Amniosentisis today - fed up!!!

Mummy Weez

Reaction score
Hi there

I am new member to this site. I normally just read the threads but thought I would join so I could share my experience....

I have not long turned 29 and am mum to a 22 month girl and am nearly 18 weeks pregnant with my second. I got the screening blood test last Friday and assumed that it would come back low risk as I did last time. Well, no such luck. I got a phone call from the midwife yesterday to say I came back high risk for downs. Apparently given my age I should have a risk of 1:998 but have come back 1:160. If you fall below 1:250 you are regarded as high risk and get offerred an amnio. Well, after much tears and confusion we decided to get an amnio today despite the 1% miscarriage risk. I figured that I would be really anxious and preoccupied for the rest of my pregnancy if not. Once I reached a decision I was fine and while I was really nervous going to the hospital today I knew I was making the right decision for me.

Anyhow to cut a long story short the procedure itself was quicker and much less sore that I had thought. However, since i got it done I have been feeling really teary, down in the dumps and generally quite low. I am going to get the results on Monday/Tuesday and for the next 48 hours when the miscarriage risk is highest I have to rest. Maybe thats half of the problem as I am normally so busy and never stop but today I have been bumping my gums all day!!!

Just thought I would share how I am feeling xx

That's what we're all here for :hug: It must be nerve wrecking for you but try to keep yourself as calm and relaxed as possible, keep us posted and good luck for your results xox

Welcome to the forum. :)

My sister's friend came back with a very high risk - I think it was less than 1:10 from memory. She had the amnio and her little boy didnt have downs and if a very healthy and run of the mill 7 yr old now.

Let us know how you get on and we will all be here to support you no matter what the result :)

:hug: Welcome to the forum. I hope the next 48 hours go quickly for you, and the results come back all clear x

I know how agonising it is waiting for test results. I'm currently waiting for the fetal genotyping test results that I had done yesteday. It's like everything is riding on one test and you just want the result now

Try not to stress, if you need to talk, we are here.

I hope the results go well for you hun x

:wave: Welcome to Pregnancy Forum :D

:hug: i hope the results come back all clear and that your weekend passes quickly for you xx

Hiya,
I hope that you are resting up good and that you and baby are ok.
I would have made the exact same decision as you as i could not have rested knowing or not knowing rather.
Im surprised at the age of 29 you have had these results, but everything happens for a reason I believe and Im sure you will both be fine - my fingers are crossed for you.
Take care
Georgia x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JenniferU
Back