Sweeps - how painful are they?

karenandbump

Reaction score
Hey ladies, I'm booked in for a sweep on 22 Nov to help me go into labout and hopefully get that VBAC I'm after. I've never had one before so not sure what to expect but have heard that they hurt.

Anyone got any experience - do they hurt, do they work and would you go through one again to try and avoid a section like I am?

Thanks all
karen x x x

I had one, it was uncomfortable but I wouldn't say it was sore. My cervix was high and posterior so I think that probably made it more uncomfortable and nothing was going to work but that gel!!! I'd have another.

Same as megsmeadow. not sore so much as odd feeling. Like a vigorous smear x nothing to worry about xx

I'd have another. I had 3 in the end so they can't be that bad! Didn't work for me, but I've heard it working for others :) They're more uncomfortable really, but I wouldn't say painful.

I had 2, the first wasn't too bad, with the 2nd I think my MW was a lot more determined :lol:
Neither worked but I wouldn't refuse one next time...

I had 3 sweeps off 3 different midwives and definitely felt it depended on who was doing it - two were fine but the other felt like she was rummaging for Her keys lol!! Still not too bad tho, certainly wouldn't stop me from having them again in future pregnancies

i had one bit uncomfortable but not painfull had it the wednesday morning started getting pains that night and had tegan 3:58pm the thursday x

i had 2 off my community midwife who was so gentle and apologised all the way through.. But it was worth it.. And then a midwife at hospital who did one after my waters had gone.. Why?? I don't have a clue.. She was mean :( i never thought they were painful just uncomfortable just felt like i had period pains straight after x

i had one (at 38 weeks though s didnt work) and it was like everyone ahs said uncomfortable not painful. I ended up with an emergency c section and so would definitely do it again next time round! (the sweep - not the section - unless ness obvs!0 xx

I held my sisters hand when she had one and she gave out a bit off a whimper when she got hers, sounded more than a little bit of discomfort but i think it depends on your midwife.

This midwife was going on about her amazing success rate and i think she tried to do it really hard to make it work.

It did work though, within 24 hours my sister was back in the hospital and gave birth the same day.

I've had god knows how many with my kids they are uncomfortable when your less prepared (your cervix that is) but when I was 2-3 and really stretchy I didn't even feel it just felt the bloody doctors knuckles lol!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Im having one on Thursday and quite nervous about it! x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
joshatflare
Back