Another contraception Q. Female barrier methods v's avoiding fertile times?

CARNAT22

Reaction score
We're not having much sex at all but better to be safe than sorry.

I have gone back on the pill but it's just not agreeing with me, I am a hormonal mess.

OH hates condoms?

We'll be TTC again in just over a year so I don't want the coil.

Anyone used the cap / female condoms?

What about using OPK's to avoid fertile times along with a spermicide lube?

Also bear in mind we have very little sex??

xxxxxxx

Last edited:
Have you thought about the rod thingy in your arm?
Or the injection?
I've not started my pill yet and hated being on it before we were ttc.
x

We are having a bitch of a time with it too. I react really badly to anything which contains fake hormones, so the pill, implant, injection etc are all out. Allergic to latex and can't bare the thought of a coil, it's just not for me. My body doesn't tolerate anything 'implanted' in me as I've found out in the past so there is also a good chance it wouldn't stay put.

It doesn't leave us with a lot and I can't risk getting pregnant again. The whole situation is a nightmare to be frank. Very frustrating.

Have you thought about the rod thingy in your arm?
Or the injection?
I've not started my pill yet and hated being on it before we were ttc.
x

As we'll be TTC again next year I don't want anything long lasting hun... Plus I am not reacting great to the pill so I don't want anything hormonal implanted in me that I cannot "undo" quite quickly?

We are having a bitch of a time with it too. I react really badly to anything which contains fake hormones, so the pill, implant, injection etc are all out. Allergic to latex and can't bare the thought of a coil, it's just not for me. My body doesn't tolerate anything 'implanted' in me as I've found out in the past so there is also a good chance it wouldn't stay put.

It doesn't leave us with a lot and I can't risk getting pregnant again. The whole situation is a nightmare to be frank. Very frustrating.

Mine is a combined pill but one of the ones with a very low dose of Estrogen.

I am not reacting well to it even though I was fine with it for a few years prior to TTC?

We can't really have another baby at the moment - James is only 4 months - so I am thinking we def need something...

I would consider OPK'ing to avoid my fertile time and using a lube with spermicide as we really don't have much sex???

xxxxxxxx

Last edited:
What pill are you on if you don't mind me asking?
The only one I "liked" using, and I say that loosely as I hate the pill, was jasmine. You can't start off on it but can be changed to it. x

I've just had my implant removed today and been told I can get pg even before my next period it leaves your system in hours it might be worth considering.

Have you thought about the copper coil? No hormones, very effective and fertile the second it's removed! I think they're great x

I have a copper coil. You can have it out as soon as you wish, you don't have to wait a long time.

It's made my periods a bit heavier but other than that its been fine.

You could monitor your cycle and if you want to make absolutely sure give yourself at least a clear 5 days before OV without sexy time.

My LO was conceived through sexy time on cd9 when we were avoiding what I thought was my fertile period.

I am on Mercilon, it was fine for me before but it's sending me a little loopy at the moment.

I did think of the copper coil but oddly enough I am quite reluctant to have anyone near that part of me (that explains the lack of sex :lol: :lol:)

I did read up about it, the NHS blurb says you need to see nurse 3 times though [once to have a check-up, then to have it fitted, then to have it checked?]

We're quite fertile, I was pregnant 3 times in 7 months when we had our m/c's so I would be super careful.

Another baby wouldn't be the end of the world, we def want another BUT not just yet?

Wifey, I am worried that as I am reacting to the pill I'd go the same route with the injection???

xxxxxxxx

I always get the copper coil and have never been seen more than the once when I got it fitted each time??? xx

I always get the copper coil and have never been seen more than the once when I got it fitted each time??? xx

'Tis good to know.

How would you compare having it fitted / removed to having a smear (I think I also read it takes 20 minutes to fit??)

I wasn't at all fussed about any dildo cam's I had to have with my m/c's, any iternals during labour or even having the MW poke a finger up my bum after I delivered James BUT the thought of having the coil fitted makes me feel funny!

xxxxxxxx

I got fat spotty and horrible on the pill but think seemed ok in implant my only issue is I was allergic to it :eek: only found out today, I'd mentioned at docs a few times about it burning and itching and they said its nothing they heard of but the nurse said today she is shocked I had it in so long (it is very rare tho). I'm not planning on ttc immediately so was warned to use protection immediately.

It doesn't take long to fit.

5 mins tops. They measure your womb and then fit one the right size. It wasn't pleasant but not particularly painful. You have a speculum in while they measure/insert and that's what I found uncomfortable.

I have seen the nurse 3 times though.

Once for a consultation to check I am aware of how it works and that it is the right thing for me.

Then to get it fitted.

And then after a few weeks they check it is in the right spot and hasn't moved.

I did get a strange discharge after it was fitted but they tested for infection which was negative and said it was because it is a foreign body. It has settled down a bit now.

I did have a bad period though, just so you know it can make them VERY heavy. As in changing (orange) tampons several times overnight. It has settled down a bit though but is still heavier than what is normal for me

Yeah it takes less than 5 minutes to fit. Similar feeling to a smear, certainly not overly painful if you don't mind a smear.
I've never had any follow ups etc, as I say, just the one appointment to fit it (maybe I'm getting a really shit service lol).
To take it out takes less than one second (they tell you to cough and it's out!)

My periods are as they have always been with or without the coil, never had a problem with it tbh xx

Not the best thing but they do the job. Mates Skyn condoms are latex free (thought I'd pop it in here as it took us ages to find latex free ones ;))

I got fat spotty and horrible on the pill but think seemed ok in implant my only issue is I was allergic to it :eek: only found out today, I'd mentioned at docs a few times about it burning and itching and they said its nothing they heard of but the nurse said today she is shocked I had it in so long (it is very rare tho). I'm not planning on ttc immediately so was warned to use protection immediately.

Glad you got your implant sorted, it can be very uncomfortable!
I'm allergic to the implant too and cant take any pill as I react to those as well.

No more babies for us, OH has now had the snip :eh:

I haven't got on with a pill until I tried a new one called Yasmin. They use it for bad PMT too. But I found it great, no weight gain,I improved my skin too.

I'd recommend giving that a try or maybe a progesterone only pill?

Or like others have said the copper coil, no hormones at all.

I have the mirena coil, so different to the copper one but the fitting was fine. And I was told the coil's are the recommended contraception for between having children, as fertility is back straight away more or less. I was told to allow one period after removal before TTC to made sure if a good lining.
I had awful side affects on the implant :( if your feeling a bit iffy on the pill I really think you should avoid the implant :( my opinion though.

I thought the fitting if the coil was fine. 10 mins max I had 2 appointments. 1st was 30 mins and she went through all the options and explained side effects etc. then the fitting. I had 1 check up 6 weeks later to see it was still in place. That was 5 mins. I'm having no probably with my coil. Wish I'd tried it years ago. - but it made me squeamish.xxx

I have the injection. I was on it for 5 years and came off for a break and switched to the combined pill. But the oestrogen didnt agree with me and I ended up sick and then pregnant. Back on the injection now though and no problems. I had no periods on the injection either. I stopped it at the end of November and was pregnant at the end of January (still no periods) xxx

i was on yasmin too...it's great xx

I was on Yasmin until my doc took me off it because they say it's far more expensive than any other pill. I came off it, and my skin has been awful ever since.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ARCHIATER
Back