Antibiotics & the pill......please help!!!!

pinkagent

Reaction score
Hi, Im on Cilest & have had to take 4 x250mg Pencillin every day for 5 days, I completely forgot about it affecting the pill, I had sex twice last night & it turns out that my ovulation date is today. Does anybody know anyone who has got pregnant while on the pill & taking antibiotics. PLEASE HELP xxx

Hi

Unfortulatly yes i know of 2 people who have become pregnant this way, but i also have a close friend who has been on the pill for 7 years and has had many "accidents" with antibiotics and has never caught. I think it depends on how long you have been on the pill and how fertile you are.

I caught for my 2 daughters on first attempt, but after being on the pill for 4 years it took me 3 months to conceive.

Good luck!!

Ive been on the pill for 7-8 years, we had a lot of sex & my boyfriend always seems to ejaculate more than most men.....sorry if too much info :oops: My period should be due in two weeks, I dont know how much of an effect the antibiotics have had on the pill.

They sell early testing strips on ebay, if you are worried get some of those. Or you can always just to be on the safe side go to your GP in the morning and ask for the morning after pill. I'm pretty sure you're allowed 48 hours on it. But you WILL need to go first thing tomorrow morning.

I think I'll get the strips from e bay, I didnt think it was really that common, you know getting preg on the pill with antibiotics xx

If you really dont want to be pregnant, then i would really suggest the trip to the docs in the morning, i don't think you can use the test strips till about 4 days before you are due, at which point if you are pregnant and you don't want it you will be going through the turmoil of abortion..........

Think about it. The docs isn't at al;l embarressing, if you tell them over the phone they will decide whether its the doc or the nurse you need to see, all they do is take your blood pressure and send you away with a prescrription, no questions just when you actually had the unproteceted sex xx

we had a chat about the morning after pill last night when we realised that the pill would be affected & decided against it, i really cant see me being preg but if i am then we've both agreed that it was obviously meant to be!! xx

ive fallen pregnant twice on the pill with no anti biotics
Hope your ok, try not stressing too much because if you stress it will more than likely stop your periods

:hug:

xxxx

weestar21 said:
ive fallen pregnant twice on the pill with no anti biotics
Hope your ok, try not stressing too much because if you stress it will more than likely stop your periods

:hug:

xxxx

i too have fallen twice on the pill with my son and also this time i wasnt on antibiotics tho
a friend of mine fell pregnant on the pill while taking antibiotics
take care

sarah

Im just gonna have to wait & see what happens by the looks of it, the dates are just a bit too close for my liking & two weeks untill my next period seems like forever away!! xx

Hiya hun, what is your situation? Would you be ok having a baby now?

To be honest, I'm from a biology background (have a PhD in molecular biology) and antibiotics tend to have the affect of rendering the pill ineffective for as long as you take them and beyond.

If this happens, the negative feedback that the hormones in the pill exert on your pituitary hormones (the ones that cause ovulation), will be removed. It is therefore possible that you could get a surge in pituitary hormones released and they could cause ovulation (normally on the bog-standard contraceptice pill, you won't ovulate).

So I guess it depends on your situation. it is possible that you could have concieved, but then again, you may have been fortunate (depends how you look at it) and not concieved.

If it was me and I really wasn't in a situation to be pregnant, I'd get the morning after pill (I think it can be prescribed up to 72 hours after unprotected sex). If it would be ok to be pregnant, then wait and see what happens at the end of the month.

I'm sorry if this isn't what you want to hear, but I want you to have all the information so you can be prepared. The only thing is, I'm not sure about the specific brand of pill you are on. It could be different.

You should also continue to use condoms for the rest of your current pill packet if you've had antibiotics during this cycle. They affect the whole cycle and you are still at risk of getting pregnant.

I really hope this helps you, and that everything works out the way you want it.

Let us know how you get on.

xxxxx

Hi again. I've just looked it up and Cilest does work the way I thought it did. So normally on the pill, you won't be ovulating as the pill 'tricks' your body into thinking it has already ovulated. Take away the influence of the pill, and you could ovulate.

There are other factors to take into consideration, such as the pill makes your womb lining not very good for implantation and it changes your cervical mucus so that it's harder for sperm to get through. So it could be that these things will prevent pregnancy even if you were fertilised.

But like I said in my other post, use comdoms now until the end of your current pill pack (providing you have more than a week left).

Take care.xxx

Hi KJ,
Thanks so much for all your advice, Ive sent you an e mail on here xx

My friend caught for her little girl on anti-biotics and pill, iv fallen PG twice on the pill W/O anti biotics, 1 when i was too yung 4 a baby and sadly had a termination which is a horrible experience, if u genuinely arent ready for a baby or dont want one yet i urge u 2 go 2 the doctors, the 2nd time we lost our baby and then after actually trying we caught for our little boy who is almost 3 months old, a baby really is a blessing i wouldnt ever be without him i adore him

Im having mixed emotions at the moment, I dont think Im preg, Ive been having really bad period pains, Im due next weekend so we'll have to wait & see. Surely it cant be that common can it??!!!

good luck hun, try relax because if your worrying about it, it may prevent them from comming

xxxxxx

Hi Pinkagent,
thinking of you this week. Let us know what happens.
K.xxx

just updating you all, ive had terrible period pains all day & ive just started the beginning of my period, its light at the mo but looks like my pill is antibiotic proof after all!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back