anit natal classes

Discussion in 'Third Trimester' started by blueberry, Dec 18, 2011.

1. blueberry

blueberry Well-Known Member

hiya ladies just wondered if someone could advise me im due to start my classes in january but all of my friends that i know are expecting or have had children said im just wasting my time and its all stuff that comes natually to you was just wondering if anyone has had any classes yet and what the experience is like as i am going to give them a shot with the hubby in the new year thanks xx

2. titch

titch Well-Known Member

I think its definately a good idea, even if its just to get you and your husband talking about things. You'll be amazed what a lot of men dont know about childbirth :doh: To be honest I got a load of info from this forum and books etc.. but going to class together helped us both be singing from the same song sheet IYSWIM.

3. blueberry

yer thats what i thought would get us working together on it ive read tons of books and stuff on it but i think these classes will help him to feel more involved as well as i think he feels slighly useless at the min lol thank you its always good to here somebody elses view on things xx

4. Kerrieanne

Kerrieanne Well-Known Member

My classes star up in January too. Don't know if they are worth it but I'm sure they give you some helpful tips as well as asking questions of your own on things that are bothering you or concerned about. You have nothing to loose by attending them. Go for it, I hear it makes everything seem more real after, especially for hubby ;)

5. l_maclean

l_maclean Well-Known Member

I've heard a lot of people say they found them a waste of time - but I'm
    Going to mine for 2 main reasons - first to meet other new mums, and second so the DH can get some info.

I figure I've got nothing to loose, and it's only a few hours. If it's that bad I might not go to all 4.

Xxx

6. Constantstar

Constantstar Well-Known Member

We were offered 2 nhs classes. One was birth and labour which was interesting and we went at about 36 weeks pregnant and I went into labour before we had a chance for the second class - bringing baby home lol!! And we managed! I'd def like to have been I both but wouldn't shell out nct money for classes myself xx

7. MrsNumsNums

MrsNumsNums Well-Known Member

Some of the stuff in mine I found was natural and was a bit patronising. But a lot of it was good, especially the midwife sessions about sign of labour, what to expect and pain relief. I was specific to our hospital, and what they do have to offer, etc

8. pinkyprincess

pinkyprincess Well-Known Member

We went to the labour class mainly so OH could learn about the labour etc! But tbh I personally learnt nothing new that's not on here!

9. Zoeox

Zoeox Well-Known Member

A lot of people I know didnt go to any but I am going to,
    Seen as I dont know many people in my local area, I think it will help with that situation, also get OH thinking in the same boat as me :) x

10. pinkyprincess

pinkyprincess Well-Known Member

No one talked to each other in our classes! I was a but disappointed

11. Zoeox

Zoeox Well-Known Member

Oh :(
    That will probably be like mine. x

12. Rachel1509

Rachel1509 Well-Known Member

I've got mine booked in to begin start of January. I remember talking to my brothers girlfriend who went to them while she carried my niece (her first child) and she said she didn't find them useful at all and thought they were a waste of time. But I've still booked mine in, doesn't cost anything to go, and if either me or OH learn just one thing, then it's still worth it in my opinion :)

13. Mrs N

Mrs N Well-Known Member

I am going to NCT ones and they are fab. We have made some friends and DH has got so much out of it and is really confident about what he has to do etc. Would defo recommend but I have heard that the NHS ones are a waste of time (i dont know but other people have said)
    xxx

14. shaidi

shaidi Active Member

I'd certainly recommend them. Im a first time mum, so maybe im naive to kids and what to do with them. lol

At my antenatal they tell you very basic things, and its also great to have someone to ask questions to. An eg, of basic infor was

when they talked about babys poo being black on the first day, then turning green and they yellow. I'd never know that from common sense

I its valuable

15. Susanne

Susanne Well-Known Member

I think the quality of the lessons depends a lot on how good the person doing them is, so in that respect it's a matter of pure luck whether they are really useful or a complete waste of time. But they are certainly a good way of meeting other expecting mums and dads, and for that reason alone I think they are worth going to, especially with your first pregnancy!

16. blueberry

just wanted to say thank you for all the replies found all the information useful just nice to here somtimes other peoples views and oppinions xx

17. poppypd

poppypd Well-Known Member

I really enjoyed my classes, learnt lots! Agree it's very good for the dads, xx