Antenatal classes?

x_PlaceboDanii

Reaction score
Whats everyones opinion?. I personally think their a bit of a waste of time even though ive not even been to one yet:lol:

At my last midwife appointment they gave me some dates for 'local' classes and when i say 'local'..Their ages away!!:mad:, and whats even worse is their at stupid o clock in the morning!, who/what in gods name is up at that time in a morning?, im certainly not especially with a very nocturnal bump!..Honest, he'll sleep all day and then as soon as i wanna go to bed he decides it'd be a brilliant time to play football!:wall2:

I know my mum says they really do help, and that ill make some new friends..But i dont know if she'll think im mad not taking them up or be disappointed?:lol::whistle:

Has anyone gone without these classes and been perfectly fine or are they a necessity to the pregnant woman?

I wouldn't say they are a necessity, but I have to admit I found mine pretty useful. I went to two lots - one set with my local mw, and one set in the unit I birthed in. Both totally different, but both good.

I'd say you should at least give it a chance. It took us a couple of classes to start chatting, but i still enjoyed them.

Also gave me a better relationship with the mw (both my one in labour, and the one who's been visiting).

Xxx

We have just been to our first of two Parent education classes and although it didn't really tell me anything I didn't already know, it was nice to meet other couples and it really helped involve my partner with it all - he was talking to my mum about mucus plugs and bloody shows on the phone yesterday!!! Hilarious!!

Both me and hubby found ours very useful, they give you info based on your own hospital such as facilities, what to bring and got to speak to other couples, hubby also didn't know a lot of the stuff even though I did so useful for him, defo worth going to!

I've been to one and it was very useful.

It had a tour of the hospital which I wouldn't have missed at all as I want to be as relaxed as possible so going in to alien surroundings wouldn't have helped with that.

It also gave good advice on breastfeeding and what happens when you give birth and go into labour.

Mine start this week and ill def be going, wouldnt want to miss out on anything i dont know, maybe give one a go see how you find it? ive heard they're usually very good.

xxx

We went to the nct ones and although I didnt learn anything that I didnt already know I have made a good group of friends and we meet every week which is nice for support when the babies arrive!!
xxx

personally hun i'm not going, because all the ones closest to me are fully booked, my MW wrote down the next closest and it's not until the 7th march and i'm due on the 26th and it's a 4 week course , my sister in law didn't go to any and she had a fuss free labour, i think for the social aspect they are brilliant and when i have my next baby i will probably definatley have them but just because of timing issues i wont be going, we have got the local childrens center coming next week and they do all sorts of classes and get togethers for new mums so me and my sil will be going to all of those when i have harry xx

I went to a labour and pain relief class and i left feeling horrendous lol. I think it's good to be prepared but some of the stuff they were telling me was really graphic and they went into all sorts of worst case scenario situations which may not even happen to me. I did find some bits useful but mostly it scared and overwhelmed me a bit. I think i'd rather wait and learn all i need to learn when it's happening to me!

I also expected to get talking to a few people and make some friends but it was mostly older couples and nobody really seemed to want to speak. That's not to say it would be the same at yours though. Everyone gets different things from them and you may find yours really useful. I think for now i'll be sticking to OBEM though lol xxx

I didn't go, I was of the mindset I will take it as it comes and see what happens I also was kind of hiding from knowing what happens so I wasn't so scared.

Sent from my E15i using Tapatalk

I went to 2 4hr classes, DH found it useful as I had been reading up on things x

They answered a lot of questions for me personally about what I can expect from the hospital. Friends of ours didn't have them and got into a real state keep appearing at the labour ward only to be sent home again. It also gave my OH a chance to ask questions that he hasn't been able to ask my mw cos he's at work during my check ups.

Personally I am glad I went xxxxxxxxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back