any nurses or anybody who understand blood sugar *UPDATED*

rhian85

Reaction score
My father in law is a reg nurse only he is now a manger of aprivate psyhciatric unit but he also montiors blood sugar/blood pressure of inpatients..he came over the other night to see LO and i told him i had been gettin poundin headaches,weeing a bit more and feeling a bit "odd" he told me to walk over to their house so he could do my BP and blood sugar. BP was ok but he pricked my thumb and waited for the reading. His face was like :shock: and asked me what i had been eating (cereal 4 breakie, cereal for dinner both with no sugar in them and nothin else allday) blood was tested at 6.30 and we were not having tea till around 8 but my reading was 13.5 :shock: :shock: :shock:

surley as i had not eaten since lunch it should be way lower than that ? he has given me the blood glucose machine and told me to watch it carefully.

this mornings was 6.7 after not eating since last night at 8pm that still seems high to me considering fasting level should be around 4.0

any of u on here know more about this ? should i be worried ? what could be causing this ?

UPDATE:
SAW DOCTOR ON MONDAY AND HAD SUGAR IN URINE AND A BLOOD GLUCOSE OF 7.9 SHE SAID THAT WAS HIGH AS I HAD NOT EATED FOR 3 HOURS SO IT SHOULD BE AROUND 4. SHE HAS SENT ME FOR URGENT FASTIN BLOOD GLUCOSE TEST (HAD THAT TODAY - RESULTS IN 3 DAYS) AND ALSO HAVE TO GO FOR A GTT (GLUCOSE TOLERANCE TEST ) UNTIL THEN IF I SEE MY BLOOD SUGAR GO ABOVE 19.0 I HAV ETO GO TO A&E. :shock:
HIGHEST READIN I HAVE HAD SO FAR IS 15.2.
BUT IT DOESNT LOOK VERY GOOD :cry:

The reading of 13.5 would worry me that is quite high I don't think 6.7 is too bad although if you hadn't eaten as you say it is a bit above the fasting level the worry is diabetes I would keep a record of all tests you do what time you did them and what you had to eat before hand and go to your doctor explain your symptoms, show them the results and ask them to do a blood test for diabetes, hopefully all will be ok but even if it is diabetes it isn't as serious as it used to be they can control it really well nowadays and catching it early will help. I hope I don't worry you more then you already I have two sisters and a brother with type 1 diabetes so have seen it diagnosed a few times before and do regular blood tests to check myself as Im still at risk of getting it before I'm 30, how old are you if you don't mind me asking? Hope everythings ok! :hug: :hug:

thanks i think FIL was a bit shocked to see it at 13.5..this morning i did it before breakfast and it was 6.7 (fasting since 8pm) what should it of been ?
ohh im almost 23 i have heard that if u have had a baby over 9lbs u can increase ur risk of diabetes ??? My LO was just under 11lbs.

im not sure if the symptoms i have are related to diabetis tho ?

weeing more,
poundin headaches every day (while i had a headache my BG was 13.5)
feel odd bit weak/not with it

when should i be idealy tesing my blood ? when and what times of the day ?

thanks for ur help hun - u havdent worried me any more than what im all ready worried so dont panic hun - thanks again :hug: :hug: :hug:

when i worked in the pharmacy hun we were trained that a reading of over 6.1 after 8 hours fasting means that the patient should be referd to the docs for further testing cos it indicates a higher risk of diabetes. 13.5 is very high tbh. When my mums bloody sugar goes too high she gets very irritable, her vision is affected, she gets a headache, goes all hot and feels generally ill.

Id go to the docs hun for more detailed tests, a baby over 9lb does increase your risk, as does an immediate family member having it too and if you have diabetes during pregnancy xxx

THANKS SARAH....when i had a readin of 13.5 i had a pounding headaches, couldnt concentrate, felt hot and like i had a fast pulse.

today my reading have been as below

6.3 @ 8am - nothin all night since 8.30ish last night did this before breakfast

6.7 @ 11am - nothin to eat since breakfast

7.4 @ 2.45pm nothin since havin nunch at 11.30am (just had some cereal)

11.2 @ 8pm - nothin to eat since tea at 4.30pm

are these bad readings then ? :shock: :shock:

Rhian, I would suggest you go to your GP and tell them your symptoms, you'll only worry yourself if you don't and testing your blood sugar four times a day is quite a lot, I know when I had a bp machine at home I got a bit obsessed with taking it. Hopefully all will be well, and if there is anything sinister, they can get you the right treatment :hug:

My OH is diabetic and when he got diagnosed his blood sugar level was 29.5!!! He had gone to the doctors in time, he was so close to going into a coma. After the first week on his new diet he got it down to 15.8. After 4 years it is now 9.5/10 on a daily basis, which still isn't good enough but at least it isn't nearly 30 again!

If you have any worries speak to a doctor.

go to your gp and they will do further tests as your levels are higher then they should be. i had the same as you a while back (weeing more and feeling weak, i always get migraines anyway so that wasnt new) they did blood test on me and said i was pre-diabetic but now i have reversed that by following a diet and excercise routine that they gave me. so i would suggest you get it checked now before it gets worse x x x

_Rosie_ said:
go to your gp and they will do further tests as your levels are higher then they should be. i had the same as you a while back (weeing more and feeling weak, i always get migraines anyway so that wasnt new) they did blood test on me and said i was pre-diabetic but now i have reversed that by following a diet and excercise routine that they gave me. so i would suggest you get it checked now before it gets worse x x x

i get migraines alot was that a symptom of pre-diabetic too..i get a pounding headaches when my blood glucose is over 11.0 but then as that aint normal i guess a poundin headache is my bodys way of tellin me something is wrong..will try and gt in to see the doctor in the morning as i need to go anyway. FIL told me to test blood level after fasting over night and mid day then b4 bed so i have a good amout of levels to show the doctor. my fasting level this morning after not eating since 8pm last night was 7.9

the problem with our doctors is that they are usless they open at 8am u can never get thru til around 9am and then they are "fullybooked" they dont even allow us to pre-book for later in the week :roll: took me 2 weeks to get OH in for his repeat presriptions check. unlesss ur on ur death bed they aint intrested in seeing u :roll:

but do i class this as an emergency if i cant get in ?

Call NHS direct they are there to advise you what consists as an emergency etc and will be able to help you more then we can as they are trained professionals! When my brother became diabetic already having 2 daughters become diabetic my parents knew the signs and took him straight up to the doctors who said he wasnt ill enough to be diabetic and turned them away so they went straight up a&e who admited him diagnosed diabetes and kept him in for a week (as was common practise for children at the time) if your doctors wont listen then find someone who will! :hug:

Yes all your symptoms are possible symptoms of diabetes. I asked your age because I was always told you could get type 1 diabetes until the age of 30 but after 30 type 2 was more common - type 1 is usually controlled by insulin and type 2 by tablets and is age related i.e. as you get older your pancreas is slowing down so doesnt make the insulin you need as efficiently so needs a kick start. It could be that like Rosie you are just pre-diabetic and with a good diet and excercise could kick start your system into working right again this is why getting medical diagnoses and advise asap is important, call NHS direct if nothing else it will help put your mind at rest to be getting medical advise searching the net and asking advice of unqualified people can often cause more worry then comfort! :hug: :hug:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back