Advice needed - ebay cheepies

Solo

Reaction score
My ebay cheepie hpt's arrived this morning. They say that they are ultra early tests - how many days PO can you test reliably with these? Only 4dpo but had to try one out just to see how they work - honest!!! :fib: :fib: Needeless to say BFN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I think there isnt really a standard rule on this one as everyone has different levels of HCG when pregnanct but i think if its the ones that measure as low as 10 units it states around 10 DPO onwards but i only got a very very faint line about a day or so before AF was due the last two times

I am also waiting for my latest batch to arrive i will be 9 DPO tomorrow and will no doubt POAS if they arrive LOL!

Good luck for tomorrow nw1!! Hope the postie comes early!!! :D

LOL thanks hun, it doesnt get here til about 11 so wont be FMU i use, i know it wont show up either but just cant help it

:rotfl: :rotfl:

I know but it is soooo tempting!! There is always a chance - you never know!!!!! Keep us posted - baby dust!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Solo said:
My ebay cheepie hpt's arrived this morning. They say that they are ultra early tests - how many days PO can you test reliably with these? Only 4dpo but had to try one out just to see how they work - honest!!! :fib: :fib: Needeless to say BFN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I got a faint positive at about 13 DPO but I think some people can get a positive at 10 DPO

Fingers crossed you get your BFP in a few days :hug:

Urm yes thats pretty early but we've all been there lol!

Try again in about 3/4 days time

x

:lol: at 4dpo! What will you be like in a week's time?!

According to Fertility Friend, the average day to get the first positive is 14dpo. So some will get it earlier - but some won't get a + till later. For every woman who gets her BFP at 10dpo, there's another woman who won't get it till 18dpo.

Implantation normally occurs between 7 and 10 dpo, and HCG (the hormone picked up by pregnancy tests) doesn't get produced until after implantation - it usually takes a day or 2 for it to get into the urine, and then a few days again for those levels to become detectable. Women will start off with a base level of 1-5mi, which will double every 36-48 hours.

So you can see that if you implanted at 10dpo, with a base level of 1, it would take a couple of days to get into the urine, then another 5 days for the levels to double (1, 2, 4, 8, 16, 32) to be detectable by an HPT (usually 25mi) - which gives you 17dpo, 18dpo if you're testing with FMU. If you were lucky, you'd implant at 7dpo, and have a base level of 5, doubling quickly, with only one day to get into the urine - then you may well pick up at 10dpo with an ultra sensitive HPT (testing at 10mi). And if you're somewhere in between, then around 14dpo is indeed reasonable!

By the way - I saw my doctor the other day, and he told me that the clinic used to use the internet cheapies, but stopped after getting far too many unreliable results, both positive and negative (I'd been getting lots of faint lines, both before and after ovulation). He understood why we'd avoid spending £9 on an HPT each time, but said that the ics are a waste of money too. If you do use them, back them up with a decent test before getting excited. The doc also advised not testing until at least 14dpo, and then only if you have symptoms.

Hope this helps!

That is very interesting Kitty. I assume that it is the same thing with symptoms (although maybe a bit earlier as there will be HCG in the bloodstream) as I always wondered. i.e. that they will only occur after implantation?

after the mc i had in dec, i wont use internet cheapy tests again.
i took ages to get a line on them, and even when i did, i only got the faintest of faint lines.
even when i got a bright positive on a CBE and a CB Digital, i was still getting light lines. And these tests were supposed to detect a level of 10!!!

So i'll just wait till af shows or doesnt and then test then...

or so i say..!!! :fib:

The exact same thing happened to me too star, i wont use them again either..

Claire, you can get symptoms as soon as the egg is fertilised, though you don't necessarily get them.

Although the blastocyst (fertilised dividing egg) does not produce HCG until after implantation, it does produce an immunosuppressant protein known as 'early pregnancy factor' or EPF. It has been suggested that some of the very early symptoms reported by women could be attributed to EPF - for example, the sore throat/cold that many women describe, or very early nausea or aches, or frequent urination. But there doesn't seem to be much research, and those early symptoms could be due to a number of things.

What is interesting to know is that there are chemical changes occurring even before implantation, detectable in the bloodstream and in the urine. In fact, it is possible to test for pregnancy as early as 12 hours after ovulation. The reason that these tests aren't commercially available (yet! I'm sure the big companies must be desperate to get these out!) is because the tests are very expensive to conduct and ethically problematic - they would tell you that the egg has been fertilised, but would not give you any idea as to whether the blastocyst would implant. It's thought that up to 50% of fertilised eggs simply pass out of the body during menstruation. If you were testing that early, the chances of disappointment would be so incredibly high that it's not worth doing. Given that current HPTs have allowed women to detect chemical pregnancies that otherwise they wouldn't have known about - would have thought their period was a few days late - you have to seriously the question the use of knowing at 1 or 2 dpo that fertilisation occurred, when there's only a 1 in 2 chance of implantation, and then still a 1 in 4 chance that the implantation will result in a very early (<6 weeks) miscarriage.

Phew!

Anyway, so many people keep asking about this - I'm no expert but if I get time later I might post some links as a new thread!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kiara.y2
Back