Anybody know about cats? **little update page 2**

lou said:
Kylie1007 said:
I don't know but if someone can tell me how to get my cat to stop peeing on the coconut mat in our hall, I'd be v interested to know! I think he's marking his territory as it's right next to the clear front door.
:wall: :wall: :wall:

Have you tried Urine Off - you can only buy it online and breaks down the urine crystals - not v effective on a coconut mat though. I put tin foil down and that deters him.

My mum used to feed the foxes outside her house and they started peeing and poohing on her coir door mat so I reckon its a territorial thing with your cat. My mum still feeds them but puts the food on a grass verge up the street now and the peeing has stopped. I think Betterware or Kleeneze sell stuff to stop cats peeing. I use their spider stop spray. I rang them to make sure it was safe to use with Isaac and they said yes but I'm not sure about the cat stuff, you'd need to ask.

You can't believe how much I dislike scrubbing cat pee off the mat every other day :evil:
I'll take a look at Kleeneze or Betterware - prob cheaper than Urine Off - think it was £12.99 a spray bottle.

First of all you should get him checked out at the vets, make sure he doesn't have a urinary infection or the like :D

It does sound from your description that its more behavioural. If hes reluctant to go out much or use the catflap there is a possiblilty hes being bullied by some other local cats :cry: thats why hes spraying inside, hes marking his territory as if to say to the other cats "don't come in here" (even if they don't!) I would try closing the catflap off completely, and just let him in and out via the door/ window. It will mean that when hes inside he should become more relaxed that no other cat is going to come in and beat him up so he hopefully won't feel the need to spray and mark his territory. You should provide a litter tray so he has somewhere to wee if he needs to (you might find he doesn't need to use it - my cat doesn't have a catflap or littertray, just throws herself at the front door when she wants to come in :lol: )

You'll need to really clean the areas where he has sprayed (not suggesting you wouldn't :D ) as once theres a scent there he is more likely to spray in the same area again. Once you have cleaned I suggest making up a really dilute solution of tea tree oil or eucalyptus oil and dab the area he has weed, cats hate the smell (its too strong for their sensitive little noses) so will keep him away from returning to the spot for more wees :D :D

I hope this helps and you get him sorted, let us know how you go :hug:

I know links aren't really allowed, but it's not a baby related thing. We used fabcats.org when our kitty was weeing on our bed! Not nice, the vet recommended that site to us.

I took my cat to the vet today and he was given a clean bill of health so it is a behavioural thing. We just have to keep on with the feliway and lots of love to make him feel happy and secure. We now have a litter tray too

Thanks for all of your help and advice everyone :hug:

My sister's cat did this, when they lived in her old house. It was determined that it was due to the catflap. Another cat used to poke it's head in and made poor Toby insecure so he would spray to mark his home i guess.
Anyway, my sister moved and her new house doesn't have a catflap - and Toby hasn't peed either.
I wonder if your cat has seen or can smell other cats coming near or even in the catflap?

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back