Anyone else had to do this?

Lindsay

Reaction score
A reading in a church?

I have been asked to read at our friends wedding on Friday and I am bricking it, I am so nervous :(

DH is best man and I know that they are being thoughtful by including me but I am so scared about it, everytime I think about it I get butterflies in my tummy. The only good thing is, they are having 1 reading and it is shared between me and another guy. I have timed my section and it only takes me 44 seconds to read but it is going to be awful reading it in a church full of people. I am tempted to have a glass of wine before I start!!

Anyone else had to do anything similar?

Xxx

I know exactly how you feel, I am exactly the same. I hate standing up and talking to a group of friends, let alone strangers.

I used to have to give presentations at work, which was a nightmare. My tip is to control your breathing and DON'T RACE through it, even if you are tempted. Stop and pause, focus on the breathing, and smile.

It's useful to pick one face in the crowd and focus on that (I would recommend the bride, as you know her so well) Remember she is more nervous than you are, and it's her you're doing it for.

Put the reading in front of you and rest your hands on the table. There's nothing worse than shaking hands.

Sure, have a glass of wine if it helps you to relax, just remember not to overdo it or you'll trip on the words!

Good luck! :hug: :hug:

I did. I just focused on the bride & groom. Good luck.

I had to read at a wedding and I was petrified. I worried about speaking into the microphone and standing on the little box (I'm quite small!). Anyway, all I could focus on was the word 'love'. I'm from the north east originally and the way I was saying it sounded so harsh! I tried to soften it but my DH said it sounded stupid so I just said it as I normally would. Just take deep breaths and go slowly - you'll be fine! :D
ps I did have a gin and tonic before hand!

I'm from the North East too and so know what you mean :)

Oh dear, another day is nearly over, it's getting closer and closer :(

Xxx

You'll be fine - just think of the party afterwards :dance: (you'll have everyone coming over to you and telling you what a lovely reading that was after the ceremony :D )

Only time I ever did that in a Church was at my Grandad's funeral. :?

I did readings but only for church services. Try to just focus on something that isn't a face, if you can see individual faces it's offputting I find, but if you look at the people as a crowd instead of individuals, or focus on the flowers in the church you'll be fine. x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ARCHIATER
Back