Am i being unreasonable?

Georgie0

Reaction score
I would honestly like peoples opinions on this...

I live with my parents. We have a big detached house, plenty of room for us all. Anyhow, my Dad smokes (a pipe) and all through the pregnancy i have tried to be really accomodating ie; i leave the room if he wants a puff. About 3 weeks ago we had a major bust up. We (Mum and I) are trying to get ready for LO, which means dogs are now banned from the sitting room into another area of the house etc, and i asked him if he would mind refraining from smoking in there as well (he has his study and dining room etc to go into). Apparently he was 'sick of being told what to do in his own house' but reluctantly agreed. I know he hasn't been sticking to this and i have just come in to find him smoking in there. The baby's moses basket is in there and, being slightly hormonal, i rather loudly said something about it. My Mum has just told me off, apparently this is 'his home to'.

I know that, i'm not trying to make things unpleasant and i am so aware i live with them etc, but am i being unreasonable!?!

Its a pity your dad won't just stick to the new rules but it is his home at the end of the day. You might find that he will be more willing to stick to the rules when the baby is actually here? Either way you are stuck between a rock and a hard place as he should know better but at the end of the day you are in their home, not the other way around...

I really hope you manage to reach an agreement that everyone is happy with..

I know it's his house but he really shouldn't be smoking even around the Moses basket. The fumes will get on the sheets and it'll even be in the air. Hopefully he will realise the dangers after the babies born x.

i dont think our elders realise as they all grew up around the smoke etc and done them no harm!

BUT the fact youve asked, he shouldnt have agreed if he wasnt going to,

maybe you should move babies stuff like that into another room of HIS choice at least until babys here and maybe he will be more willing to cooperate when bubs is here,

IF he still isnt willing to accommodate baby , you may end up findin iut mre suitable to move out xx

Bless him, he just doesn't think. I know it will be different when she's here, and realistically moving out isn't an option at the min. I think tbh i over reacted slightly (hormonal, don't cha know!). My parents and i are really close, we have a system that works so well but obviously just needs 'tweaking' i think. Thanks everyone for your thoughts.

I think you have the right to ask him not to smoke around your baby but I also understand it is his own house. Do you pay rent there?

We have an odd arrangement, i pay for all the horses and contribute to the general 'pot', the parents pay for food etc and my 4 x 4. Basically we all just muck in together, whoever is feeling generous or flush at the end of the month treats the others to lunch out etc. Nothing formal but it works really well!

i think he will probably realise once baby is born, you cold always leave a few leaflets around about passive smoking and the dangers to baby. would he listen to your mum about his smoking near baby?

if he dosent then keep baby out of his way. harsh i know, but it may make him realise what hes missing just coz he wants a puff!

hope all works out for you hun xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back