advice needed! going out of my mind!!

pringle88

Reaction score
Ella does not sleep!!!!!!!!!!

ive tried everything i can think of and nothing works, ive tried wrapping her up tight, a projector, music, light on, light off, moses basket, cot she just wont settle.

she screams and screams and when i take her out of her cot she stops instantly and falls to sleep on me! i cant get any sleep as shes waking every 2 hrs, she will have a bottle and then it takes her a good 2 hours to finish the bottle..

im on my own so i cant even pass her over to her dad i am exhausted :(

does anybody have any advice or tips pls??

Have you tried putting something with your scent on it in her cot or basket? Like a blanket?

X

no i havent, ill give that a go now, thankyou x

How much are u feeding her Hun? 2 hours to take a bottle sounds long (I'm no expert by the way!) just wondering whether she needs less food and may go down easier?

I have one of those bouncers that vibrate and if I can't get LO to sleep I put him in there with a dummy as a last resort, usually doesnt take long for him to drop off (I then have to transfer him to his basket with such delicacy so as not to wake him...it's like a bloody scene from mission impossible :roll: xxx

Hey hun...I used to have the same with stanley... but now at his feed around 8-9 o clock Ill give him a nice warm bath, massage his tummy and then a nice warm bottle. Give him a little cuddle and then settle him in his cot. His problem was wind/colic and he was the same only stop when I picked him up...thats because I think laying down flat makes it more uncomfy..

The other thing is have you tried propping up the head end of the cot/moses basket so shes not completely flat??

Also, what do you do with her in the day?? is she held a lot?? I find that Stanley gets the hump when he's overstimulated as he just wants to sleep :) as soon as I put him down hes fine.

Sorry for all the different stuff but it's all stuff Ive tried.

Im with you on this one hun, its hard :( BBM me if you wanna chat xxx

hello - I'm sorry I can't give you any more advice apart from going for a walk, my LO always fell asleep in the pram. Not much help at midnight when its force ten gales though. I just wanted to say that it does get better. Tom was the same at six weeks and I was beside myself, he then just one day stopped screaming and slept.

Oh also, the one thing I forgot to mention was a dummy - god send. I found the Tommy Tippee Cherry worked wonders.

Kynon was like this for a while too but randomly stopped on his own needing to be cuddled to sleep, he still needs feeding a lot 2-3 hours mostly but at least he will go straight back down now so you might find she will just suddenly change. I think he might have been over stimulated at times too and I also cuddled a toy for a few nights so it smelt of me and I think that helped. I have a relaxed evening routine (bath and dim lights) but dont force him to go down until he is ready, I think the relaxed approach has helped us loads and if I put him down around 11 he will now go 4 hours at a time, I just kind of do what he wants, like cuddle if needed etc. I'm not on my own but my hubby works away off shore a lot so I know how it feels to be exhausted, my advice is to relax and go with her, if you stress so will she x

Thanks for your tips, ill give some of them ago. I've noticed that she will fall to sleep on me, in her bouncer and in her car seat but she won't fall to sleep lying flat, could I create a pillow in her cot or aren't you supposed to put babies on a pillow?

She is taking 5oz but she really plays with it and falls to sleep after every 1/2oz then when I take the bottle out she cries!

I really hope she just stops because I'm running out of ideas, it makes you feel like such a failure :(

You can put the pillow under her mattress. Or prop up the end of her crib with books a bit.
Sounds like she's comfort feeding some of the time, does she have a dummy? There are quite a few different ones you can try, not that Kynon will take any of them!

Ah thanks for that ill take a look! She will only take the mam dummys but when she's screaming she doesn't have any of it, it gets spat straight back out!

I've been and bought another projector and hooked some cot toys on to her cot with lights on and I've put my blanket in to her cot. I've just given her a bath and tried the massage thing (don't think I did it properly but she seemed to like it) I'm trying to keep her awake now until her last feed in and hour and I'm gna try and give her all of it ( I was letting her fall to sleep after 1/2 an ounce before and putting her down so I've prob been making it worse for myself! All trial and error I guess!

Xx

See thats the thing hun...shes learning to be a baby and your daughter just as much as you're learning to be a mum :) you'll work out what she wants :) xxx

I hope I start learning fast!! Lol x

Awww you will hun and then you just continue to learn lol.

Oh and btw you are not a failure!!!! It's hard work and one of the biggest and most important things you'll ever do.
:hugs:

yesterday i made sure i woke ella every 3hours for a feed and i put a hot water bottle in her cot before she got in it to warm the cot up (health visitor advice) and put her in her own bed... she cried for about 20 mins and fell to sleep by 1:30...didnt hear a peep until 6am...she then took 4oz in about 20min(!!!!!!!) and went back in her own cot until 10am!!!! i feel amazing haha!! xx

lets just hope we get a repeat performance tonight haha x

Hey hun...I used to have the same with stanley... but now at his feed around 8-9 o clock Ill give him a nice warm bath, massage his tummy and then a nice warm bottle. Give him a little cuddle and then settle him in his cot. His problem was wind/colic and he was the same only stop when I picked him up...thats because I think laying down flat makes it more uncomfy..

The other thing is have you tried propping up the head end of the cot/moses basket so shes not completely flat??

Also, what do you do with her in the day?? is she held a lot?? I find that Stanley gets the hump when he's overstimulated as he just wants to sleep :) as soon as I put him down hes fine.

Sorry for all the different stuff but it's all stuff Ive tried.

Im with you on this one hun, its hard :( BBM me if you wanna chat xxx

Totally agree with all of this I'd have said the same word for word! Also try putting her slightly on her side, wrapped tight and slightly propped up.. Small blanket under mattress is good for that.. I've had to do that for all my babies..
Good luck babe I know it's hard!

Also does she only cry after feeds? Could be colic or gastric reflux like Ellie had.. It's so hard when they can't tell u what's wrong :(
Has she always been like this or just recently?

yesterday i made sure i woke ella every 3hours for a feed and i put a hot water bottle in her cot before she got in it to warm the cot up (health visitor advice) and put her in her own bed... she cried for about 20 mins and fell to sleep by 1:30...didnt hear a peep until 6am...she then took 4oz in about 20min(!!!!!!!) and went back in her own cot until 10am!!!! i feel amazing haha!! xx

Didn't read this til after I posted, that's great to hear that hun lets hope she keeps it up!!

Glad to hear you had a better night :)

Just wanted to say that I wouldn't use a pillow hun - not good for her back. I would suggest trying a sleeping bag though - some babies (including mine) refer them. One of the reasons for that is that after feed you not need to put her into a cold bed, she will stay in the warm bag. Same logic with the hot water bottle, so if it worked for you, sleeping bag might work too!

And also when George was just born I had his mattress in our bed, and would have my arm around him. He would sleep on his mattress, but feel me right next to him at the same time. I think it helped hm to get used to sleep on the mattress.

Hope this helps xxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back