antenatal classes

Nurse 26

Reaction score
Hey ladies, i have mine next month

Did you all take your OH? and did he enjoy it or get much out of it?

I requested evening classes so OH could come, they are run over 2 weeks.

Did you find yours useful? xx

Last edited:
Is that Parentcraft? A class the midwives do?

If so, my OH came with me, and pretty much everybody else was either with hubbys, partners or mums x

Yup my hubby came and we both really enjoyed it! The lady was bonkers and it was a good laugh!x

If so, my OH came with me, and pretty much everybody else was either with hubbys, partners or mums x

Oh i'm not too sure! maybe its different in places. i havnt had the letter through yet just spoke to the lady on the phone who told me what dates i had been booked for, i will be 35 weeks when first class starts.

Also going to a breat feeding class thing in next couple of weeks so looking forward to that.

What kind of things did you go through?

I've got two sets of antenatal classes - one with my midwife - it was about a 50-50 split - some folk there with partners, some not - but it was a morning class - so i think there was a few OH's, mine included who couldnt get time off work. It was really really informative.

The other set is at the birthing unit - in the evening, cos they are in a diff district, so diff midwives etc - plus in evening so DH came - i found that class pretty crap - but DH was obviously listening cos twice tonight he's mentioned stuff im doing that midwife had said things about - like the way you sit etc.

xxx

Oh i'm not too sure! maybe its different in places. i havnt had the letter through yet just spoke to the lady on the phone who told me what dates i had been booked for, i will be 35 weeks when first class starts.

Also going to a breat feeding class thing in next couple of weeks so looking forward to that.

What kind of things did you go through?

Yeah think your right, think its different in different places. Mine was in the evening so that may be why everybody was in couples or with mums.

The classes I have been to are 2 hours long and there is 4 all together, I have my 3rd one next week which is the hospital tour. The first two was basically just about the final stages of the 3rd trimester and pain relief information. The class this week was about labour. You do have to do group tasks and get to chat to other mums too. Its nice as they put you in groups and you get to interact with the other couples and it gives us chance to get to know the other ladies too.

x

Hi Hun I've done the nct ones (last one this week) and the antenatal class at the hosp for home birth. My DH came with me and he even said he enjoyed it and def learnt things.

They go through the following:
Pain relief
Breathing
Stages of labour
Your choices
What to take to hosp
Breast feeding
Birthing positions
How to prep for labour
Complications (although not to much to scare)
Birth plan
Basics on how to look after LO eg swaddling, nappies, bathing
What do you actually need (Maslow hierarchy of needs was said alot just to emphasise you don't need all the gimics and gadgets)
Immunisation
Development stages of baby

I think that was everything xxx

OH and i have had our final parentcraft session tonight at the birthing centre, and we have found them really good. Tonight they showed us how to bath a baby. The baby had only been born this morning,she was well cute. I just wanted to snatch her and take her home. x

I did the NCT ones which covered pretty much the same as Sue's. Our teacher was really good in that she laid out the facts to us and got us to think and discuss around each subject. I was a bit worried before the classes started in case we got a happy clappy hippy type who only wanted to teach about hypno birthing (I know a couple of people this has happened to). There's nothing wrong with hypnobirthing, it's just I needed a wider overview of the issues and processes and this is what we got. The breast feeding lesson though was done by another lady who was a bit scary though and the bad f word in this case was formula!

Lol sue, I thought for a min you were having a home birth! Haha

That sounds really good, thanks for the info ladies, hopefully OH can learn from these as he seems to know nothing! Haha

I'm currently doing my antenatal classes, had 2 so far and got our 3rd tomorrow night.
They're actually a lot better then I expected, and we actually look forward to Thursday nights just so we can go and be around others who are in the same situation. OH really enjoys it and really gets involved in the discussions! Usually during the break he goes on about what we've spoke about in the first half like he's genuinely interested and learnt something - so I see that as a definate good reason to keep going :)

Last edited:
Also there were about 8 couples in our classes. We all swapped emails and have friended each other on FB. About half of the babies have now arrived. It's nice looking out to see how we are all getting on. Can't wait for the reunion get together and meet all the babies.

We get a one day workshop which for me isn't until next Friday! I was advised to bring "a pillow, lunch and drinks, oh, and ur birth partner!"

We did the NCT ones too and found them really useful. They were spread over four sessions - Tuesday evenings and two all day Sundays. Was a nice mixture of listening to the trainer and doing little interactive tasks. We have a postnatal reunion with the group too, which should be nice.

I took my OH to mine, he found it very informative as did I. Most people there had their partners but a couple didn't as it as in the afternoon. x

Thanks ladies! sounds like OH will enjoy them :) looking forward to it now, a while to wait though as when i worked it out i will actually be 36 weeks day of first one and 37 weeks second so just in time, at least everything will be fresh in my memory!

Am I the only one who has decided to not go to antenatal classes? I might be a bit too relaxed about the whole thing :-s x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back