Anyone clued up on benefits??.....

bute69

Reaction score
Just wondered if anyone here knew about what benefits I'd be entitled to and how to go about it. I'm self employed with a very low income due to the recession. My partner is on training allowance from the job centre. He was on job seekers allowance,(lost his job 1 Week before Xmas), but has now gone on a HGV taining coarse run by the job centre, so now they call it training allowance. A pittance they pay every fortnight. We live on my parents property in a caravan which just isn't practicle when baby arrives. Want to get on a housing list, but they say I'm not priority,as not actualy homeless. Wanted to get income support, but they're about as helpful as a hole in the head. Would it be easier for my OH to make a claim? Would he get on better, as he's not employed, but on a training coarse run by job centre?? Any advice appreciated!

You may be entitled to Maternity Allowance if you've worked 26 weeks out of the last 66 weeks - they can pay you that from 29 weeks pregnant for 39 weeks. Depending on hours worked etc you could be entitled to Working Tax Credit and Child Tax Credit once baby arrives. You will also get about £20pw Child benefit once baby is born. Hope that helps a little, use this benefits calculator and it should tell you what you could get:

http://www.turn2us.org.uk/benefits_search.aspx

To get on the housing system you will have to say you've been kicked off your parents property and they will have to house you whether it's in a b and b for a bit. Until baby arrives.

Not really really clued up but yes, you should get OH to claim income support because he is actually a jobseeker so you are more than entitled to that. You will then be eligible for more benefits. One of them being a sure start maternity grant which pays £500 for helping with baby items. You can claim before baby comes but need to do it within 3 months after baby is born, your midwife should be able to get the forms for you. Good luck xx

Have you tired working tax credit seeing as your on a low income and so is your OH worth a shot, i applied a month ago and they pay me £50 a week from january til april then it will change with the tax year x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back