Anyone know anything about Double Barrel Surnames?

pigletpoo

Reaction score
If you are not married and want to give your baby a double barrell surname, can you decide to "drop" one of the names at a later date? Or just not use it? and if so, does it mater which name you drop - or is it the last one that has to go?

Any info, or ideas where I could get info would be apprecited.

Thanks

piglet xx

My cousin's little boy has a double barrelled surname, and generally on his school paintings etc they'll put the initials rather than both names, or just the LAST name. I don't know about dropping one, if it's on his birth certificate it is his name, but in daily life I think generally just the last surname is used to save time, ink :lol:

pigletpoo said:
If you are not married and want to give your baby a double barrell surname, can you decide to "drop" one of the names at a later date? Or just not use it? and if so, does it mater which name you drop - or is it the last one that has to go?

Any info, or ideas where I could get info would be apprecited.

Thanks

piglet xx

when you go to register the baby you can add a double barreled name. You cannot add it after registering them though.
You can drop either of the names at any time. except in official documents.

hope that helps.

Thanks guys.

I'm just thinking if things don't work out in the future with me and OH, I dont want my child having a different surname to me.

Apparently I could only change his name by deed pole with written consent of his dad too - which I know he would never give. So I think the only way is to stick with my name until a time we are married, or a double barrel option.

Thanks again.

Piglet xx

Hayden has both mine and his dads name..
even though we're not together anymore i've kept them
both.

my kids have both got double barrelled sir names and we have just got married and me and my husband have double barrelled our to so we r all the same now :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mara14
Back