it anymore, but when it was used, it was a great thing as it kept vaccines from being compromised while maintaining strength. Methylmercury accumulates in the body and stays there. The accumulation is what causes the damage in humans and even if ethylmercury stayed in the body, the amount in vaccines is so minute that it wouldn't have any affect.

Then again I read that vaccination is not a sure thing. It could have a side effect not wanted although chances is very slim.

Just about everything has potential unwanted side-effects. It's important to remember that the only reason we think of these childhood illnesses as relatively minor is because of vaccination - and the more people who opt out of having the jabs the greater the risks become.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lauramayne90
Back