Antihistamines/Asthma Inhalers during Pregnancy??

KarolinaMoon

Reaction score
Doctor has given me two asthma inhalers & antihistamines!!! Got sent home from work, and feeling miserable!!!! I'm worried about taking asthma inhalers/antihistamines during pregnancy, though the doctor has told me they are safe to take, but did say she understands if I dont want to take them!!!?? So feel really uneasy about it.....
Anyone here take/taken inhalers and/or antihistamines during pregnancy?

xx

Im taking all 3. I take a reliever inhaler, a preventor inhaler, tablets to control asthma and when really bad, antihistamines. My consultant and midwife said keeping my asthma under control is very important and will have no negative effects on my baby xx
(tri hopping sorry)

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

I was on relievers and preventers until a few weeks ago when my asthma seems to have all but disappeared! Xxxx

Sent from my BlackBerry 9800 using Tapatalk

I've been on preventer inhaler whole pregnancy and reliever occasionally. Better to keep asthma under control. Breathing can b hard enough later in pregnancy as baby gets bigger without adding asthma symptoms into the equation.

I have an inhaler but haven't used it anymore than usual due I being pg. there is no harm to baby through using them.

I had asthma as a child but never bother by it through my teens or my 20s however since falling pregnant I have needed to use both the salbutamol and the becotide (brown) one as I was wheezy as hell. The doc has said being pregnant has flared up asthma which is bummer but said taking the inhalers were fine while pregnant n better to have asthma well controlled than wheezy all the time. Hope this helps n u feel better for taking them xxx

I'm surprised I haven't needed mine! I don't even have slight symptoms anymore. At the start of this pregnancy I was having to use as normal, and actually felt my asthma had gotten worse but now it seems to have eased way off! There's no harm at all to baby so don't worry about that, just get yourself better! Xxxx

My doc also said the reliever is fine to take, but when I asked him recently about taking antihisthamines for hayfever, he said that although there is no evidence to say they are unsafe, there is also little evidence to say they are safe, so he advised me not to take them unless in extreme cases. I suppose with asthma, it is better for it to be under control than to risk a serious attack though.

Because my asthma is caused by allergies sometimes taking an antihistamine is the only thing that improves it.
I think of there was any chance the baby would be affected then the doctor wouldn't prescribe cause we could easily sue. Im on so many meds at the minute I swear I rattle but everything is to ensure Im giving my baby a healthy start xx

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

I thought antihistamines were one of the definite no no's to take when preg....so was suprised when the doc gave them to me. I don't actually have diagnosed asthma, but have always had allergy triggered breathing problems & reactions. Never realised I was this allergic to cats, but I do think pregnancy has made me alot more sensitive!!!

I know how you feel Simone!! I seem to be alot more vulnerable to illness now. Am on antibiotics for a UTI as well !!! But as you say, gotta keep ourselves well for the baby!!! :)

xxx

I've been taking my inhalers with no problems too x

Hey hun, I had to take antihistamines when pregnant with my son, quite a few times and it was fine. My MW also said inhalers are fine, although I haven't needed to use mine since falling pregnant with my son!!!!

I would use them if you need to, I dont have any personal experience but Im sure if the GP says its safe then LO will be fine. Its probably alot safer to take them when needed than to go without and end up having an ashtma attack and put stress on LO x

Funnily enough I was looking up alternatives to antihistamines this morning - and apparently some are safe during pregnancy - I was reading this article if you'd like a peek.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back