Advice for surviving labour

That happened to me with my first, I had a 48 hour labour and in the last hour it was putting a full length mirror at the end of the bed that made me push him out........I could actually see what progress I was making, and would definately recommend it!!

Hi,

just thought I'd add a bit as well as I had a really good labour and I had been terrified beforehand! I had a 17 hour labour and spent about 12 of those hours standing up as it just felt so right! In hospital I did lots of swaying my hips as well and they got me a cool portable gas and air canister that I could wheel around with me. When my legs started getting tired I got on the bed and knelt up as the midwife put the head of the bed up and I ended up giving birth on my side.

My Mum came in with me and she was great- really calm and loving and I have no doubt that the hugs she gave me and all the encouragement helped.

I did wee myself and poo myself too! I was standing up but I had a sanitary pad on anyway as my show just kept coming and was bloody. I was mortified at the time and kept apologising but my Mum and midwife just thought my apology was funny as there was nothing I could do and I was all drunk with the gas and air at the time and was slurring "I'm terribly sorry, I don't normally do that!"! If you think about it the baby's head is passing through and so everything else that's around comes out too!

As for the urge to push it's not really an urge as the others have said as you don't really have much of a choice. I imagined I'd decide to push but a lot just happened anyway as it feels irresistable- it's just in the last stage that you have to push harder than your body is doing by itself really or stop pushing when they say.

It's worth all of it :)
+++

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back