Am i over reacting?

meandthebump

Reaction score
At work i have a really nice boss so am lucky. But we have just got a new boss (my bosses boss). She came in yesterday to meet us and my boss introduced me and said i was having a baby in June. Her reply was 'you won't be around for long then'. I said that i would be having a few months off but then coming back and she said (to my boss not me) 'thats what they all say and they don't come back'. Then she walked away without another word.

I am so angry about the way she spoke to me. We are all worried that one of the things she is looking to do is cut down on staff so her comments made me feel very insecure. Am i over-reacting to think her comment was discriminatory? I now feel uncertain at work and am going to join the union asap just in case i am disciminated against in the future.

Has anyone any thoughts on this or should i just forget it? I know i am probably over sensitive at the moment so maybe i am getting upset over nothing.

I fully understand why you feel angry with what she said! She obviously wasn't thinking - or has a VERY VERY dry sense of humour! :shakehead: If I were you I'd try to forget about it - you don't need any added stress. As far as making you redundant, I don't know much about it apart from that the law is most definately on the side of the mother / mother to be, so try not to worry :hug: x

You're not over-reacting at all. Even if she thought that, there's no way she should have said it to either you, or your boss! It's a direct implication that you're basically a liar :x I'd have struggled to bite my tongue if I were you :evil:

You're doing the right thing in joining the union - they can't make you redundant just because you're pregnant, and they have to offer you your job back at the end of your mat leave (or an equivalent role)

At the end of the day, it was a stupid comment by someone who clearly has no people skills - don't lose any sleep over it. I'd be tempted to speak to your union about what she said once you've joined, to see if you have a case for making a formal complaint. Whether you would or not is a different matter, these things are seldom worth the hassle - but just knowing your rights can do wonders to put your mind at ease :hug:

Join the Union.. I did.. and it has made me feel so much better about work-life while I'm pregnant.

It was very unfair of her to say that.. and no, I don't think you're over-reacting.

She should put more of an effort to make you feel at ease in your job.

I know how you feel though.. my boss is useless.. absolutely useless when it comes to ensuring her staff are happy and not at risk of health and safety at work etc etc.. that's why I joined the Union.

Hope it works out for you. She had no right to say those things.. xxx :hug:

Thank you. Right, tomorrow's job is join the union!

I think sometimes women can be worse than men for making judgements about other women. This new boss is very much a career type and has no family of her own. It's unfair for her to judge me for having other priorities.

Grrr

It is a grey area but it could be discrimination if she continues to make comments like that. It would constitute harassment. I would definitely join the union. And keep a log of any future comments like this.

That would have made me angry too, not an over reaction on your part at all, she seems a tactless person who sounds like she needs to say dismissive comments like that to make herself feel better. Ignore it but deffo join the union.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back