• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Anyone else on ranitidine for heartburn?

CorrieFan

Reaction score
I woke up half an hour ago with heartburn. Drank half a pint of milk which soothed it, but now it is coming back again. :evil: And i have no more milk until about half four when the milkman comes. So I suppose it is pill popping time.

I mentioned to my consultant that I was suffering with it as I hoped he would prescribe me some Gaviscon but instead he prescribed Ranitidine tablets. They haven't officially been sanctioned for use in pregnancy but he said they would be fine. I feel a bit weird taking medication though. Is anyone else on these tabs?

And does anyone have any magic remedies for when heartburn wakes you up in the middle of the night and you're out of milk?

Cheers girls. (Gives Painful Burp) sigh.

CorrieFan said:
Cheers girls. (Gives Painful Burp) sigh.

:rotfl: :oops: Sorry - but that was funny!!

Hmmm I don't know because I'm not a huge sufferer... But Gaviscon liquid always worked best for me around 25 weeks when I got it. It would work almost immediately and not come back for a few days... Tastes foul though :puke:

Sorry I'm not much help :( :hug: xxx

Rennies Tablets are my saviour for heartburn. I've had it the whole way through and they always stop immediately after taking them (take two at a time)

Oooh and I did read that milk doesn't help it, can make it worse, even though I always felt like milk before starting on the Rennies!

Cold water may help. I have had killer heartburn and having been drinking bucketloads of gaviscon. Chewable rennies are okay as well. Also elevating the head/chest area is supposed to help.

I've never heard of the tablets though so can't advise you on those.

I was advised by my hospital day care MW to ask my consultant for these as she saw how much misery i was in whilst unable to swig gaviscon at my GTT. Ididnt bother but wish I had now so thinking of asking next week at my next consultant appointment.

Please let me know how they work for you.

HideiLu said:
Oooh and I did read that milk doesn't help it, can make it worse, even though I always felt like milk before starting on the Rennies!

I'm not pregnant but after having Hayden i've got really bad acid reflux- i get really bad pain in my back and vomit
(lovely) acid its so horrid- my doctor told me milk makes it worse!! i used to drink pints of milk thinking it was really good for it..once i was so desperate i ate all Haydens petit filous' cos i had no milk!! lol
but i take omeprazole for it now and still get it that Ranitidine is really good as sometimes gaviscon doesn't help me when its really bad but that always does..and i take parecetomol too to take the burning pain away!

Well that is so interesting that milk can aggravate heartburn - I've clearly been doing exactly the wrong thing! I had been using chewable rennies as well but was going through so many of them, and they would only help for about 10 minutes.

I ended up taking a renitidine last night/this morning and it worked pretty much immediately. Anyone who is really suffering, I would recommend asking for these. Apparently GPs might be nervous prescribing them as they aren't officially sanctioned for use in pregnancy but consultants know they are fine. The pills work by stopping your stomach making the acid in the first place so they prevent all symptoms. My consultant said take two a day but I'm only taking them when I really need them. And I might need them a bit less if I stop medicating myself with milk! :)

Thanks for the sympathy & advice ladies (and glad I made you giggle Danni!)

i was on it for 4 months , i had severed acid reflux and would throw my dinner up while eating :puke: , milk made me sick , gaviscon was too salty for first tri ( and i gagged drinking / swallowing it ) so i was on rantadine , after about 4 months its got bit better so was just on gaviscon !

when i was in the hospital with hyperemesis i was given ranitidine. first by iv then orally.

it really helped. i really should get a prescription for it now cause im suffering from heartburn pretty bad at the moment.

makes me want to be sick! ice helps though! lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AnastasiaKh
Back